EMG 81-7 sounds thin

• Thread starter inhuman666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

deathsguitarist

Reaction score
If you can't dial it in or none of the others suggestions work for you, seriously try trading it for a 707. I have a feeling you will like it a lot more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Change the battery. it could just be dying, and my 81's start to sound like dick when they get low.

Buy a decent set of rechargeables to keep alternating in the guitar. One set in use, the other set charging. Do't forget rechargeable batteries lose their charge a a rate of about 1% per day. they'll need changing at least every 3 months, so bear that in mind. Even then, I'd rather pay $7 for a rechargable, than $15 for a pair of 9v's every few months.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
He said he changed the battery already.

Also, EMG batteries really only need to be replaced every year or two, even with regular play, as long as you unplug the guitar when it's not in use.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
EMG's are way focused in comparison to alot of passive pickups so it could just be your ears not bein adjusted to the tonal differences yet. could also be ur settings, actives require alot less gain, presence and highs than passive pickups do. try dialing those back if you havent already.

however, i found the 81-7 to be lacking too in every guitar that ive heard it in, just too bright and seemed to be missing that thick bottom and low mid that makes a 7 string roar. i prefer the EMG 707 or Seymour Duncan Blackout over the 81-7. both are less bright and have more emphasis on the low mids. either one of those will give you the thicker tone that ur lookin for

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah... 81-7's are naturally really thin sounding, just check this clip out and hear how "thin" they sound! :yesway: :lol: :wallbash:

:bowdown::bowdown:

All jokes aside, if you feel they aren't up to snuff, I wouldn't recommend the 707 as an alternative to an 81-7 as they sound spongy/single coil-ish and are tonally very different IMO. If you're after the tone of the 81-7 and feel it needs a little more girth (after ruling out pick-up hight, battery's, EQing etc etc), then the 18v mod/81-7x or Blackouts would be more appropriate choices.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
What about the pickup height?

Usually, de 81 needs to be almost touching the string for ultra masive chuggah chuggah from the averns of hell :lol:

^ That's true too.

Every time I've had EMGs installed they're damn close to the strings.

I've always found that they actually sound better backed off from the strings (despite EMG recommending putting them as close as possible).

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
The solutions are:

put the 18v mod in your Stealth (I did the same and it was very worthy with the 81-7, much bigger sound).

swap it with the 707, you'll get a much more "Nevermore" sound, much bigger.

inhuman666

Reaction score
rolled back the gain and treble on the GT6 and guitar sounds SICK!

guess the settings for the passives don't work for the EMG's

thanks for the suggestions guys

inhuman666

Reaction score
guitar sounding thin once more.

how do I troubleshoot the wiring and pickup?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
guitar sounding thin once more.

how do I troubleshoot the wiring and pickup?

There's only two wires, right? Make sure the hot one is properly connected and make sure all your grounds are properly secured....? :shrug:

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I second the blackouts idea! I find they tend to sound very big and meaty compared to EMG

Although they sounds fuller than EMG i found them messy and very undefined, beside the fact that they have too much gain and didn't cut as well than my EMGs in mix, that's why i kept coming back to them.

casketshrine

Reaction score
Not sure about 81-7s as I have 707s but EMG 81 does NOT sound thin. Compared to the passives I use, it sounds different but not thin or inferior.

Having said that, Blackouts are also great pickups. You will be happy with those as well. I have both the 6 and 7 string versions and they sound great. I would not go as far as saying EMGs are inferior to Blackouts but its just a matter of taste.

Besides, as suggested before by other users, you probably want to change your settings a bit and dial in the tone until it is to your liking.

')