EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm considering switching the bridge pickup in my ltd sc-607b from a emg81-7 to a 707. Does anyone have any experience with this? My principal criticism of the 81-7 is that is gives too much grind and that obscures the notes a little. I also find it isn't as chunky as I'd like for slow crushing riffs. I play pretty brutal stuff - think Suffocation, Ulcerate, Defeated Sanity, Gorguts, Decapitated etc...

My full rig is:

ltd sc-607b -> ISP Decimator G string (both in front of amp and in effects loop) -> Randall V2 w/ matching randall cab

thanks! :wavey:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's use this thread to collect 707/81-7 discussion, since there's lots of posts in individual threads. :yesway:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
And why not use is as a discussion for 7-string EMG pickups in general? I mean, when there was only those two pickups would have made clear sense, but now we have the 707TW, the 60-7, and the whole new X-series to talk about and complaininig about their housing size as well :lol:

To the OP, IIRC the Carpenters were all maple (at least the old one), so the 81-7 can be bright as hell on those. I'm happy with the EMG 707 in my maple neckthrough Agile, so If you're looking for mod low-mid chunk, it may be a good option to swap it. Another option would be trying the Blackout neck model on it.

Or if you like passives, there's a site who sells EMG housings for passive pickups for 2$ and apparently they work pretty well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Racerdeth

Reaction score
The 707 is chunkier and a little edgier, I like the 81's aggression and the trebly sheen but the 707 has more of a lower midrange peak (which, IMO with an 81 in the bridge makes it a shoddy neck pickup but with another 707 is fine).

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Thanks guys! My ltd is mahogany, although with actives the wood does not really affect the character of the tone too much, I think. I do need that chunk, so I think I may go for it!

@racerdeth: when you say edgier, do you mean more grind?

edit: also, I see EMG have a 707X out as well. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And why not use is as a discussion for 7-string EMG pickups in general? I mean, when there was only those two pickups would have made clear sense, but now we have the 707TW, the 60-7, and the whole new X-series to talk about and complaininig about their housing size as well :lol:

Better?

Oh, and fuck EMG for the oversized housings. :lol:

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Thanks guys! My ltd is mahogany, although with actives the wood does not really affect the character of the tone too much, I think. I do need that chunk, so I think I may go for it!

@racerdeth: when you say edgier, do you mean more grind?

edit: also, I see EMG have a 707X out as well. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

From what ive heard, the 707X is the same thing as the regular 707 if you were to do the 18 volt mod :yesway:

Personally, id put a blackout in there :D

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You think we can, you know, stay on the EMG 7 string topic? ;)

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
I just snagged a 707 on ebay for £50- pretty good! What do people think of the 18V mod on EMG's?

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used it on the 6 string PUs in one guitar I had, and it helped the clean tones a tad, but didn't seem to make a lot of difference when I was playing with distortion. YMMV, though, and it's pretty easy to try...

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
does anyone have 1st hand experience with an emg 60-7? ive heard 60's are badass rythym pickups, but i havent had the chance to hear one yet:wallbash:, and im not gonna order it without hearing it. im looking for a compressed, sharp tone with alot of scoop.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
i swapped the 81-7 and 707 around in my steff7s.i HATE the 81-7.much prefer the 707.
the only exception to that is my viper7.the 81-7 really works well in that axe in the bridge.

deathsguitarist

Reaction score
I recently decided to swap out my passive pickups in my Ibanez RG7620 for an EMG 707. I used a hammer and chisel to route out the cavity (yes, possibly the dumbest thing I've done to a guitar yet) But, Im going to be repainting and using it for touring in the future so I'm not concerned about the looks.

I also had to route the cavity downward a little so I could fit the wiring underneath.

Ok, so now to my last issue. The input jack. Are the stock jacks on the Ibanez stereo? tip, ring, sleeve? Because the jack that came with the EMG is too big to fit. What should I do about this?

Spondus

Reaction score
Yes, the ibanez jack is stereo. Also because it's a barrel jack it's infinitely superior to the one EMG gives you (the signal pin is unlikely to bend)

deathsguitarist

Reaction score
Thanks!

I should have taken some pictures and posted a how to for this thread. Maybe when I route the neck pickup for EMG :)

Latest posts