Elysian Tuned Aperture Pickups - Patent Pending

• Thread starter ElysianGuitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
hey, what if you made the actual bobbin tops angled too, so when they're put together, the pole pieces get closer together towards one end than on the other end? if that makes any sense? like how single coil sized humbuckers have the two rails really close together and really narrow, while a full sized humbucker has them further apart. What if you made the two rows of pole pieces get closer and closer together towards, say, the bass end?

I'm just really imagining all the possibilities here now :p

One of my main goals with this is to make the pickups look normal. I think that's important to guitarists.

Hey Adam have you figured out any pricing or options on these yet?

Yeah, options are pretty wise open. 6 and 7 string humbuckers are $125 each right now, singles $90. 8 string pickups are $150 each, $105 for singles, and custom designed pickups (such as for multiscale) are $150-175 each, 6-7 string and 8+ being the difference. These prices will be reflected in the Kickstarter once it's started, but I'm taking orders currently for anyone who is interested. I'm still getting every tier of rewards ready for the Kickstarter, my girlfriend is designing t-shirts for me!

I just loaded a set into my personal guitar:

xuXi5vE.jpg

Love em!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Looking normal?! I don't even know what that means anymore! :lol:

I totally get it though, I like it when new parts blend in nicely into my existing guitars as well. You could make the bobbins normal, but the holes for them and the shape of the actual coils underneath different without the bobbins being angled and funky, but then again it might end up being way too big a sonical difference.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Looking normal?! I don't even know what that means anymore! :lol:

I totally get it though, I like it when new parts blend in nicely into my existing guitars as well. You could make the bobbins normal, but the holes for them and the shape of the actual coils underneath different without the bobbins being angled and funky, but then again it might end up being way too big a sonical difference.

I think going much further beyond this would make things more complicated and more expensive to manufacture, if I ever got to that point. The other goal of this was to have something that was very easy to have manufactured.

Aj3bwQ9.jpg

XyfFKQE.jpg

You may notice that in the bridge pickup the bobbins changed sides. The reason was, when I plugged the guitar into my regular practice amp, the bridge pickup sounded a bit muddy, not as articulate as I'd want. So I started going through the configurations but could only get it kind of close. Luckily, I wound these where one bobbin had lower winds than the other, so I had a total of 8 configurations I could try to get exactly the tone I was after, and after swapping the bobbins around, I nailed it. The versatility on these pickups is just fantastic.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
6LswDNz.jpg

Wound this set yesterday. Will get Alnico V magnets and black allen bolt pole pieces. This set goes in the myrtlewood/black limba Espada 6.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Had a walk-in customer come in who wanted a setup done on his 60s reissue Les Paul. He asked me about my pickups, so I went through the whole spiel, explained them to him, and he decided to order a set. Wound that set yesterday and today.

utJY1If.jpg

Parts are on order, they'll be here from AllParts tomorrow, then I'll be able to finish up the set, install them, and do the setup.

I've also found a guy to do my Kickstarter video, it hit me yesterday that my neighbor makes films, and he's on board.

Last edited:

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
sD8gEK3.jpg

This set is ready to go in. Total turnaround on this set was 3 days, including waiting on parts. Anyone want a set?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Finished the install on this guitar today:

bSTcNWn.jpg

They sound fantastic. The owner is playing them through a JCM800 and loving the clarity. He even offered to do testimonial for me if I need it :yesway:

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Did a couple quick DI's through my personal guitar (85 Ibanez Roadstar II RG440):

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/riffing-thrash-original-di[/sc]
[sc]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/death-crystal-mountain-di[/sc]

Here's the clips with distortion (and one with a backing track):

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/riffing-thrash-original[/sc]
[sc]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/death-crystal-mountain-demo[/sc]

edit: Here's another clean clip:

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/opeth-hours-of-wealth-cover[/sc]

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
tEHBgOt.jpg

Potting some pickups. The maple pickup is my apprentices' first wind.

The Kickstarter video has been filmed, now the guy who filmed it is editing it and doing his magic. Got a LOT of killer shots, I'm pretty excited to see how it comes out.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
:noplease:The pole pieces are no different than normal pickups. The innovation here is the bobbin width options.
Thanks for clearing it because I spent half the topic believing these were 4 congigurations for the same pickup and didn't see how it could work. :lol:

Boot-Paul

Reaction score
I just installed a set in my 3120 on Saturday. I only got a chance to run them for about an hour it's been very busy for me this weekend. What I can say so far is there pretty much bang on for what I asked. I wanted a more vintage style pup and he pretty much nailed it. I'm hoping to spend more time on them after the weekend. Very impressed.:hbang:

Latest posts

')