EMG 707 vs 81-7 question

• Thread starter Soilent1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soilent1

Reaction score
I want to put EMG's in my new S series. I know for sure that I want the 81 in the bridge position. Which out of the two are better in the neck position? I want that warm girgly tone that everyone loves so much. Is either of these pickups better in that position? I read the review on the Evo 7. Got those in my UV7bk and they are the shit! Just want a different tone in this other guitar.

Soilent1

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I've never dealt with 7-string EMGs. But I have an EMG 81 at neck in my ESP Eclipse and I must say it's a fuckin great neck pickup on a 24 frets Guitar. Rather makes fun. Many do the 85neck/81bridge Combo, but I never would. If you want a fat rich full singing lead sound at the neck on your 24 frets Guitar, choose an 81, that's my opinion.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
hey soilent, i'v always used emgs, always, way before zakk, i use an 81 and an 85, i just got a 7 string emg 81 about 2 weeks ago and i love it, i had a seymour duncan sh-5 in there, and it was good, but it wasnt active and i couldnt get that squeel i always look for, anyway, i absolutly love the 81 in the bridge, but i'd definatly go with a 707 in the neck, i'm gonna put one it very soon, it will roll back that hi end sharpness the 81-7 gives you and contrast nicley with warm thicker tones, thats how i like it anyway, by the way, about what did you pay for your emg-7's? i paid 101$ at dons music city with free shippin, i ask cuz i'm an emg addict

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd suggest the 707 or the 60-7 (special order from EMG). The 707 has a warmer sound to it than the 81-7 and they've just released the 60-7 as a custom option. The EMG 60 is a good neck pickup, so hopefully this will be too.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I want to put EMG's in my new S series. I know for sure that I want the 81 in the bridge position. Which out of the two are better in the neck position? I want that warm girgly tone that everyone loves so much. Is either of these pickups better in that position? I read the review on the Evo 7. Got those in my UV7bk and they are the shit! Just want a different tone in this other guitar.

Soilent1

Hey Brooks. The 707 neck pickup sounds really good through my ENGL. I haven't played the 60, but you can't go wrong with the 707, and it sounds like it's what you're looking for.

Hey btw, get in touch with me tomorrow sometime I have a question for you about the Saber (the S he speaks of is the one I sold to him).

Soilent1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that answers my question. Yeah, I have played 6 string EMG configurations, but there is not as much out there for the almighty 7 string.
Just trying to figure out what to order. And yes, $101 is about the best I have seen on these.
Nick, will do!

hucker

Reaction score
Well, on my Viper the 707 got *terribly* noisy in neck. Could be a fault, but I didn't care much for it ;)

Well, on my Viper the 707 got *terribly* noisy in bridge. Could be a fault, but I didn't care much for it ;)

Jan

Reaction score
The 707 in bridge has a tad more mids and is more articulate than the 81, which is darker. So if you plays solos and more technical stuff I would suggest the 707. The 81 is better for pure rhythmwork I guess. I know that cause I have a 707 in bridge and the other guy in my band has a 81. But you should know mine axe is basswood and his some exotic wood (a bit heavier than mine).

Rayder

Reaction score
The 707 in bridge has a tad more mids and is more articulate than the 81, which is darker.

i think you got em mixed up buddy. the 707 is a mix of the 81 and 85, for 7 string, but its more like an 85. its darker, more bass and less highs. i find it muddy and too bassy for what i need. the 81 has more attack, mids and highs. thats why im gettin an 81-7 for my hellraiser. mahogany, 707 and an amp that alreay has plenty of bass isnt a good combo :p

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The 707 is darker sounding than the 81 although it's more of a warm sound than dark, the 81 is more articulate and abrasive and much, much more defined.

')