Elysian Tuned Aperture Pickups - Patent Pending

• Thread starter ElysianGuitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Started a 7 string set for F1Filter.

MAeMrlh.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Here's a new clip from Boots Paul, some really tasty lead work here:

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/boots-paul/adams-pickups[/sc]

Seriously, how killer is his playing?

Boot-Paul

Reaction score
They do metal awesome to :metal:. I'm ordering a seven string set the same spec. I believe the neck pup was 7.5k and the bridge was 9.5K ? very close to that anyway.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
I was asking Adam, but if you're the fella in the clip then hell yeah I want more! Incredible playing, man. I've played that clip a bunch.

Boot-Paul

Reaction score
I was asking Adam, but if you're the fella in the clip then hell yeah I want more! Incredible playing, man. I've played that clip a bunch.

Ya that's my mess lol I tried to show how the pickups sound in real life. It's a really raw recording nothing added to it. Adam has a real awesome demo coming with his kick starter I believe. But I can record some more with them what would you like to hear more metal kind of thing?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
How about 4 new ones? These clips were done by Alex (Purelojik on here) and show the differences in the four different configurations. I sent Alex a set of my modern hot pickups.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/adambath/sets/elysian-tuned-aperture-pickups-demo-clip-performed-by-alex-myla[/SC]

Submitted my Kickstarter for review :)

Last edited:

Amanita

Reaction score
do i get this right: the config 3 is bridge side coil with narrow side towards bass strings?

BTW - i think tuned aperture is kinda misleading as i understand magnetic aperture as the length of string that gets magnetized and therefore sensed.
what is variable here is coil geometry and because of this coil inductance per string. pretty neat idea :D

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
do i get this right: the config 3 is bridge side coil with narrow side towards bass strings?

BTW - i think tuned aperture is kinda misleading as i understand magnetic aperture as the length of string that gets magnetized and therefore sensed.
what is variable here is coil geometry and because of this coil inductance per string. pretty neat idea :D

When I think of aperture, I think of the hole in a camera's shutter that lets light through. That's also what I think of with pickups, such as when discussing the difference between a P90 and a standard single coil, the P90 has a much wider aperture than the single coil.

In antenna tech, aperture refers to how effective an antenna is at receiving radio waves, so a larger aperture means more surface area. The windings on my pickups cover a wider area on the wide end, hence the use of the term aperture.

You are correct in your initial question :)

Amanita

Reaction score
well i liked the config 3 sound the best - the squeaky tight bass strings while treble sounding balanced and not piercing at all so i went back to the page 1 to check the diagram and made sure it does what i thought it does :)

i'll allow myself to move the antenna part of discussion to PM :)

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
hQdJ3oA.jpg

How about Tuned Aperture + hum cancelling + asymmetrical wind + 1/4" Alnico V poles in a single coil?

One of these is only $125.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Whoa, what now? So that little guy is hum canceling? And the narrower part in the middle is going to have what effect? I know in the full humbuckers you have the narrow part at one end, and the wide part at the other, but putting them in the middle will give a thinner sound to strings 3 and 4? Or am I totally an idiot? :lol:

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Whoa, what now? So that little guy is hum canceling? And the narrower part in the middle is going to have what effect? I know in the full humbuckers you have the narrow part at one end, and the wide part at the other, but putting them in the middle will give a thinner sound to strings 3 and 4? Or am I totally an idiot? :lol:

A little thinner yeah, but very musical. This was just one idea I had, but you can technically set the Tuned Aperture up however you want when building them, and honestly this could even be used in humbuckers for further tone shaping. Lots of possibilities here! This pickup in the middle position sounds so much like a neck pickup it's scary. That was the goal here, the person who ordered this has 27 fret Caparisons and hates how the neck pickup sounds, wanted something warmer and fatter.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
I can definitely see the need for that, as the 27th fret would push the neck pickup out of the "sweet spot". Good thinkin, Adam!

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Recently switched to plastic baseplates, so I've started to laser etch the information into the bases.

A8TLvSG.jpg

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
9gDDruq.jpg

This one is a little special (it's actually a set but I didn't get pics of both). It features an Alnico V bar magnet underneath and on the inner coils has Alnico V rod magnets. It sounds so mean, yet articulate.

uvt0KdS.jpg

Hum-Single set in the test guitar, these 1/4" Alnico V poles aren't messin' around!

')