Emerald Guitars carbon graphite acoustic 7-strings

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jim Soloway on Jemsite said:
I just ordered a 7-string acoustic from Emerald Guitars in Ireland. They're 1 piece carbon construction along the lines of a Rainsong or CA. Prices are excellent (although the conversion from Euros hurts a bit). They make two sizes, the smaller X10 and the jumbo X30. Both are availabe as 7-strings. I just put a deposit on an Opus X30. The 7-strings are listed under their custom shop, but they now seem to be in production. Given the scarcity of acoustic 7-strings, this may be the best option available.

Here's a link to their site and a photo of the Fusion model 7-string.

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/

EmeraldFusion7.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
Is it just me or is does the G string come dangerously close to the high B tuner?

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
I think you're right....maybe a string tree in the right place....or maybe they should go back to the sketchpad. That's a pretty bad miss, IMO.

Other than that it looks really cool, tho.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Pretty. Checked their website, but no prices, so I'm not sure how "reasonable" reasonable really is.

Buddy of mine owns a Rainsong 6. Interesting guitar, very clear sounding. It's not very "woody" in tone, naturally, but it was well-defined and very alive acoustically - basically, it sounded about as contemporary as it looked.

-D

Chunkosaurus

Reaction score
I have a rainsong Ws-1000 and I love it. It is my favorite to play. I can't even bring myself to touch another acoustic. The tone and playability are unmatched in the realm of acoustics JMO. I really think the are best as an amplified instrument. I love it so much that it has me learning and looking it to the process of molding carbon fiber to make electric guitars :idea: . Awesome material.

True Story: I was walking through a building I knew fairly well carring my rainsong and miss judged where the stairs started. I fell on the guitar rode it to the landing. The only thing wrong with it was a surface scratch on it. I was amazed considering at the time I weighed 300lbs.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Chunkosaurus said:
The only thing wrong with it was a surface scratch on it. I was amazed considering at the time I weighed 300lbs.

:eek: :eek:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Doctor J said:
Is it just me or is does the G string come dangerously close to the high B tuner?
i don't think it would affect playbility or tuning for that matter either. it'll just put some excess pressure on the high b tuning post.

that aside, WOW!

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
Funny, just the other day I was daydreaming about the possibility of custom ordering a 7 string classical, with silver celtic design inlays for the rosette. I'm not sure how the carbon body would affect the sound for classical playing though, but I shall file the name of this company away in my noggen for future reference. I just spent $500 on a classical guitar, so it will be a while before I need to buy a new one.

Chunkosaurus

Reaction score
Kane said:
Funny, just the other day I was daydreaming about the possibility of custom ordering a 7 string classical, with silver celtic design inlays for the rosette. I'm not sure how the carbon body would affect the sound for classical playing though, but I shall file the name of this company away in my noggen for future reference. I just spent $500 on a classical guitar, so it will be a while before I need to buy a new one.

Rainsong made a nylon string. I palyed one briefly once. It did have a unique nylon sound, really good through acoustic amp. It did not sound very "woody". I can guarantee it would be the most stable and consistant guitar you will ever play. Yet another reason I am slowly going to make a transition into making graphite electrics as well as wood electrics Stability.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
What do you mean by stable and consistent? Because one of the things I like about wood classical guitars is the sound they produce. Wood and acoustics have an alive feel that you can't really reproduce with effects or synthetic products.

Chunkosaurus

Reaction score
I've played guitar for around seven years now and have owned "a few" guitars. I have had my Rainsong for a little over two years now and the one thing I always know about it is how it will feel and sound.

1) Graphite is a super strong and stable material once it is is set it doesn't shift like wood. We have all had a great playing guitar that when the seasons change it goes all out of whack. Graphite doesn't do this because it is impervious to moisture and the height of temps that effect it are only found on the surface of the sun(why nasa uses it for space shuttles and car manufactures use it for brake pads and flywheels). My action has never changed on my Rainsong(all graphite).

2) Graphite has a different make up internally as well that effects the sound. Imagine being able to tell a piece of wood where and how long you want the grain to run. You can acomplish this with carbonfiber/graphite(one in the same) since it is a weave it runs the length of the molded piece with no dead spots (this is why my rainsong has more sustain and volume than most acoustics). It is loud and does have a unique sound but in my opinion is no bigger of a difference that that of a jumbo and dreadnought.

I think graphite is a great material to use. this is my opinion because I like it and have nothing but good experiences with it. It fits my style and I love. Unfortunatley ever ones opinion differs.

Oh yeah it is also more enviroment frendly compared to wood since it is man made. (Just threw that in for the tree huggers)

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
Actually, most graphite is made from coal tar, and is thought be some to cause cancer among those who work with it at length. It's not really man-made, but made by extracting and manipulating minerals taken from the environment.

That said, I am definately interested in the benefits of a graphite guitar, however, I can't say that I have noticed a seasonal change in the sound of my guitars. I started playing my first classical guitar some 16 or 17 years ago and have owned several since. I don't think I would mind having an acoustic graphite guitar, but for classical I think I would prefer wood. Of course, I'm saying this without playing a graphite classical guitar, but I am almost certain i would prefer the organic sound of wood over graphite for classical applications.

')