EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Looks like James has the 18v mod installed in his latest KL explorer. He takes the back cover off and shows the control cavity. What are the noticeable differences using the 18v mod?? I'm considering if I should do it on my Het Set. I would try with my 81/60 but the control cavity is too small in that guitar to fit another battery

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Looks like James has the 18v mod installed in his latest KL explorer. He takes the back cover off and shows the control cavity. What are the noticeable differences using the 18v mod?? I'm considering if I should do it on my Het Set. I would try with my 81/60 but the control cavity is too small in that guitar to fit another battery

it gives you a bit more headroom, though it depends on the pickup. the non-x series benefit more from it ime.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Alright I can't find crap about the VMC circuit that's in the new Masvidalien. What does it to exactly? Is it just a TS type boost or can it actually alter the EQ/voicing of a bridge pickup to make it sound like a neck pickup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to alter the Tone Sweep range from the EMG tone pot? Installed one and it barely changed the sound

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the 57-7 (bridge) 66-7 (neck) set vs 81-7 (bridge) 707 (neck)? I'm not loving the 81-7, and it seems kind of muddy on the low B. Already replaced the battery, so that's not the issue. I'm stumped because I've found the 6 string 81 to be great for low tunings.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the 57-7 (bridge) 66-7 (neck) set vs 81-7 (bridge) 707 (neck)? I'm not loving the 81-7, and it seems kind of muddy on the low B. Already replaced the battery, so that's not the issue. I'm stumped because I've found the 6 string 81 to be great for low tunings.
The 57/66 is less compressed than the 707 or 81 sets iirc. I found the 57 to be flubbier on the low end than the 808x set I had before it, but that was really my only issue with the 57. The 57 was definitely a bit clearer from what I remember.
The X series are generally an improvement over the terrible 707/808 pickups- the x series essentially sound like they have a permanent 18v mod done to them and have more headroom/clarity.
I would guess that the 81x would give you more clarity than the 81 in the same way, unless you're already doing the 18v mod. I'm sure people that have used them more extensively can chime in, I've only messed around with some 81 loaded 7 strings at my buddy's house.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The 57/66 is less compressed than the 707 or 81 sets iirc. I found the 57 to be flubbier on the low end than the 808x set I had before it, but that was really my only issue with the 57. The 57 was definitely a bit clearer from what I remember.
The X series are generally an improvement over the terrible 707/808 pickups- the x series essentially sound like they have a permanent 18v mod done to them and have more headroom/clarity.
I would guess that the 81x would give you more clarity than the 81 in the same way, unless you're already doing the 18v mod. I'm sure people that have used them more extensively can chime in, I've only messed around with some 81 loaded 7 strings at my buddy's house.
Essentially, if I'm looking for more clarity/less mud on the low end then I shouldn't look to the 57-7, is how I take this. I either want to 18v my 81-7 or look at an 81-7x then?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I'm a 57/66 user in both 6-er & 7 formats. These are PAF-ish voiced pickups with active output. The best of the EMG lineup in my opinion, clear, articulate, full, very well balanced. If you want to boost this, I'd recommend the PA2 over the Afterburner. PA2 is more of an onboard clean boost, Afterburner gets too thick/muddy in my opinion.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Essentially, if I'm looking for more clarity/less mud on the low end then I shouldn't look to the 57-7, is how I take this. I either want to 18v my 81-7 or look at an 81-7x then?
yeah easiest path would probably be 18v mod or the 81-7x. The 57 has good clarity on the low end, but it was a bit less tight/responsive on the low end compared to the 808x I had. You can kind of mitigate the slightly looser feeling with a good tight overdrive or a 10 band eq/compressor set up.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I'm a 57/66 user in both 6-er & 7 formats. These are PAF-ish voiced pickups with active output. The best of the EMG lineup in my opinion, clear, articulate, full, very well balanced. If you want to boost this, I'd recommend the PA2 over the Afterburner. PA2 is more of an onboard clean boost, Afterburner gets too thick/muddy in my opinion.

yeah easiest path would probably be 18v mod or the 81-7x. The 57 has good clarity on the low end, but it was a bit less tight/responsive on the low end compared to the 808x I had. You can kind of mitigate the slightly looser feeling with a good tight overdrive or a 10 band eq/compressor set up.

