Elixir strings users - live chat

edsped

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna spring for the Elixirs. Just sucks that the singles will be $4 + shipping like that other guy said, but 3 singles should be all I need for a whole yeah. Can't beat that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ykcirj

Reaction score
They certainly do. Check out juststrings.com.

I checked out their site...Is a single .60 bass string really $9.95? or does it come with multiple .60's in a pack? Thats pretty pricey if I'm not mistaken, because the .68 guitar string is only around 3 or 4 bucks. It wouldn't make sense to charge that much more if they are made from the same material...I still might buy one to try on my Carvin regardless.

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
I checked out their site...Is a single .60 bass string really $9.95? or does it come with multiple .60's in a pack? Thats pretty pricey if I'm not mistaken, because the .68 guitar string is only around 3 or 4 bucks. It wouldn't make sense to charge that much more if they are made from the same material...I still might buy one to try on my Carvin regardless.

You make an excellent point. But yes they are $10 individual. And thats on sale haha!!

Never though about that myself but yes that is silly.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

They are not made from the same material, bass strings have larger cores. Bass strings also carry about 50 lbs of pull instead of 15-17 so the material may also be different.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You make an excellent point. But yes they are $10 individual. And thats on sale haha!!

Never though about that myself but yes that is silly.

Bass strings are always more expensive, but dude think about it: the bass .060 is $9.95, but if lasts you for 6-8 months, you're actually saving money. Elixir NanoWebs last so long that I only need to change strings twice a year per guitar - and even then they still have some life in them. I'm in an active metal band who gigs constantly and practices a ton, the Elixirs never let me down. I think I last changed them on my main "B" tuned guitar in October and they still feel/sound like new.

But if you take the bass string out of it and compare their electric sets vs other brands, you save a ton of money. Instead of paying ~$5 a pack for Ernie Ball or D'Addarios which sound like new for 1-2 weeks, you can spend ~$10 for a pack of Elixirs that sound like new for 6+ months. You end up saving a lot of money. Plus they just sound much better IMO.

I can't stress enough how amazing Elixir NanoWebs are. Worth every penny. Other strings feel like sandpaper to me now. At my shop I sell Dunlop strings which are very nice compared to most but they don't compare to Elixirs IMO.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish bass strings would last 6-8 months Nick, I really do.. Never found a set that lasted more than 4. Elixir bass strings feel like the worst crap ever though, and are very dull (I attribute that to having more coating by default, especially due to the deeping winding, I find their guitar strings a bit dull for reference sake though). So there is fair warning on using elixir bass strings.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
I wish bass strings would last 6-8 months Nick, I really do.. Never found a set that lasted more than 4. Elixir bass strings feel like the worst crap ever though, and are very dull (I attribute that to having more coating by default, especially due to the deeping winding, I find their guitar strings a bit dull for reference sake though). So there is fair warning on using elixir bass strings.

Who, generally, do you find makes the brightest sounding strings?

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
They are not made from the same material, bass strings have larger cores. Bass strings also carry about 50 lbs of pull instead of 15-17 so the material may also be different.

I've never really compared them but some users on here have mentioned that the Bass nanowebs are near identical to the Guitar nanowebs.

I than assumed they were just bigger gauges but were made the same?

I'm currently deciding what bass nanoweb to try on my 8 string. Was thinking 75 or 80 for a Low E on a 27". Makes me think twice cause you mentioned they aren't the best Myghin!

Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Oh and Nick I was mentioning that it was silly to have the Guitar .068 @ $4 and the bass nanoweb .060 @ $10.

Joel

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I wish they would sell a set for downtuned 6ers that wouldn't necessitate to buy strings separately. 52 is not enough, even if better than other 52s, I use Elixir 52s in Eb and would like a 56 for B standard, not requiring to go single or buy a 7 string set. (Sellers over here do take a significant margin when selling singles) (And yes I want 4 wound strings)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding what bass nanoweb to try on my 8 string. Was thinking 75 or 80 for a Low E on a 27". Makes me think twice cause you mentioned they aren't the best Myghin!

Having actually done this I can tell you it works fine. Personally I'd go with an 80 at 27", I've got a 75 at 28".

I've also used LaBellas and while I like them I notice substantially more string noise with them than Elixirs :2c:

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
D'Addario Pro Steels by a significant margin. If we're still talking Bass.

