EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
In the LTD MH417 that has a maple neckthrough. I suspect the stock 81-7 will sound SCREEEEECHY. Is the 81-7x/60-7x a recommended combination if you want a guitar that can do balls out metal as well as some nice mid/low gain tones?

I myself have never cared for the 81-7. I used those in an ESP LTD M307 I had years ago and still had a really muddy tone to them. The 81-7X/60-7X would sound more suitable, or even the 707/60-7 or both in the X-series. I myself find the 707's to be very well rounded for everything and anything you'll play, but the X-series has slightly lower output and lots more headroom as compared to the normal EMG's even with an 18V mod. So I would say the 707 over the 81-7 and X-series if you want a more passive feeling and sounding tone. Of course there are others here who love the 81-7, but I didn't care for them...

Hope this helps...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
This is taking into account the maple neckthrough? That shit sounds BRIGHT, man haha

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
yes I know that maple sounds bright. This is why I recommend the 707 or the 707X for the bridge as it's a little darker/warmer sounding in comparison to the 81-7 or 81-7X. If you run the 81-7(X) then I think it'd be too bright like your thinking...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I myself have never cared for the 81-7. I used those in an ESP LTD M307 I had years ago and still had a really muddy tone to them. The 81-7X/60-7X would sound more suitable, or even the 707/60-7 or both in the X-series. I myself find the 707's to be very well rounded for everything and anything you'll play, but the X-series has slightly lower output and lots more headroom as compared to the normal EMG's even with an 18V mod. So I would say the 707 over the 81-7 and X-series if you want a more passive feeling and sounding tone. Of course there are others here who love the 81-7, but I didn't care for them...

Hope this helps...

I would agree with this - I flipped the 81-7 and 707 in my SLAT3-7 so I could stand to use it until my covers to mount the passives show up. :lol: The 707 is much more "passive feeling" than the very spiky 81-7 - and my guitar is maple/alder, so it's about the same as the MH. :yesway:

Legion

Reaction score
I see, and this has given rise to another question in my mind: Does EMG not have different bridge and neck models for their pups? Like 707(bridge model) and 707(neck model)?

If it's the exact same pup being used for the 2 positions, it would be a wise thing to flip. Else, using a neck pup in the bridge MAY or MAY NOT yield good results...

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Unlike most other pickups and Blackouts, 98% of EMG's are NOT position specific. As my luthier told me years ago regarding this, EMG 's will naturally take on the characteristics of the position they are mounted in. Hence why you can use 2 of the same pickup in either position, or swap one for the other. The ones that ARE position specific are the 707TW's. The 707TW is the bridge model, and the 707TW-R is the neck position. If you look in the EMG catalog it will tell you which is which. Also, the 81TW and 81TW-R are position specific.

Page 8 of the catalog will tell you which is which...

Legion

Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up!
You are officially my active pickup guru. :lol:

Cheers! :yesway:

Edit: Just repped ya for that.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks man! I'm the official for many individuals here on the forum, but that's why I put "un" official for here in general. But again, thanks!!!

sell2792

Reaction score
Hypothetically if I was to return my Jh tomorrow eveing and place an order for a MH417, would it be feasible to swap to Blackouts in the near future?

I know it's maple neck thru, but it also has a mahogony body. So would swapping the 707 and 81-7 suffice in the meantime? I've swapped the 81-85 in two of my guitars recently and liked the results (one was all mahogony and set neck, the other a maple neck thru alder). I just don't wanna get a new guitar and be disappointed.

When will they make an EMTY for sevens?!

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
Unlike most other pickups and Blackouts, 98% of EMG's are NOT position specific. As my luthier told me years ago regarding this, EMG 's will naturally take on the characteristics of the position they are mounted in. Hence why you can use 2 of the same pickup in either position, or swap one for the other. The ones that ARE position specific are the 707TW's. The 707TW is the bridge model, and the 707TW-R is the neck position. If you look in the EMG catalog it will tell you which is which. Also, the 81TW and 81TW-R are position specific.

Page 8 of the catalog will tell you which is which...

Altough you still can use the "R" version as neck PU, with that, the Single mode sounds bit fuller and rounder than the non-r version, that's because the R version use the upper coil for the coil tap.

Y use an 89r in bridge and 89X-R in neck.

:wavey:

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Hypothetically if I was to return my Jh tomorrow eveing and place an order for a MH417, would it be feasible to swap to Blackouts in the near future?

