EMG 707s or Evo7+air norton7

• Thread starter 777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
ok ive got a 1527 on the way from eric and i have the money for some new pups in it, and im not sure wheather to go for emgs or dimarzios, i have evos in my 2004 RG370 and am happy enough with them nice and tight but im looking for some nice strong output with alot of gain which i heard emgs are good for but i also want to still have the nuances of a virtuoso style so i guess the main question is are emgs versatile enough?

thanks again

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
if i had an EMG loaded guitar, i'd put some passives in the other. go ahead and try the Evo/AN7. if you don't like them, you can always pull them and sell them here :)

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
the thing is im selling the RG370 so its either EMG or DiMarzio no in betweens

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh hands down, Evo & AN! I used to use EMGs, but swapped to DiMarzios, and they're far better in my opinion.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I love EMG pickups, but with the extra routing that's required, and all of the other members who say they don't like them, it may affect the resale value of the guitar down the road, where installing DiMarzios will not.

As for versatility, the EMG 707 is versatile for an EMG, but the Evo7 and AN7 will give different tones as you play with your volume knob. EMG's are meant to give consistent tone at different volumes, so that means you'll be playing with a more narrow tonal spectrum.

I would go with EMG's, because I like them, but for you- I suggest DiMarzios for convenience and to broaden the tonal pallette. :)

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
i myself are trying to decide between dimarzios amd emg for my nj series warlock. i don't know much abotu them im looking for a crisp heavy metal sound. is there a big difference in installing them as i would have to get this done professionally. bostjan mentioned extra routing. is this likley to be expensive?

thanks
rogue

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
Oh hands down, Evo & AN! I used to use EMGs, but swapped to DiMarzios, and they're far better in my opinion.

my main git for 5 years was an m307 with 707's in it, then I got my JP7 with dimarzios, and it's painful for me to go back and play the ESP through my main rig...to me the dimarzios just flat out kick the EMGs ass. The EMGs are higher output, but playing through a high gain amp (recto) I just adjusted my gain up some to play the JP7 and I think the overall tone is better than the EMGs.

...and I just got a 1527 2 days ago, and am doing the same thing you are...wondering which pups to throw in...I'm thinking d-sonic7 and an7

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
It depends what you mean by virtuoso style. If you mean having vai-esque dynamics by turning your volume knob up and down during a song. An EMG wouldnt probably be too friendly to that. However if your a flat out Metal shredding virtuoso ALA Rusty Cooley they will work great for you. EMG's are meant for extreme sounds they dont get all touchy feely when you roll back on them they always sound ticked off.

Here's rusty jammin his, Check out the track city of the dead. I dont know if he had switched to the 81-7 in the bridge yet on this one but he uses both the 707 and 81-7 http://www.myspace.com/outworld

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
Question, disregarding how good EMG or DIMARZIO's are..is either pickup harder to install than the other?

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
if i were building a 2 pickup 7 right now, i'd go x2n-7 and d-sonic 7 heh... but regardless, i'd go dimarzio, not emg :D

emg's are nice because they have simple connectors, but you have to replace your pots with active pots(25k i believe), whereas dimarzios you just wire em up pretty much the same way as the 1527 was wired already...

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
rogue said:
Question, disregarding how good EMG or DIMARZIO's are..is either pickup harder to install than the other?

the emg has a oversized pup housing so you will have to route out the pup hole to make it fit.

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
Elysian said:
if i were building a 2 pickup 7 right now, i'd go x2n-7 and d-sonic 7 heh... but regardless, i'd go dimarzio, not emg :D

emg's are nice because they have simple connectors, but you have to replace your pots with active pots(25k i believe), whereas dimarzios you just wire em up pretty much the same way as the 1527 was wired already...

replace with active pots....sorry i don't understand what you mean?

j7899

Reaction score
EMG's and most active pickup require pots with a 25K value, while passive pickups usually use 250K, 500K, and even a 1M pot. Running an active pickup through a 250K or 500K pot sounds terrible, running a passive with a 25K pot would result in an extremely bright sounding pickup(If I remember correctly).

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
ok thanks once i get my new pickups in about a month then iv decided im going to install them myself because i cant afford to get it done professionally and i have to learn myself one day. my dads an electrical enginer so between us we should manage it. if anyone knows a site with instructions/circitry diagrams for EMG 18-7 and 707 it would be a big help. im going to put them in my warlock :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
rogue said:
ok thanks once i get my new pickups in about a month then iv decided im going to install them myself because i cant afford to get it done professionally and i have to learn myself one day. my dads an electrical enginer so between us we should manage it. if anyone knows a site with instructions/circitry diagrams for EMG 18-7 and 707 it would be a big help. im going to put them in my warlock :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

EMG's come with the new pots and it's VERY simple to change them and install the pickups (minus the whole routing thing).

http://www.emgpickups.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-707.pdf

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i hope you've got a good router setup... a dremel router would work, but would not produce results that look "good" by any means...

')