EMG neck options

• Thread starter angl2k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angl2k

Reaction score
After recently rediscovering the EMG 81 I need recommendations for a neck pickup, preferably EMG but open to other active options.

Guitar is an ESP Eclipse (mahogany with rosewood fretboard) and it shipped with 2 81s. I don't like the sharp picking noise of the 81 in the neck. Even with the tone rolled off it sounds kinda metallicy? I can't even hear the difference between just the bridge pickup engaged and bridge+neck :(

I'm a huge fan of the BKP Cold sweat neck and I dig the SD alnico II pro neck too. I guess I like soft attack for fluid leads. Woman tones :) Looking for something similar sounding to those. Good cleans are nice to have but not required :) Preferably with an output that can match the 81 bridge.

I dislike the Fluence neck pickups, both modern and classic I've tried weren't really my thing.

So here's my shortlist:
- 85, bassier then the 81
- 60, people say it's trebly but with smooth high end
- 60A, alnico magnet will give it more bass, but most players say they like the 60 more

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
60 is more glassy, while the 60A will be a bitnsmoother. Skip the 85, it's way, way,way too much for the neck.

Another option would be possibly finding an EMG 66 by itself.

Zhysick

Reaction score
60A. I liked the 85 in the neck a lot, very fluid and middy but the 60A is probably the safest option from EMG.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angl2k

Reaction score
Well after listening to some clips of the 60 vs 66, the 60 had a bit darker tone than the 66. So I ordered a 60A I guess that will sound great with my setup. Will post here after I install it :)

Strobe

Reaction score
Well... I normally would not steer someone to the EMG85, but it is good for fluid woman tone's. It's kind of dark. The output is quite high, but I have usually found I can adjust the height to get a decent balance of output and tone.

If cleans are more important, the 60 is definitely brighter, but it has pretty good cleans (from a person who does not generally like EMG cleans). It's good for leads, too, just not as you describe preferring.

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
I had an Eclipse with a 81/60 combo. I really liked the 60 in the neck position. I have never tried the 60A. I have recently replaced the pickups in that guitar with a Het Set and they are absolutely killer. My favorite EMG pickups by far.

angl2k

Reaction score
Interesting I haven't considered the single coil options. Do they take medium/high gain well? And what about hum?

Alex79

Reaction score
60 is my choice EMG for the neck. I had the 85 in the neck of my Eclipse and hated it for clean sounds.

I have since changed to X-series EMGs and dig them a lot.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I like the S, SA & SAX in the neck, but find that a PA2 helps bring the output level of those up to the same level of bridge pickup of choice to facilitate even output levels when flipping back & forth between pickups when soloing. It's quite noticeable in recording.

lewis

Reaction score
Interesting I haven't considered the single coil options. Do they take medium/high gain well? And what about hum?
Because they are EMGs and the way they are designed - they are 100% hum/noise free. Which is why they are my favourite single coils.

waffles

Reaction score
A bit off topic: Has anyone tried an EMG 81 bridge and EMG 66 (or maybe even the EMG hetfield neck) for the neck? Is it possible?

lewis

Reaction score
60AX (or just 60A), 66 or even the HAX (the single coil SA in humbucker case)

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
Yeah I had that combination in my old KH602.

Also have an 81-8x and 66-8 in one of my 8 strings. Good combo!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
You can really dial in the voicing you want on any of these neck pickups by wiring an RPC after the pickup, prior to the toggle so that it affects only the neck pickup. I have some friends that do this, and just tape off the RPC to the desired setting, then have it wrapped in foam under the hood of the control cavity.