I know it's maple neck thru, but it also has a mahogony body. So would swapping the 707 and 81-7 suffice in the meantime? I've swapped the 81-85 in two of my guitars recently and liked the results (one was all mahogony and set neck, the other a maple neck thru alder). I just don't wanna get a new guitar and be disappointed.

When will they make an EMTY for sevens?!

Yes, it would be feasible to swap to Blackouts with the MH417, as the wiring is the same and the pickup routes are the same, just make sure you get the Phase II's. As for the wiring being the same, just pull the EMG's out, disconnect them from the back of the pickup and reconnect the Blackouts the same way.

I think the tone you will get by swapping the Blackouts in the MH417 will be similar to that of the guitar you already swapped that's a maple neck-thru w/ alder body sides. Because the maple is the main wood running the entire length of the guitar, it's naturally gonna have more tonal characteristics of the maple than the alder so the tone will be a little bit brighter. Same will go for the MH417.

And Duncan I'm sure could make the EMTY Blackouts in a seven, as long as your willing to pay close to that for a set of BKP's...

Altough you still can use the "R" version as neck PU, with that, the Single mode sounds bit fuller and rounder than the non-r version, that's because the R version use the upper coil for the coil tap.

Y use an 89r in bridge and 89X-R in neck.

:wavey:

This is true, and hence why those pickups are pretty much the only EMG's that are position specific.

However, I am a little unsure about your post of "Y use an 89R in the bridge and 89X-R in the neck"... is that what your using now, or are you asking about using those in something? I don't see why you can't use those 2 together, but I would honestly feel that you'd want something a little brighter sounding as a bridge pickup though. However, I do see how your saying the use of them for the single coil arrangement would work though...

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
However, I am a little unsure about your post of "Y use an 89R in the bridge and 89X-R in the neck"... is that what your using now, or are you asking about using those in something? I don't see why you can't use those 2 together, but I would honestly feel that you'd want something a little brighter sounding as a bridge pickup though. However, I do see how your saying the use of them for the single coil arrangement would work though...

My principal language isn't English so i just commit a mistake with the "Y" (I is "yo" in spanish).

In this moment i'm using that configuration of pickups and i haven't changed in 2 years.

BTW anyone one have seen this?

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
My principal language isn't English so i just commit a mistake with the "Y" (I is "yo" in spanish).

In this moment i'm using that configuration of pickups and i haven't changed in 2 years.

BTW anyone one have seen this?

Ah okay. How's the tone on those work out for ya? That's an interesting combo your using, is why I ask.

And the JH series has got to be a mod-ed set of the 81/60 combo... Kinda like the Duncan Dave Mustaine Live Wire set is a tweaked and active version of the JB & '59 set. Would be interesting to see how those sound as well.

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up an RG7321 the other day in a straight trade for my Epi LP. It has EMG-81/7 (bridge), and EMG-60/7(neck) in her, but I want the 707's in her. Upon further investigation, the p'ups are the old solder versions, NOT the solder-less versions. Does anyone know though if they still used the quick connect on the actual p'ups themselves? The guitar is an 05 built, so the p'ups are no older then that.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I watched the JH-series video on EMG's websight, and to me they just sounded like they're modeled after the X-series because James talks about bridging the gap between active and passive. Plus cool covers and adjustable poles.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up an RG7321 the other day in a straight trade for my Epi LP. It has EMG-81/7 (bridge), and EMG-60/7(neck) in her, but I want the 707's in her. Upon further investigation, the p'ups are the old solder versions, NOT the solder-less versions. Does anyone know though if they still used the quick connect on the actual p'ups themselves? The guitar is an 05 built, so the p'ups are no older then that.

The answer is YES - Both pickups should have the quick connect on the backs of the pickups themselves. EMG started doing this back in 2000 for all of thier pickups. Just remember to re-connect the pickups the right way when you put the 707's in there, red wire to the left side.

I watched the JH-series video on EMG's websight, and to me they just sounded like they're modeled after the X-series because James talks about bridging the gap between active and passive. Plus cool covers and adjustable poles.

I agree, I would have thought it sounds a lot like the X-series also. And unfortunately, those aren't adjustable pole pieces on those... those are flat pole pieces and no flat-head slots or allen key holes to adjust them...

Purelojik

Reaction score
Ok so i love the EMG 60x and decided to make my own reversible harness for an 18v mod to see how it'd sound.

