EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
hey guys.

I just recently started playing my guitars with EMGs again since we moved house. I noticed that my EMGs (Stock DKMG with 81/86. DXMG with JH. Stock COW with 707.) all pick up a LOT of interference compared to my guitars with Duncan Invaders. The Invaders are just much more silent. I know it's interference since moving around causes the hum to change. The Duncans don't have this problem.

Is this normal? I thought EMGs are quieter and less susceptible to interference. Any solutions that I can do with the guitar/pickups?

sleepy502

Reaction score
Recently installed the EMG 57/66 set with the whole solderless deal, including the 3way switch.

Biggest issue is the mad hum/buzz I get. I tried lots of stuff, I did some random reading about this set and apparently sometimes the volume/tone pots might not be grounded properly?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I don't think you have to ground anything. i also got the 3 way solderless switch-buss which is cool, because i didn't need to re-solder the pickup switch wire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Just installed my 89 & S (Old school hardwire solder versions), I like it for the most part, love the S in the neck.
In looking at the wire diagrams, and after playing it, with the switch down, it's definitely hum bucking, with it up, it's definitely single coil voiced, but when the switch is right dadgumm in the middle, it's pure sweetness, brighter, more output.

I presume because it's using both pre-amps (the humbucker preamp and the single coil preamp) simultaneously, so I'm thinking, why not just wire it up that way. Forget the split, wire it up like the Humbucker only schematic suggests, only instead of sending only the green to hot as it suggests, send the white also.

Anyone else experimented with this?

Thoughts?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I found a helpful diagram.
EMG81TW89Explained.png

I think I figured it out from the above diagram.

So, Orange is the primary coil. It feeds both voices.

The switch, as we know, switches between those voices.

Humbucker = Orange --> Blue--> Green
Single Coil = Orange -->Yellow--> White

So, to activate both preamp with all coils active, I just do a "Y" off of the Orange, connected to both Blue and Yellow, Blue goes off to Green, Yellow goes off to White, both Green and White are "Y-d" at either the hot, or the bridge pin of the toggle.

Simple Version, take this wire scheme, http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/89 as humbucker only 1v 1t.pdf
twist blue & Yellow together, connect them to the Orange.
Twist the green & white together, connect them to the Hot or Toggle.

I'll test this with some test leads first.

I think this will be idea if it can be accomplished because the S is louder than the 89 in its humbucker mode using factory wiring. When I had the switch right in the middle selecting both modes simultaneously, it was balanced across both pickups, both individually and jointly.nd jointly.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I found a helpful diagram.
EMG81TW89Explained.png

I think I figured it out from the above diagram.

So, Orange is the primary coil. It feeds both voices.

The switch, as we know, switches between those voices.

Humbucker = Orange --> Blue--> Green
Single Coil = Orange -->Yellow--> White

So, to activate both preamp with all coils active, I just do a "Y" off of the Orange, connected to both Blue and Yellow, Blue goes off to Green, Yellow goes off to White, both Green and White are "Y-d" at either the hot, or the bridge pin of the toggle.

Simple Version, take this wire scheme, http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/89 as humbucker only 1v 1t.pdf
twist blue & Yellow together, connect them to the Orange.
Twist the green & white together, connect them to the Hot or Toggle.

I'll test this with some test leads first.

I think this will be idea if it can be accomplished because the S is louder than the 89 in its humbucker mode using factory wiring. When I had the switch right in the middle selecting both modes simultaneously, it was balanced across both pickups, both individually and jointly.nd jointly.

Tried my theory and is debunked.

A call to EMG yielded the recommendation that my push/pull pot is likely faulty.

I wired up the 25k NON push/pull pot, went through my scenarios using test leads.

No perceived difference or benefit in trying to activate both preamps simultaneously.

Wiring up each respective voicing individually yielded very distinctive humbucker and single coil voicing, respectively.

