Emg - lundgren pot info

• Thread starter Crucified
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
In my rg2228 i went from emg 808s to lundgren m8's. what is the difference in how the pots should be set up. i know emg pots are different. Should the pots be changed or can they stay the same? Can you place a limiter or something like that in the cavity to make them sound better/different/worse. any info would be greatly appreciated.

right now the setup on my guitar is just terrible, i can hardly play it. Makes me so mad, can't wait to get that changed and the pickups are way, way too low and sound generally terrible. help me out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
EMGs normally use 25k pots, and passive humbuckers uses 500k pot (people use also 1000k pots and 250k for the singles).

So that's maybe the problem.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
In my rg2228 i went from emg 808s to lundgren m8's. what is the difference in how the pots should be set up. i know emg pots are different. Should the pots be changed or can they stay the same? Can you place a limiter or something like that in the cavity to make them sound better/different/worse. any info would be greatly appreciated.

right now the setup on my guitar is just terrible, i can hardly play it. Makes me so mad, can't wait to get that changed and the pickups are way, way too low and sound generally terrible. help me out!

Alright, someone else installed M8's....yes, Frank is correct, you need to use 500k pots to get the correct tone - with the stock EMG 25k pots your tone would very dark and muffled, like draping a wet, wool sweater over your speakers. Quite a shitty tone indeed, and hardly doing justice to such awesome pickups. I started off with a 5ook pot on mine, but recently changed it to a 1Meg pot, and it sounds killer.
Way to go man, now get the correct pots ! :yesway:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
awesome +rep to you both, i thought that was the problem because yeah, it sounds just awful and muddy and shitty. thanks!

also, does anyone know of any pots that don't require routing to install, i guess the pots the dude had in stock wouldn't fit, so we didn't use them.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
awesome +rep to you both, i thought that was the problem because yeah, it sounds just awful and muddy and shitty. thanks!

also, does anyone know of any pots that don't require routing to install, i guess the pots the dude had in stock wouldn't fit, so we didn't use them.

Go to a guitar accesories dealer, he sure has the correct size. EMG IIRC has short and large pots, take them and go to the accesories shop and ask for that size but in 500k.

Alright, someone else installed M8's....yes, Frank is correct, you need to use 500k pots to get the correct tone - with the stock EMG 25k pots your tone would very dark and muffled, like draping a wet, wool sweater over your speakers. Quite a shitty tone indeed, and hardly doing justice to such awesome pickups. I started off with a 5ook pot on mine, but recently changed it to a 1Meg pot, and it sounds killer.
Way to go man, now get the correct pots ! :yesway:

I want to test that also, which are the changes on the sound aspect? And if it has another better changes upgrading to 1k pots.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
what for? not bright enough for your tastes?

Just curious how it would sound. A pot's not exactly major surgery. But also keep in mind that I play a strat with a maple fretboard and I want an all maple guitar :lol:

Rather I should say I want to try out 1 megaohm pots period. Not on my Strat though.