The 60x has a great punch for riffs and has some of the best cleans EMG can offer. after trying the 81 and 85 both and not feeling being totally satisfied this was refreshing. But as all of us who are on these forums, we're constantly looking to tweak our sound.

So i fixed up the harnesses i got from radioshack. and plugged it in.

immediately i noticed two things. (keep in mind this is in the bridge position)

1. There was a noticeable improvement in clarity in distorted chords
2. while riffing with distortion the bass frequencies were more robust which was great for lower tunings.

As far as cleans go the 60x already does extremely well but with the 18v mod the highs and lows are more pronounced.

overall the 18v mod improves what i perceive as the Quality of the sound.

I used it through a POD xt using a variety of metal and clean as well as overdriven sounds. and the above mentioned changes can be appreciated on all of them

i also use a Peavey 6505+ combo. and it sounds amazing.

I recommend the 18v mod to anyone who uses EMG. Hell emg also recommends it (says so in the instructions). I have two EMG 707twx's which i'll be doing the same to in my next build but that will be for another time. I hope this helps.

Alex Myla

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so i love the EMG 60x and decided to make my own reversible harness for an 18v mod to see how it'd sound.

The 60x has a great punch for riffs and has some of the best cleans EMG can offer. after trying the 81 and 85 both and not feeling being totally satisfied this was refreshing. But as all of us who are on these forums, we're constantly looking to tweak our sound.

So i fixed up the harnesses i got from radioshack. and plugged it in.

immediately i noticed two things. (keep in mind this is in the bridge position)

1. There was a noticeable improvement in clarity in distorted chords
2. while riffing with distortion the bass frequencies were more robust which was great for lower tunings.

As far as cleans go the 60x already does extremely well but with the 18v mod the highs and lows are more pronounced.

overall the 18v mod improves what i perceive as the Quality of the sound.

I used it through a POD xt using a variety of metal and clean as well as overdriven sounds. and the above mentioned changes can be appreciated on all of them

i also use a Peavey 6505+ combo. and it sounds amazing.

I recommend the 18v mod to anyone who uses EMG. Hell emg also recommends it (says so in the instructions). I have two EMG 707twx's which i'll be doing the same to in my next build but that will be for another time. I hope this helps.

Alex Myla

Alex, thanks for the very detailed and informative post! I know that there's quite a few guys here that have done and still use the 18V mod for their EMG systems, but I know that there's a lot of guys who haven't either, myself being one of them.

I also recall someone postin in this thread the idea or thought of using 60's in both bridge and neck positions (7-string version though...) I'm sure that by you doing this review and post has answered a lot of those questions that myself and others have been curious about for using the 60 in the bridge position. Thanks!!!

I myself would be curious to hear you review of the 707TW-X's both at the 9 & 18V mod when you get them. I'm considering a set of those for one of my guitars and have the 707TW's in one of them already, as well as the 808X in the bridge of my 8-string. So am really curious to hear about the 707TW -X's when you get 'em. Keep us informed on that!!!

Thanks again, and very well written and described!!!
:hbang::yesway::agreed::wavey::shred:

King Crimson

Mental Metal Head
Reaction score
What's your preference on active pickups between these two and why?

USA Made Seymour Duncan Blackout Pickup (AH1-b)
and
USA Made EMG 707 Pickup

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
What's your preference on active pickups between these two and why?

USA Made Seymour Duncan Blackout Pickup (AH1-b)
and
USA Made EMG 707 Pickup

for me, the differences and my preference is as follows...

I have been using the EMG stuff for years, and have become quite fond of the tone I get from them. They've always seemed to pack that extra punch I have always been looking for in my tone that I couldn't get out of any other pickup. When i started using the 707's, I had fallen in love with the overall dynamics, clarity and diversity of them. I have never had an issue of noise with the EMG pickups and have yet to find something that comes anywhere close to them.

As for the Blackouts when I used and tried them, I was very unsatisfied with them. Aside from being too shrill and bite-y on the high-end, I wound up having a bad noise issue with them as well. No matter what I plugged them into amp/effects wise, they were still noisy - which is not like what Duncan claims them to be like. I know others that have them and use them and they have no issues with them and they like them better than the EMG's. But I feel that the EMG's are more versatile, well, rounded and have a sound unlike any other pickup out there. And now with the addition of the X-Series, the EMG stuff has gotten a lot better with slightly less output than a normal EMG, but has a lot more headroom, clarity and diversity.

I prefer the EMG's over almost everything else out there, and choose the EMG's over the Blackouts anyday.

')