Elysian Tuned Aperture Pickups - Patent Pending

• Thread starter ElysianGuitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Wanted to share what I've been working on for the last couple of months. I've invented a tuned aperture electromagnetic pickup bobbin, and have been working with a lawyer on filing the provisional patent. That's officially in today, so I can now share my work :)

fcENpXm.jpg

This is the 4 different configurations that can be made with a humbucker.

Here are some bobbins on the CNC, before the tops are glued on:

1rVyAJF.jpg

And here are a bunch of bobbins/pickups I've made:

YZDivEt.jpg

bZvvDOy.jpg

GeFr7Sx.jpg

That last set is Alex's (Purelojik), he's going to be doing clips and DI files for me.

Here's a general rundown of the configurations, basically how they work independent of winds or magnet type. Assume the low string is the left most pole, and the bridge is south of the pickup. This is also assuming bridge pickup.

1. This configuration is the first one I thought of when I came up with the invention. The wider part of the bobbin is under the high strings, giving them the highest volume and fullest tone, whille the narrowest part is under the wound strings, giving them a somewhat bright, focused attack. This configuration is fantastic for thrash metal.

2 & 3. These two configurations are similar with only minor nuances as differences. They're both great for modern metal and clean tones, as they give good bass and tight focus on the wound strings, great attack, and give very clear and full clean tones, almost piano-like.

4. This one is more like a Les Paul. The bass is emphasized, the wound strings are very full, thick, and ballsy. The high strings are still present and cut through the mix well, but aren't quite as full.

Once I get the recordings and DI files from Alex I'll be starting a Kickstarter, and with regards to that, the more shares the better. With the Kickstarter, I'm also going to mix in some rewards related to my actual guitar building business, but the main focus will be the pickups. I'm really excited about this, more excited than ever before.

If anyone is interested before the Kickstarter goes live, I am taking orders currently, and will even give you the Kickstarter rates.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beneharris

Reaction score
That looks like a neat idea. Would you say there would be a difference between left and right handed? I wouldn't think so, since the small and large portions seem to be opposite on either coil.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
That looks like a neat idea. Would you say there would be a difference between left and right handed? I wouldn't think so, since the small and large portions seem to be opposite on either coil.

If they're custom made then they can be made for left/right handed. Ideally I will figure out a modular system so it's easy to swap them, but for right now I'm just focusing on the made to order aspect.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
what type of patent did you end up going with?

i have a few patent-able ideas, but it's so dang expensive.

It will be a utility patent when all is said and done. The provisional is in right now, we'll convert it to utility when I'm ready to.

ihunda

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, interesting concept and good idea patenting it :)
I wonder through how much change this really makes, like is it as big as changing pickups or very subtle?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, interesting concept and good idea patenting it :)
I wonder through how much change this really makes, like is it as big as changing pickups or very subtle?

It's a very very noticeable change. It can also be combined with a traditional bobbin, so you could focus tone via one bobbin, and have the traditional, expected tone via the other bobbin. Lots of options with this. I've been testing this for a couple of months now on my own, it's really been a lot of fun. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so I don't take patenting lightly!

As soon as Alex gets me clips and DI you'll be able to hear for yourself. I wanted this thread to serve as an introduction.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
In Laymens terms, you're just increasing the output for certain strings in the same pickup? It's a very neat idea!

Is there any way that you could have it as a "slider", or would that just cause the wire to break as the pressure gets placed elsewhere?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
In Laymens terms, you're just increasing the output for certain strings in the same pickup? It's a very neat idea!

Is there any way that you could have it as a "slider", or would that just cause the wire to break as the pressure gets placed elsewhere?

To your first question, kind of. The way it works is the fat end physically gets more wire around it due to the increased diameter of every wind, so that end will definitely get more volume from just that. When I make these I make the narrow end about the same as any other pickup, about .300", so you don't technically lose anything with these pickups so much as amplify the other side. Now, the increased aperture will also act to increase volume a little bit, because it's picking up a wider range of the vibrating string, much like how a P90 differs from a standard single coil. It's also going to pick up a fuller range of the string due to the increased aperture.

The winds are wrapped under such pressure I don't think the second part would be possible. I've had the wood bobbin tops break from just the pressure of the winds!

