EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask here, I'm fixing to get a 3 pup set for a rear routed control cavity. 1 Vol, 1 Tone.
Not clear why I'd want one of these vs. the other outside of the consideration of the plug-in angle differences. I'd default to the Tele version but anyone know any other considerations?

upload_2020-7-12_8-42-5.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask here, I'm fixing to get a 3 pup set for a rear routed control cavity. 1 Vol, 1 Tone.
Not clear why I'd want one of these vs. the other outside of the consideration of the plug-in angle differences. I'd default to the Tele version but anyone know any other considerations?

View attachment 82610

Different blade size and the Tele can be used on passive guitars as well.

Frey

Reaction score
Hello wonderful people. It's been awhile! I've been basking in the joys of parenting but am finally getting back into playing more.

I'm currently installing some EMGs into an LTD EC1008 and have come to a road block. It had aftermarket Duncans in it before but they were barely rigged into the pickup rings (not the right size) and unable to make adjustments. I called SD this week and they are unable to sell me the pickup rings I would have needed.

To get to my point: I'm wondering how I'm supposed to utilize the 3 way pickup selector wires.

Firstly there is only a bridge, neck, and what I assume is the output cable despite all of EMGs diagrams and videos showing a fourth ground wire from the switch. There is an additional black wire that looks like it is probably soldered somewhere in the Evertune cavity that I assume is a ground. Picture attached. It was also my understanding that actives (besides Fishman) don't need any kind of grounding.

Second, the switch cables all contain 'two' cables inside, exposed wire and one shielded with white. Do I need to strip the white, splice them together and put both in the bus? Picture will be attached.

As of now I seem to have both of the pickups themselves wired properly but both are on at all times so clearly I've botched the switch wiring. I've only ever done basic swaps. Never had to mess with the pots or selectors in the past/gone from passive to active.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated :bowdown:

Attachments

• LTD_Switch_wire.png
    LTD_Switch_wire.png
    417 KB · Views: 5
  • LTD_Ground_Wire.png
    LTD_Ground_Wire.png
    336 KB · Views: 3
  • LTD_Wiring_Fixed2.png
    LTD_Wiring_Fixed2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Quick question, I have a routed top. EMG's quick plugs won't fit through the wire holes. What has anyone done here to resolve? Was thinking cut, with butt splices as a possibility. Will crowd up the control cavity, which was never meant for EMGs. Could remove and replace switch end plugs but I'd have to find those I guess first.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Quick question, I have a routed top. EMG's quick plugs won't fit through the wire holes. What has anyone done here to resolve? Was thinking cut, with butt splices as a possibility. Will crowd up the control cavity, which was never meant for EMGs. Could remove and replace switch end plugs but I'd have to find those I guess first.

Not sure how well it would work, but

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FSGGJLY/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

Use the male/male wires in this set and thread them through the guitar individually.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
You can gently press in the holes on the top where you'll see a small tab. Then pull them out. Don't yank. After you feed through, pull the tabs up a smidge, and then put back into the hole where you found them. (ProTip: This is where a cell phone comes in handy.)

https://imgur.com/a/vbFqb0B

EDIT: @Seabeast2000 -- A thumb tack (these kind) works well if you're not twitchy.

Last edited:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
You can gently press in the holes on the top where you'll see a small tab. Then pull them out. Don't yank. After you feed through, pull the tabs up a smidge, and then put back into the hole where you found them. (ProTip: This is where a cell phone comes in handy.)

Ahh, well that's good news. I will try this first.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
After you pull the tabs up and push them back into their respective slot, make sure you test by giving them a gentle pull.

Finally onto this project. Got one disengaged and through the hole to the pickup route. What do you mean by "pull up" the tabs? You mean the metal locking inserts I pushed down on to release the wires? Not sure how to pull them up.

I get it, these are bendy tabs on the plug itself. Was thinking the connector had detente built into it.

Last edited:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Going to order some longer pickup cables, middle and neck are SHORT.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
There is a metal piece you push down to remove the connector. You need to pull it up a bit so it'll catch when you push the connector back on. Make sure it's connected by giving it a gentle tug once you put it back on. Also, make sure you put the wires back on in the correct order.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score

lewis

Reaction score
You know, this is what I need more or less. I have singles coming from EMG and suprisingly USPS either has them or doesn't , still in SF, last I checked. Its been 8 days from the neighboring state.

I'll get these from Amazon assuming there are various lengths to choose.
its what Im going to start using too for EMG extensions.
Way way cheaper and longer. :)

happy to help

')