EMG Alexi Laiho HZ Vs EMG 81

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ozzman619

Reaction score
Ive recently bought a ESP LTD Alexi-600 and it came stock with a EMG H2 which i am current not liking at all. It seems like theres just not enough output or gain to it, but i do like its tone as the passive EMG. So i was thinking of either getting a EMG 81 because they are my go to pickup OR the EMG Alexi Laiho HZ.

Does anyone have the Alexi Laiho Emg and could maybe compair it to a 81?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
Ive recently bought a ESP LTD Alexi-600 and it came stock with a EMG H2 which i am current not liking at all. It seems like theres just not enough output or gain to it, but i do like its tone as the passive EMG. So i was thinking of either getting a EMG 81 because they are my go to pickup OR the EMG Alexi Laiho HZ.

Does anyone have the Alexi Laiho Emg and could maybe compair it to a 81?

I had a Jackson rr24 that I swapped the 81 out for the Alexi EMG, and it's a night and day difference. You have a more organic, muddy tone with the 81, whereas the Alexi is just like the Jackson J50-BC; HIGH output and there is a subtle 'wah' effect if you listen to it thru headphones. The passive pickups (atleast the HZ and the Alexi) have a very sterile tone to it; very bright, unlike the 81 that is dark and muddy.

I was a HUGE Alexi/Sinergy fan, so therefore I fell in love with his tone... but go for his pup if that is the sound you are looking for. This video might give you an idea of how his EMG pup will sound (I was using the J-50BC/JE-1000 and they are the same as the Alexi EMG w/booster).

Here is a guy playing the same guitar but with the EMG 81

Good luck in your decision. Go with your ears. The booster with the Alexi EMG will give it more gain for sure, but still, the tonal qualities of the Alexi EMG vs the 81 are very different.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
IMO CoBs tone has been horrible since FTR, but on hatebreeder its the best, low gain and super clean sounding! :)

No opinion on the HZ, but I significantly preferred SD Blackouts to the EMG81 in my ESP SV.

ozzman619

Reaction score
I honestly love all of children of bodoms tones over the years, im not trying to copy their sound exactly but i am going for a really bright, mid heavy high gain tone which is why i like the Alexi over the 81, to me it sounds the alexi is a lot more of an open sound to it compairs to the 81.

What about the gain boost though, would i have to drill a spot to put that in?

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
I have both of these pickups.
The HZ is in a esp custom shop alexi scythe
The 81 was in a jackson usa ke2, now in a king v clone.
So the woods/guitars are not direct comparisons but I can give you an idea of what it sounds like to me.

The HZ has a lot more mid-range than the 81. I hated the HZ at first as well, seems very crunchy? crusty? brittle? harder to eq a solid distortion tone than the 81. In time you will figure out how to eq a better tone with the HZ. It sounds amazing through tube amps, but it sounds very sterile and weaker through solidstate amps. I can now get very similar tones through either pickup, it is just more work to dial in the HZ whereas the 81 takes little eq tweaking.

My guitar was made before Alexi added the booster so I think my wiring is similar to what you've got, the HZ sounds very similar to a jackson J-50 humbucker. I had a jackson usa fusion with one of these and they sound nearly identical. I also read Alexi chose the HZ because it was most similar to the J-50 in his old jacksons.

If you want a new passive pickup I'd suggest a seymour duncan model over an 81. It will be less work to instal and will be an improvement on the HZ tone depending on which pickup you like. I like JB/Jazz humbucker set for my 6 strings

ozzman619

Reaction score
Ive got a few seymour duncans and they do sound great, ive got a dimebucker im a dean ml and a custom wound screaming demon in a charvel but neither of them have that midranged growl im looking to get. I can get a really decent tone with my 81's but i think ill try the alexi and if worse comes to worse and i dont like it, ill just throw it in one of my practice guitars.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I had HZs in my Jackson DXMG before I threw real EMGs in it (actives). They were decent, but nothing exciting. Kind of muddy to my ears.

If you really want that early COB tone find a Jackson J50BC on Ebay. I believe Alexi still records with this pup regardless of his EMG endorsement. Along with the J90C lots of Jackson fans think it's something like the holy grail of tone.

feilong29

Reaction score
I had HZs in my Jackson DXMG before I threw real EMGs in it (actives). They were decent, but nothing exciting. Kind of muddy to my ears.

If you really want that early COB tone find a Jackson J50BC on Ebay. I believe Alexi still records with this pup regardless of his EMG endorsement. Along with the J90C lots of Jackson fans think it's something like the holy grail of tone.

I promise that the Alexi pup sounds exactly like the J50BC.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I promise that the Alexi pup sounds exactly like the J50BC.

Well, I knew that it was modeled after it but didn't think it was an exact copy. I mean, feel free to use whatever you think sounds good. HZs just sound blah to my ears.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
im not trying to copy their sound exactly but i am going for a really bright, mid heavy high gain tone

In all honesty, if you're just looking for a bright and midsy gain tone and don't want to copy Alexi, go for a SD Distortion! It sounds really awesome in Alder, super fat, aggressive, heavy and midsy, plus its cheaper than the EMGs. I consider it to be the ultimate thrash metal pickup in alder bodied guitars!

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
HZ = passive
81 = active

So IMHO I think the direct comparison between the two is not fair to either one. If the OP is not settled on Passive/active and is willing to try passives, why stop at the EMG HZ? Go for DiMarzio, SD, BKP...etc. and they may have better options.

As for the 81 and from personal experience, yes it sounds muddy when it operates under 9v, but with the 18v mod, it sounds like a completely different (and better) pickup, "it comes to life" probably is not that much of exaggeration.

ozzman619

Reaction score
Ive tried out a few DiMarzio's and the only ones ive ever liked (and own) were the Super Distortion and the D-activators, As for seymour duncans, i do have the a JB, a custom shop Screaming Demon (which is sick for hairmetal tones) and the Dimebucker but all of my Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios lack the sound and tone that i love out of the EMG's. The EMG 81 has the tone characterists im looking for but i just wish it was a bit less compressed and more open with a bit more mid bite to it.

One pickup that is catching my eye though is the Seymour Duncan Invader, does anyone have one of those, it seems like out of all of the seymours it might be the closest one to what im looking for.

wakjob

Reaction score
Never in my life have I heard a muddy EMG 81.

Bad pot? Dead battery? Wired wrong?

I actually like the Jackson CVR2 pu's a lot.

charlieshreds

Reaction score
85 in the bridge all day,dude! It's a lot thicker and nicer without getting muddy.I love emg,but,yeah the 81 in the bridge is meh.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
necro'ing in this thread - I'm having a really hard time modeling a tone with active blackouts + mm04 boost

ekulggats

Reaction score
Didn't realize this was a decade old post. So anyway... lol.

Which tone are you trying to model with the blackout and MM-04? Blooddrunk? /\ /\

Last edited:
')