Elysian Tuned Aperture Pickups - Patent Pending

• Thread starter ElysianGuitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Adam, are you going to make these in 8 string configuration, or am I going to have to fly over that are smack you upside the head? :lol:

And would this, oriented with the fat end at the high strings, sound good for straight scale extended range instruments? I.e. Would it mellow out the ice pick tone of the high strings?
Yeah I told you already I'll be making anything the customer wants :lol:

And yes, it would definitely help to mellow out the top strings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
More:

oOBHzBw.jpg

CwIRpH8.jpg

gAJTxpZ.jpg

Got the laser running for the logo today. Was waiting on parts for the 6 string pickups, and found that they got here today, but were delivered to my house instead of my shop.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm really loving the wood bobbins on these. It makes them look waaay better than the standard black everyone else has.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
I'm really loving the wood bobbins on these. It makes them look waaay better than the standard black everyone else has.

Soon I'll be moving towards a machined plastic base at the very least.

rEqAiOw.jpg

These two bridge humbuckers got the seal of approval. Now to take them home, wax pot them, tape them up, and test them.

Last edited:

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Could you make these with wooden bases as well or would that be too fragile? I like the humbucker with a solid face.

I might have to convince a commision to use these ;)

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Could you make these with wooden bases as well or would that be too fragile? I like the humbucker with a solid face.

I might have to convince a commision to use these ;)

I wouldn't recommend a wooden base, the metal base can be grounded and provides a touch of extra shielding. It's also just not strong enough. By solid face, you mean a plate over the top so that it looks like one big bobbin with 2 sets of poles?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
iPaWDLS.jpg

This one ships tomorrow. Tested it last night. It's like a hot PAF, with much better low end and fantastic clarity. Wound to around 11.5k if I remember correctly with an Alnico V magnet.

Overtone

Reaction score
Why does this one look kinda derpy? I thought that was the design at first, but the ones you posted after that look very symmetrical.

oOBHzBw.jpg

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Been working on some promotional material with the girlfriend, here's something from that:

tvjQ62y.png

Also finished up Boots-Paul's set of pickups, testing them right this moment and I don't want to take them out of this guitar :lol:

kBNAw6W.jpg

This is the lamest looking guitar these pickups will ever go in :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
aperturepickups.jpg

Really, the fact that it took this long for someone to make this is surprising...

Boot-Paul

Reaction score
Been working on some promotional material with the girlfriend, here's something from that:

tvjQ62y.png

Also finished up Boots-Paul's set of pickups, testing them right this moment and I don't want to take them out of this guitar :lol:

kBNAw6W.jpg

This is the lamest looking guitar these pickups will ever go in :lol:

:shred::shred::shred::metal::scream::metal:

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/elysian-guitars-pickups-am-i-evil-demo-sloppy[/SC]

Here's the first clip of one of my pickups, done by yours truly. This is just a double tracked recording, done with an SM58 mic and a Line 6 Spider IV. No post production besides levels and panning. Recorded in Reaper using my M-Audio Delta 66. I'm not half the guitarist I used to be, so it's a bit sloppy, but it gives a pretty good idea of how this set sounds I think, even with it being a Line 6 Spider IV.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Here's a clean clip of the neck pickup (and a little bit of lead at the end with light distortion):

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/elysian-guitars-pickups-dee-road-to-nowhere-demo[/SC]

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
hey, what if you made the actual bobbin tops angled too, so when they're put together, the pole pieces get closer together towards one end than on the other end? if that makes any sense? like how single coil sized humbuckers have the two rails really close together and really narrow, while a full sized humbucker has them further apart. What if you made the two rows of pole pieces get closer and closer together towards, say, the bass end?

I'm just really imagining all the possibilities here now :p

')