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Here's a general rundown of the configurations, basically how they work independent of winds or magnet type. Assume the low string is the left most pole, and the bridge is south of the pickup. This is also assuming bridge pickup.

1. This configuration is the first one I thought of when I came up with the invention. The wider part of the bobbin is under the high strings, giving them the highest volume and fullest tone, whille the narrowest part is under the wound strings, giving them a somewhat bright, focused attack. This configuration is fantastic for thrash metal.

2 & 3. These two configurations are similar with only minor nuances as differences. They're both great for modern metal and clean tones, as they give good bass and tight focus on the wound strings, great attack, and give very clear and full clean tones, almost piano-like.

4. This one is more like a Les Paul. The bass is emphasized, the wound strings are very full, thick, and ballsy. The high strings are still present and cut through the mix well, but aren't quite as full.
So, uh, can you use these pickups to play something other than metal?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
So, uh, can you use these pickups to play something other than metal?

Uh yes. I'm just trying to describe them to the predominant audience on this site. This is merely a method of achieving the desired tone, so it works in any configuration, for any style. Configuration 4 for example would be great for jazz. Configuration 1 might be better for blues. 2 and 3 would be better for clean pieces, they can actually give usable, pleasant clean tones from the bridge pickup. In the neck I'd recommend sticking to 2 or 3, unless you really wanted emphasize the high strings over the low with Configuration 1.

Last edited:

bugmenot1

Banned
Reaction score
So they are basically adjustable pole piece pickups pre-set to positions I have never seen anyone use but are not adjustable?

Intaradesting.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wow, man, I'm impressed! Ivr watched you grow as a luthier over the years, but I didn't know you had that sort of smart, mad scientist intellect going on, too! This is a cool idea. It's the little things like this which will distinguish you as a true innovator. Just make sure you release this in an 8 string format at some point, or I'll come over there and smack you in the head.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I love ideas like these. Would it be possible to make a slanted magnet or something, so the magnetic field is less powerful as it gets more towards the higher strings, evening the volume back down, yet retaining the fatter fuller sound in the highs?

I think your idea makes a lot of sense, just like fanned frets fundamentally make sense.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
So they are basically adjustable pole piece pickups pre-set to positions I have never seen anyone use but are not adjustable?

Intaradesting.

:noplease:The pole pieces are no different than normal pickups. The innovation here is the bobbin width options.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Wow, man, I'm impressed! Ivr watched you grow as a luthier over the years, but I didn't know you had that sort of smart, mad scientist intellect going on, too! This is a cool idea. It's the little things like this which will distinguish you as a true innovator. Just make sure you release this in an 8 string format at some point, or I'll come over there and smack you in the head.

I'll make whatever people want, even custom shapes for fanned fret guitars :hbang:

I love ideas like these. Would it be possible to make a slanted magnet or something, so the magnetic field is less powerful as it gets more towards the higher strings, evening the volume back down, yet retaining the fatter fuller sound in the highs?

I think your idea makes a lot of sense, just like fanned frets fundamentally make sense.

I'm not sure you'd want that, the high strings already have lower volume due to being so much thinner than the wound strings. That's what spurned this, the owner of the 9 string I built was telling me the volume on his 7 gauge high G# wasn't as loud as the other strings. Wheels in my head started turning, and I realized with the tuned aperture I could get more wire under the highest string.

:noplease:The pole pieces are no different than normal pickups. The innovation here is the bobbin width options.

:agreed:

I edited it into the OP, but I also wanted to put it here. I am currently taking orders on these, even without the Kickstarter being live, so if you're interested shoot me a PM and we can talk shop.

Last edited:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
As far as the volume goes, I've often angled my pickups so the high strings are further away, so there's less gain on them. Chuggy rhythm, smoother leads. Not a big difference though.

It's all a matter of taste though, this was through heavy gain specifically.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
As far as the volume goes, I've often angled my pickups so the high strings are further away, so there's less gain on them. Chuggy rhythm, smoother leads. Not a big difference though.

It's all a matter of taste though, this was through heavy gain specifically.

Configuration 2 would be good for you I think. The top bobbin would have a fuller tone on the higher strings, while the bottom bobbin would give better clarity to the lower strings, giving good attack and note definition down low, while still maintaining a fair amount of low end.

Latest posts

')