EMG 81 sounds muddy

• Thread starter SimonEriksson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SimonEriksson

Reaction score
Hi! I got to play all of my guitars tonight after being unable to play some of my guitars for a few weeks due to moving.

I have a Jackson Soloist SLX with EMG's, EMG 81 in the bridge position and EMG 85 in the neck position.

The thing is, the EMG's sounds so muddy, the EMG 85 aint to bad but the EMG 81 is very,very muddy.I have a chamberd Les Paul copy with mahogany neck and body that also have EMG's and it sounds a lot brighter.

The Jackson is basswood but my Ibanez RG870QMZ is also basswod but is sounds way brighter and tighter even though it's got passive pickups.

The guitar did not come stock with EMG's, I had my local guitar store install them for me last summer.

I'm thinking of trying to do an 18volt mod on it and see if that helps, I just find it weird that it sounds so muddy. I can take a few pics tomorrow and show you the wiring, it still got some groundwires in there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
:scratch:

That sure is strange. EMGs (81 in particular) are generally not considered 'muddy'... 'compressed' or 'sterile' but never muddy... :scratch:

Are you sure you have the 81 in the bridge? The EMG logo on the 81 is always silver, 85 being gold, 60 is grey, and 89 is like a copper colour.

Only other thing I can think of is that you got a bad (non resonant) piece of timber for the body/neck...

Good luck in any case. :)

SimonEriksson

Reaction score
Yes it's really weird. The guitar sounded bright and ''normal'' before the pickup change.

The thing is, I tuned the entier guitar to D when I had the EMG's installed, and I did notice when I got it that it sounded muddy but I figured that it was only because of the new tuning and thicker strings but now when I have all my guitars again and I can try them and compare them I really tell that the Jackson sounds a lot muddier than the other guitars, and I have all my guitars tuned to D.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I really have no idea what to make of this. Are the pots 25k or whatever? Maybe the pickup is messed up, I've never really even heard of this issue anywhere else.

SimonEriksson

Reaction score
I'll try lower the pickup height.

If that doesn't work, I'll take the 81 out of my Les Paul and put it in my Jackson and see if it makes a difference.

The pots are the EMG quick connect pots that came with the pups.

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
You've probably done this, but have you changed the 9v? I have 81-85 and 81-7 and 707 and they're all mega bright haha

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
If lowering the 81 doesn't work, then try raising it.

If the 85 isn't sounding muddy in the neck, then it should sound great for you in the bridge.

Reaction score
I tried a certain brand of strings once a very long time ago, and they were so horrifically muddy I removed them the same day.

Sometimes little things that don't seem like they would change tone much, can have a huge effect.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I tried a certain brand of strings once a very long time ago, and they were so horrifically muddy I removed them the same day.

Sometimes little things that don't seem like they would change tone much, can have a huge effect.

Such an appropriate comment with that username! :lol: But yeah! Sometimes little things can really affect your instrument...+1 to lowering the pickup and maybe trying new strings. Also def try swapping the pickup switch your LP just to see if it isn't the pickup that's faulty..never heard of that happening but I guess it's possible.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
EMGs need to be really close to the strings because they have a weak magnetic field. Get them up to the strings.. much closer than passives.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
EMGs need to be really close to the strings because they have a weak magnetic field. Get them up to the strings.. much closer than passives.

Errr.. no... they dont "need" to be close to the strings. On one of my 6's i have and 81 and 60 lowered to about pickup ring height, gives it a nice open, cutting tone, much more natural sounding than when they were 3mm from the strings, and on my 7 I have an 81-7 and 707TW and they're closer, which gives a warmer, more saturated tone.

SimonEriksson

Reaction score
Hi! I tried to lower the pickup but sadly, no real difference.

I can't install the other 81 today either because I have'nt found my allen wrenches yet :rolleyes:

I tried lowering it to the same height as the LP, still muddy, then I tried to raise it higher than the LP but it still sounds muddy and dull.

I had a weird problem on my LP before when the neck pickup sounded very weak and it turned out to be a wire from the switch that wasn't connected properly to the emg ''hub'', I checked all the wires in the Jackson and they are all well connected but as I said before, there is a few ground wires left, the ground to the springclaw and a few others that are connected to the wood in the cavity via these

http://www.stratcat.biz/images/268-529-7312-l.jpg

My LP has no ground wires at all, could that be it?

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't need ground wirees for active systems. Also have you tried s new battery?

SimonEriksson

Reaction score
Yes I've tried with a new battery, no difference.

Should I remove all the ground wires and rewire the entire guitar myself?

Carver

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Reaction score
if you spin the tone pot do you notice a difference? or is it the same type of out put?

If you do notice a difference, then i would go for a full re wire. if you dont notice a difference, then the tone pot may very well be shot and "stuck" in a filtered position that is not allowing the full signal to pass.

Garlic Owl

Reaction score
what amp are you playing it through? i've never heard of an EMG 81 sounding muddy.

')