EMG Alexi Laiho HZ Vs EMG 81

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ekulggats

Reaction score
too technically inept

Should be a direct swap w/quick connect to an EMG h2 which is what the boost was meant for... and would sound far better.

You may have clip one lead to take power away from the pickup. But thats it. There's no 250k or 500k version of the MM-04 lol.

Last edited:

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tone is obviously subjective, and everybody hears different shit, but a dark and muddy EMG 81?

The 81-7 in my stealth is super super dark, it's tight and punchy but very dark. Not great on the clarity department but that's about all it lacks besides being super low mid and bass focused. It's still really hot and can do the metallic clank thing but it's so dark and bassy. Some of that might be the guitar but that's certainly not all of it, maybe 50%.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The 81-7 in my stealth is super super dark, it's tight and punchy but very dark. Not great on the clarity department but that's about all it lacks besides being super low mid and bass focused. It's still really hot and can do the metallic clank thing but it's so dark and bassy. Some of that might be the guitar but that's certainly not all of it, maybe 50%.

Contrary to what people say, the guitar can influence the sound of EMGs. It doesn't sound the same in every guitar. I had EMGs that sounded tight and bright as fuck, and some that sounded super dark and borderline muddy.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If the guitar already has the EMG quick connect system try other EMG passives. There's still the H3 and H4 to try
Contrary to what people say, the guitar can influence the sound of EMGs. It doesn't sound the same in every guitar. I had EMGs that sounded tight and bright as fuck, and some that sounded super dark and borderline muddy.
Agreed. One guitar that I can definitely notice EMG's sounded different in are Les Pauls. I find 81's in LP's to sound fucking awesome a lot of the time.

')