With that being said, I am using the Humbucker Only wire scheme successfully.

markdminer

Guitarist for NIVIANE, guitar instruction
Reaction score

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I have a BRAND NEW UNUSED SET of EMG 57/66 for 7 string in black. $119 each/street. Far less compressed sounding. They seem to be much more open and responsive than anything else they have ever made. Based on Alnico rather than Ceramic. See links for specs. First $175 takes em.
Email me at markguitar68@gmail.com if interested!
http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/7-and-8-and-9-string/seven-string/57-7.html#info
http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/7-and-8-and-9-string/seven-string/66-7.html

You may be served best by deleting this post from this section, and re-posting it in the following section: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
Hello all,

i have my ibanez arz400 wired up with the solder less system, i have the stock neck pickup that came it(some hz, im not sure which now) and the alexi lahio sig passive with the abq eq?boost in the bridge, now because that is active circuitry and has a battery in theory i could just swap the current pickups to any of their active pickups with no issue correct?

bandit614

Reaction score
Hi all -- I recently purchased a used Schecter with Duncan Design passive humbuckers, and didn't like them. I installed a set of EMG 81/85s with the solderless install kit, and everything went fine other than having to solder my 3 way switch to the "hub" they provide.. took me a bit, but it sounds great!

I followed this wiring diagram exactly: https://www.emgpickups.com/skin/frontend/emg-interface/emg/pdfs/zw-set.pdf
Pg. 2, Diagram 3

However, I will never be using the "tone knob", and I am tempted to remove it and replace it with a simple on off switch -- I will be using this as a actual on/off switch and not for stuttering effects (a la Buckethead).

What is the best way to do this? I see many different switches with different acronyms, and I am confused. Can someone provide me with a link to the right part I will need, and a simple wiring diagram in relation to what I already have installed? I've googled and found guides and discussions, but not for this exact scenario and I don't want to mess anything up. I'd really really appreciate it!

Thanks!

lewis

Reaction score
anyone got any experience with the Emg H and HX series? (active single coil and humbucker housing) for the bridge position for metal?.

Ive read the X is supposed to be the 18volt mod sound? is that true etc

buriedoutback

Reaction score
I can't find any reviews on the EMG 85-8 pickup... Do these just suck or am I missing something? I love the regular EMG 85 so I wonder if the 8 string version is any good... There's a red one on ebay that is calling to me, but I'm not gonna spend the money without reading some decent reviews first. Anyone try it??

gitarre-mann

Reaction score
Hello there...Don't know if it is ok to post here, since my question is about a 6 string pickup, but, if it's not just signal me...

Either way, my problem is i bought a guitar, and it came with a fernandes sustainer and an emg 81 on the bridge...BUUUT, the high e string is sounding much lower in volume, specially with any tone that is less than extreme high gain...And, on the fernandes sustainer, it sounds even weaker...On extreme high-gain it sounds ok, specially on the 81 but, still weaker...

Do you guys know what may be the cause of the problem? I also changed the guitar battery one time without disconnecting the guitar from the amp, and suspected this could be the cause (it was on the same day i bought, and i don't remember if it was ok before) but, i asked a luthier and he said he used to do that with his, and it never caused any problems...

I already contacted the guarantee service, but, i wanted to ask people first if they ever had this problem, since i don't really know if the luthier they will indicate really knows about this kind of circuit...

Guitar is fairly well tuned, and it sounds weak specially with the open string, so, i'm guessing it has something to do with the electronics...

Thanks in advance

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
What's the string alignment look like in relation to the pickup?
Does it seem centered well enough?
If memory serves, the 81 is a bar magnet, but if the pickup is not centered, the far end of that bar can be to the inside favor of the strings and not getting enough sensing area of the high E string.
Got a pic?

gitarre-mann

Reaction score
I don't got one right now but, i checked and, it's exacty under the third trace of the M letter of EMG, just like other guitar pics with emg's i checked online...

I contacted emg ever since this post, and they told me they think it could be something in the Fernandes system, like some capacitor that reproduces higher frequencies has been "burnt", but, i don't know, if under high gain it sounds almost perfect...

Either way, I'm searching for a luthier to take care of this but, so far, i didn't have the luck to find anyone...Hope i find it soon, thanks!

lewis

Reaction score
contemplating getting the 81TW or 85tw in at least 1 guitar.

Can anyone tell me if it comes with the push/pull pot?

I want my old yamaha 22 fret strat to be my "clean" guitar for recording so need that nice single coil twang but it would be cool if it wasnt limited to just single coil tones.

lewis

Reaction score
got a fanned fret baritone guitar on the way.

Thinking of trying something cool with it.

i.e something like 81 bridge + 81tw neck then use the push/pull knob that comes with the TW as the master volume obviously, then get an RPC knob for the tone.

Neck pickup will then be able to give me coil tapped solo/clean tones and I can tighten the hell out of the bridge 81 using the RPC knob.
I might rename that the "djent knob" because thats basically what its going to be haha.
Tuning is Drop G# open (G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#) with the odd song having a low F instead.