Should've clarified, I meant guitar. I'm shopping around for new strings, as my go-to brand, DR, doesn't make sets that are exactly to my preference for 7 strings. No one does, actually, so I figured I'd look around and see what I can get as long as I'm buying individual strings.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score

You had to have gotten a dud string then, because thats not the reality of how they normally sound like. I've been using regular NanoWebs and Bass NanoWebs on dozens of different guitars for many, many years. They are not dull. They get some of the tightest, clearest, most brilliant tone I've ever heard. They also sound 100% identical to their guitar counter-parts.

You might be confusing NanoWebs with PolyWebs, which do have a rounder/duller tone (by design) - with much less attack. NanoWebs are bright, clear, and sound wonderful in every way. I don't mean to write off your experiences, but 10 years of using these while constantly comparing them to everyone else's strings tells me the idea that NanoWebs sound dull or feel like 'the worst crap' ever is pure rubbish IMO. You must have had gotten a dud or something. Every NanoWeb Bass .060 I've ever had made other brands heavy gauges sound like slop in comparison. Same goes for the NanoWeb guitar .068 relative to other brands .068-70 gauge strings. I often will replace the strings on the 7 and 8-string guitars that come thru my store with Elixirs and the difference is night and day.

georg_f

Reaction score
to which note would that .68 string be tuned to on and e.g. 26 or 27" scale guitar? F#?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
You had to have gotten a dud string then, because thats not the reality of how they normally sound like. I've been using regular NanoWebs and Bass NanoWebs on dozens of different guitars for many, many years. They are not dull. They get some of the tightest, clearest, most brilliant tone I've ever heard. They also sound 100% identical to their guitar counter-parts.

You might be confusing NanoWebs with PolyWebs, which do have a rounder/duller tone (by design) - with much less attack. NanoWebs are bright, clear, and sound wonderful in every way. I don't mean to write off your experiences, but 10 years of using these while constantly comparing them to everyone else's strings tells me the idea that NanoWebs sound dull or feel like 'the worst crap' ever is pure rubbish IMO. You must have had gotten a dud or something. Every NanoWeb Bass .060 I've ever had made other brands heavy gauges sound like slop in comparison. Same goes for the NanoWeb guitar .068 relative to other brands .068-70 gauge strings. I often will replace the strings on the 7 and 8-string guitars that come thru my store with Elixirs and the difference is night and day.

My experience was with full bass sets, not necessarily the .60 string. They didn't have near the brightness and snap of Ernie ball strings (which would last all of 2 weeks of practice however). I like a really bright bass. I used them in my teens due to lack of access to music stores selling strings (and before online stores were creeping up these things costed a tonne).

Even the strings I use now don't quite have that brightness but it was a trade for a really good low B. A bit more mids on these ones. Bass strings don't get much brighter than Ernies (for nickel).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
to which note would that .68 string be tuned to on and e.g. 26 or 27" scale guitar? F#?

When I've had 8-strings, I used the NanoWeb .068 for F#. It feels like .070 from most other brands since Elixirs tend to have more tension. The .068 in F# balances out with a 7-string set of 9s. If you're using 10s, something around 72-75 would probably match up better.

rekab

Reaction score
Does the nanoweb bass 60 have a standard size ball end? I have nanowebs on my p44 and they are fuckin amazing. Id like to switch my 7s to elixir but 56 is to light and I'm not trying to put a bass string with the ball hanging out of my 7s lol

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does the nanoweb bass 60 have a standard size ball end? I have nanowebs on my p44 and they are fuckin amazing. Id like to switch my 7s to elixir but 56 is to light and I'm not trying to put a bass string with the ball hanging out of my 7s lol

Nope it's a bass string, so it has a bass ball end on it.. however having used bass strings on my 8 unless you like to hump your gutar you won't even notice the ball end

rekab

Reaction score
Nope it's a bass string, so it has a bass ball end on it.. however having used bass strings on my 8 unless you like to hump your gutar you won't even notice the ball end

Won't notice much on the 7s but was kind of hoping to make it work in my Parker as well. That's a no go since the ball would be sticking out the end of the bridge lol

ykcirj

Reaction score
I decided to order an Elixir .60 bass string from Juststrings.com for my Carvin. I do ok with the .56 but would like just a little more tension. The .60 should be perfect. I just hope it lasts as long as the other strings do. Or I at least get my $9 worth :)

')