EMG custom shop pickups?

• Thread starter Krypteia713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krypteia713

Reaction score
Anybody know if it is possible to have EMG custom make you a pickup?Or is that only available to endorsed artists?I looked on EMG's website but could not find a link anywhere to their custom shop.I'de kill for a seven string version of the EMG-H or EMG-HA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
My suggestion, if you want these pickups bad enough, you have 2 options off the top of my head.

1) Join a band, become very famous and have a recognized name, convince EMG that your custom pickup will sell

2) Buy the pickup you want a 7-string version of. Buy one of the EMG 81-7's or 707's doesn't really matter. Take apart the 6-string pickup, closely analyze everything about the pickup, how it works, what parts are used, and get an electronic measurement on every variable.

Then, from looking at the 7-string pickup disected, extrapolate the variables on the 6-string model, giving you an idea of what should be added to accomidate the 7th string, and build your own custom EMG using the data collected and the 81-7 housing.

As you can see, neither of these options is an easy task. Personally, I'd pick the first over the 2nd, at least until I get my EE degree. If you know someone with an EE degree, or some serious audio-engineering experience, talk to them about custom designing a pickup. :squint:

Krypteia713

Reaction score
7stringninja said:
My suggestion, if you want these pickups bad enough, you have 2 options off the top of my head.

1) Join a band, become very famous and have a recognized name, convince EMG that your custom pickup will sell

2) Buy the pickup you want a 7-string version of. Buy one of the EMG 81-7's or 707's doesn't really matter. Take apart the 6-string pickup, closely analyze everything about the pickup, how it works, what parts are used, and get an electronic measurement on every variable.

Then, from looking at the 7-string pickup disected, extrapolate the variables on the 6-string model, giving you an idea of what should be added to accomidate the 7th string, and build your own custom EMG using the data collected and the 81-7 housing.

As you can see, neither of these options is an easy task. Personally, I'd pick the first over the 2nd, at least until I get my EE degree. If you know someone with an EE degree, or some serious audio-engineering experience, talk to them about custom designing a pickup. :squint:

Thanks haha I think I'll give the first one a shot, seems a lot easier time to go woodshed and gain hellish chops.:hbang:

goth_fiend

Reaction score
7stringninja said:

only problem there is that emg's are epoxy enclosed, good luck getting the interal components out of em

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
goth_fiend said:
only problem there is that emg's are epoxy enclosed, good luck getting the interal components out of em

I was about to say that but you beat me to it!

Don't forget option 3:
3) become rich any way you can, buy EMG from it's current owners and make a custom shop to build you said pickups.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:
I was about to say that but you beat me to it!

Don't forget option 3:
3) become rich any way you can, buy EMG from it's current owners and make a custom shop to build you said pickups.

In America, you only need to own 51% of a company to have your way every day! :agreed:
That's why they call George Steinbrenner "the Principal Owner". ;)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
goth_fiend said:

With anything short of a nuclear bomb. :lol:

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
Anything can be taken apart. It's just a matter of how far you are willing to go to protect what's inside :p

IF I were to TRY and take one of these bad boys apart, my first approach would probably be using a bench-grinder to slowly shave the plastic away. It sure would suck to grind the insides on accident though. :nono:

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
bostjan said:
You could NMR and x-ray the thing to see inside w/o destroying it.

Or better yet use Osmosys (sp*)

Remember that experiment in highschool/middleschool science where the inside of the egg comes out of the shell without breaking the shell. Or something.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Osmosis rules!

What about theta waves?

Anyone try emailing EMG today? I got a return-to-sender from trying the email addy posted on their site.

')