EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ML7

Reaction score
Hey yall,
First for everything but I have a problem so far.
I bought a recent solderless kit with the B245 pickup buss. I have one very old emg 85 and was wondering how can I use it with a 2-pickup switch set-up with my modern 81. I can't solder onto the bus like the older one used to if I'm correct. What are my options? Thanks:shred:

allthegoatsaregone

Most Userest Title
Reaction score
So stoked I found this thread, and hoping you guys can help me. I put an 81 set in one or my guitars, and I'm not getting as much output as I did before. I already changed the battery, and the wiring job is correct, but I'm thinking it might be that I extended the red battery wire by splicing it and adding a length to the middle so I could store it in the trem claw rout around back of the guitar. I ran it through the same path as the previous ground wire, but needed a couple inches of extra length to make it work. So my question is this - did extending the battery wire cause some sort of loss in output? If so, is it because of the wire gauge (22g)? Help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

jmanncorrea

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought the het set and i put them into
My ltd ec401 that already had emgs in it. I
Plugged them in I didn't swap out the
Harness and the bridge pick up works
Great but the neck pick up hardly gets any
Sound out.. Do I have to swap out the harness
Or can I just plug them in and they should work?

MrYakob

Reaction score
Have you checked to make sure the quick connector is seated all the way on the pickup?

I know when I swapped my 81/60 for the het set in my ec-100 the connector was oriented the opposite way on the het set, so make sure you've got the connector on the right way

Blkls

Reaction score
I just got a 66 and an 89r from a member on here both came with what looks like everything they would come with if the where fresh out of the box. Now I've been looking for a wiring diagram to drop them in with out a three way switch like my passive set up has.
I was thinking of wiring them like I believe some gibsons are or even like a fender bass, two volume, one tone. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
I'm also trying to decide if I should put them in my Dean blackbolt or my dean endgame vmnt.....

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I just got a 66 and an 89r from a member on here both came with what looks like everything they would come with if the where fresh out of the box. Now I've been looking for a wiring diagram to drop them in with out a three way switch like my passive set up has.
I was thinking of wiring them like I believe some gibsons are or even like a fender bass, two volume, one tone. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
I'm also trying to decide if I should put them in my Dean blackbolt or my dean endgame vmnt.....

Might be some wiring diagrams listed here.
Wiring Book

JeremyRodriguez5544998

Reaction score
Great thread for me to research up on. Thanks for posting. The only thing I know is that I love EMG pick ups haha. Looks like it's time to start learning.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
hey all,

I have an axe with an 81/85 combo and a 3-way blade switch.

I'm thinking of swapping out the pups with an 81TW/89XR and was wondering if I can use a 5-way blade switch instead of push/pull pots? i hate push/pull pots.

Pinthar

Reaction score
Hello friends. Age old question. I've been all over the internet and cannot for the life of me find any of the old schematics for EMG Zakk set (81/85) with afterburner. I have installed the set with one volume, one tone, and one after burner with a three way switch and a barrel jack. I have most of the wiring complete, but am confused for a few wires still unattached. Can anyone post a diagram using colored wired codes or perhaps even a detailed picture of what the set-up should look like. Even a hand drawn pic would be great.

Thanks so much

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Hello friends. Age old question. I've been all over the internet and cannot for the life of me find any of the old schematics for EMG Zakk set (81/85) with afterburner. I have installed the set with one volume, one tone, and one after burner with a three way switch and a barrel jack. I have most of the wiring complete, but am confused for a few wires still unattached. Can anyone post a diagram using colored wired codes or perhaps even a detailed picture of what the set-up should look like. Even a hand drawn pic would be great.

Thanks so much

Email EMG. Seriously, they're the most accessible folks out there, they'll get back within a few days and should steer you well. I've had very good interactions with them.

caspian

wanderer
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with the afterburner boost thingy? Considering getting one for my explorer- looks a lot of fun. Not entirely sure how I'd go installing it myself but it can't be that hard to figure out.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with the afterburner boost thingy? Considering getting one for my explorer- looks a lot of fun. Not entirely sure how I'd go installing it myself but it can't be that hard to figure out.

I used to use one in my Jackson Dinky, I still have it stashed away with all of my pickup stuff. What would you like to know about it? It's a Quick Connect component and comes with its own schematic so it can be installed in a matter of seconds, assuming your guitar is already wired up with modern EMG Quick Connect.

caspian

wanderer
Reaction score
It's not. I'm thinking of doing up an old epiphone explorer I have w/an afterburner and some super metal pickups, try to make it a purpose built metal guitar. Does it effect the tone, is it easy to install (I'm guessing it might be a pain considering the guitar just has the stock passives in it), is 20db just way too much gain, etc etc.

Pav

???
Reaction score
It's plenty easy to install, nothing crazy. It has five pins to connect: two input, two output and one for power. It may be trickier for you without Quick Connect wiring inside your guitar already but EMG customer support is great. If you run into any problems, email them and they'll walk you right through it.

I never noticed it affect my tone at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it had the typical drawbacks of using any tone pot, but when you turn it on it's just a massive clean boost. However, 20dB really is more gain than is practical for an on-board boost like that. Lower output passive pickups would be the best situation to use it because with EMG's hot active pickups, the AB very quickly turns your tone into a hot screaming mess. If I had to do it again I would probably try the PA2 switch that comes with the KFK set since flipping one switch is way more practical than the super-sensitive push-pull pot of the afterburner. Hope this helps.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I have one in a Jackson CS soloist, didn't install it myself, bought it second hand with it already installed.
I'd say it's mostly overkill, I could see it being useful if you don't have a high gain amp but otherwise it's just goes into the "too much gain" territory. Possibly if you want to play old school DM but otherwise not very useful.