Interesting. It just seems odd to me that the 81-7 seems muddy. It could just be that my amp settings are crap for 7-string as a recent convert.

18v mod is probably the easiest thing to do. I'm intrigued by the 57/66 set, but maybe it'd be better suited to 6 strings/standard tuning?

buriedoutback

Reaction score
I can't find any reviews on the EMG 85-8 pickup... Do these just suck or am I missing something? I love the regular EMG 85 so I wonder if the 8 string version is any good... There's a red one on ebay that is calling to me, but I'm not gonna spend the money without reading some decent reviews first. Anyone try it??

I'm bored as fuck at work and eyeballing the red 85-8s again... anyone have any thoughts on these?

edit: We play metal like Kataklysm, OLD Whitechapel, Amon Amarth, etc

Matt08642

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a PRS Torero that came with EMG 81/85s, but the original owner swapped them for SD AHB1 blackouts. Yesterday I got some EMGs (81 and 85 again) and they seem weirdly noisy.

Here's 2 clips showing the noise difference just sitting on my 5150 patch with nothing being played. When the noise stops, it's me engaging my noise gate. The noise is not a grounding issue, since I can touch anything metal on the guitar and the noise does not change.

Is it normal for EMGs to be this noisy? I've re-done the wiring, changed batteries, and swapped the blackouts back in and they're for sure quieter, the only difference is which pickup is in the guitar.

My stock RG7620 pickups are also way quieter.

is it at all possible to actually fuck up an EMG and break it?

buriedoutback

Reaction score
Is it normal for EMGs to be this noisy?
In my experience, emgs are dead quiet. I run an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck of my ltd explorer . Sorry I can't be of much help with respect to the noise/wiring. You've done everything I would have done.
Out of curiosity and separate from the noise issue, are you running the 85 in the bridge or the 81? I know tons of people run the 81 in the bridge, but I like the 85 a lot more. Seems much thicker/beefier to me.

Matt08642

Reaction score
In my experience, emgs are dead quiet. I run an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck of my ltd explorer . Sorry I can't be of much help with respect to the noise/wiring. You've done everything I would have done.
Out of curiosity and separate from the noise issue, are you running the 85 in the bridge or the 81? I know tons of people run the 81 in the bridge, but I like the 85 a lot more. Seems much thicker/beefier to me.

I switched them up and the 81 is noisy in the neck, and the 85 is dead silent in the bridge. Guess the dude sold me a bum 81.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Here's a question I've been wondering...

What would be the closest EMG equivalent to an SD '59 for neck position? 60A, perhaps?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a question I've been wondering...

What would be the closest EMG equivalent to an SD '59 for neck position? 60A, perhaps?

The Fat 55 for sure, but if you want a more traditional EMG the 60AX.

The 59 is a simple PAF, which means you want medium output and alnico magnets. Stick to that and you ll get close enough with just about anything.

slayer6699

shredaholic
Reaction score
Guitar is Ibanez art 120 wh with emg 81x.The stock active neck pickup is connected but i don't use it so i have the 3 way switch as a killswitch.
Now i want to remove the 3 way switch and the 2 tone knobs so i can leave only one volume knob and the emg.
How to do that?

Grooven

Reaction score
So I've always wanted a pair of EMG pups since seeing them in my fav guitarist sig model Stef Carpenter of Deftones years ago.I think I'm pulling the trigger on the H4 passives they are goin in my Ltd mh100qmnt. But my question is Im new to this and not sure but on the site it says shaft Les Paul or strat. I'm assuming since my Ltd body build is similar to the strat I should go for that?