Eleven Rack Thread

Clinic

Reaction score
Has anyone done a comparison of the Laney IRT Studio vs the 11r? Obviously, the IRT doesnt do effects but I was hoping to hear about how the basic clean/dirty sound compares, especially as both units have a similar intended audience in the live + direct recording that they market to.

EDIT: based on YouTube the laney kills it, but still interested in rebuttals!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pitbulltodd

Reaction score
my usb port got fried during a storm. can i hook the 11 rack direct to an audio interface without needing to use the usb port. maybe use the line out of the 11 rack to line in of the interface, something like that.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can, but you'll not have the ProTools "embed" function and no computer sound editing. You'll hsbe to do all your tweaking on the unit itself. Which isn't bad, but the computer GUI is much easier.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Took mine home last night, but didn't have any time to play around with it. I'll do some recordings and a proper NGD thread in a day or two.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Took mine home last night, but didn't have any time to play around with it. I'll do some recordings and a proper NGD thread in a day or two.

Ima fan of them. I run mine right I to my home PA system with 2 powered 15s. No problem with sound.
I have been using the Sweetwater presets. Haven't tweaked my own yet.
I used to live in Lakewood... There's another member on here who is in the band Dirge Era who lives in the area as well...

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Tested the 11R against my current rig (Soldano preamp in the loop of a Boss GT100, into a Marshall tube power amp, into a pair of Mesa 2x12s) for the first time today, and I came to what might be the most unsatisfying conclusion possible: I couldn't get the 11R to sound as good running direct as my GT100/Soldano combination sounded running through the amp, I started experimenting with all the variables. Neither the GT100 modeled tones nor the 11R sounded good enough running direct, but the 11R sounded slightly better than the GT100. Then I tried the 11R and GT100 modeled tones into the power amp and guitar cabs; the 11R sounded better than the GT100's modeled tones, and it even sounded comparable to if not better than the GT100 with the Soldano.

The desired outcome was either that the 11R was at least nearly as good as my previous rig, so that I could sell that whole setup for hopefully around $2500 and have much less stuff to carry around, or to confirm that my current setup is great as it is and nothing needs to change and I could just sell the 11R. What I got instead was finding that CERTAIN Parts of my current rig can go, but not the heaviest, bulkiest or most valuable parts of it. So now, if I want to run the 11R into my power amp, I need to buy a MIDI controller and probably a bigger rack case, but I can still sell the GT100 and Soldano, and come out slightly ahead financially vs. just keeping the current setup as is. If I want to offload the power amp and and cabs, I'd have to invest in some kind of better speaker emulator.

robski92

Reaction score
Just traded my Pod HD Bean in for an 11R last night, and just from messing around with the presets I like it a lot more already! I made a super basic rhythm tone with the Mesa Rec Red model as well and it sounds awesome. I think I was able to get a decent sound out of this faster than I did with my Pod. Anyone have any patch recommendations or is there an amp model you guys tend to drift towards?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just traded my Pod HD Bean in for an 11R last night, and just from messing around with the presets I like it a lot more already! I made a super basic rhythm tone with the Mesa Rec Red model as well and it sounds awesome. I think I was able to get a decent sound out of this faster than I did with my Pod. Anyone have any patch recommendations or is there an amp model you guys tend to drift towards?

My three favorite amp models for heavy high gain stuff are the DC Modern SOD (sounds similar to a 5150), the Mesa Red, and the Bogner Ecstasy Red. To tighten things up put the green screamer in front of the amp model, and for tone shaping the parametric and graphic EQ's typically are both on in most of my patches I've created. I use the parametric to dial out the fizziness that is inherent in a lot of modelers and then use the graphic to shape the midrange.

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
Hey all....well im thinking of possibly getting on of these I have to buy used so no pro tools and most likely no expansion pack...so I have a few questions and I just want to make sure....

1. If I buy a used rack with no software, registration papers or whatever, can I still use it with something like reaper and plug into the DAW via USB and have it work as an interface? I do not have pro tools, and I don't plan on getting it anytime soon. I only do demoing at home so reaper works fine for me.

2. if I do buy a used stand alone rack, can I update drivers and eventually install the expansion pack on my own if I have no original paperwork or registration info?

3. If I do eventually upgrade my DAW to pro tools, can I still utilize this unit as an interface?

I'm looking to use this mostly at home for practice but also potentially live, so im leaning towards this with a power amp and my 2x12 or a couple of the AMT 2 series pre amp pedals with the same power amp/cab setup...I do like the convenience of the all in one rack, but I don't use a ton of effects and if there are too many hassles with a used unit id pass......any info on these issues would be great

Pablo255

Reaction score
craigny, the software license for pro tools will probably work as with any other software, so you may have to buy a new one or download a cracked version.

I'm thinking about buying one of these as well, it sounds really good and it's a good alternative to other effects processors. I have a few questions:

1. Does it work fine with basses?

2. Can I combine my amp head with it? Is it worthy? I have a Marshall JCM800 and a 2x12" Marshall cab. Should I keep them all?

3. Can I combine this rack with Bias FX and Logic Pro X?

')