EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the OFFICIAL news from Jim @ EMG. There is now an ACTUAL 7-string SINGLE COIL from EMG!!!

Here is what Jim had to say about it: "SA-7 -- It's available for order. Same specs as our standard SA singlecoil, now in a seven string housing!" - James Kearney, EMG Sales
PRICING:
Reatil: $129.99
MAP (street price): $89.99!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I am eccentric about this, and now can have my long-awaited SRC 2000 7-string Replica!!! And also, no more having to route a humbucker spot for a 707TW for that single coil tone!

I'll be ordering one in the next few weeks and will let everyone know updates as they happen!!!

:bowdown::hbang::shred::agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the OFFICIAL news from Jim @ EMG. There is now an ACTUAL 7-string SINGLE COIL from EMG!!!

Here is what Jim had to say about it: "SA-7 -- It's available for order. Same specs as our standard SA singlecoil, now in a seven string housing!" - James Kearney, EMG Sales
PRICING:
Reatil: $129.99
MAP (street price): $89.99!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I am eccentric about this, and now can have my long-awaited SRC 2000 7-string Replica!!! And also, no more having to route a humbucker spot for a 707TW for that single coil tone!

I'll be ordering one in the next few weeks and will let everyone know updates as they happen!!!

:bowdown::hbang::shred::agreed:

Will they be stupidly oversized as their 7 string humbuckers as well?

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Will they be stupidly oversized as their 7 string humbuckers as well?

No! If you have seen the Peavey Devin Townsend Signature model 7-string, then you'll know exactly what it's going to be like. This is an actual 7-string single coil in a normal single coil housing - just a tad bigger width-wise for the 7-string. Will be placing my order this week for it as soon as I get my paycheck!!!

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
hears a question guys, if you have a guitar thats routed out for a emg 707, will a regular pickup say a dimarzio or even a seymore fit the same screw spaceings>?? im just curious cause im thinking of gettin a guitar that has emgs in it but i dont want to keep the emgs.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
hears a question guys, if you have a guitar thats routed out for a emg 707, will a regular pickup say a dimarzio or even a seymore fit the same screw spaceings>?? im just curious cause im thinking of gettin a guitar that has emgs in it but i dont want to keep the emgs.

Yes it is possible to do, but you'll more than likely need to drill the spot where the screws go into the body deeper in order to accomodate the ears on the pickups (mounting tabs) and also to allow for the height adjustment screws to not dig into the wood.

You may also need a set of pickup rings to adapt the normal pickups to the EMG routing... For this, I recommend visiting this site:

Frets On The Net

He's got the rings and all kinds of other cool stuff to do the swap your looking to do. In fact, I believe the page your gonna wanna see is here:

Pickup Rings

I'd research a little more on doing this, but I'm pretty sure you'll need to do the above mentioned in order to do it. And Dave at Frets On The Net is really reasonable with his prices too, so it'd be well worth getting what you'll need from him parts-wise.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

heilarkyguitar

Brown note
Reaction score
anyone used the 81-7 i n neck i got the 707 there just seems like to much bass for lead. its a ltd h307 mahgony body

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
anyone used the 81-7 i n neck i got the 707 there just seems like to much bass for lead. its a ltd h307 mahgony body

You might wanna consider the 81-7 just because... Being a mahogany body AND a neck-thru, it's easy to see why your finding the 707 to be too warm and bassy for your liking. I think the 81-7 should be the answer as it's a little brighter tone-wise.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
Yes it is possible to do, but you'll more than likely need to drill the spot where the screws go into the body deeper in order to accomodate the ears on the pickups (mounting tabs) and also to allow for the height adjustment screws to not dig into the wood.

You may also need a set of pickup rings to adapt the normal pickups to the EMG routing... For this, I recommend visiting this site:

Frets On The Net

He's got the rings and all kinds of other cool stuff to do the swap your looking to do. In fact, I believe the page your gonna wanna see is here:

Pickup Rings

I'd research a little more on doing this, but I'm pretty sure you'll need to do the above mentioned in order to do it. And Dave at Frets On The Net is really reasonable with his prices too, so it'd be well worth getting what you'll need from him parts-wise.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
sweet man thanks alot, im gonna probly use this for sure, i will also put a review up of the guitar when i get it, its the new cort 7 string!

DropTheSun

Reaction score
i have a question about EMG PA-2 Boostswitch.

I'm going to put it in my Rg7321, when i get my new Bare knuckle PU's. So theres going to be lot of soldering when that day comes. :) But my problem is, that i can't find PA-2 Wiring Diagram for passive pickups.

Can anyone help me, how should i solder this thing in my Iba? My guitar specs are:
- 1 volume
- PA-2 boostswitch
- 2 Humbuckers
- 3-way PU-switch (fender style)

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
i have a question about EMG PA-2 Boostswitch.

I'm going to put it in my Rg7321, when i get my new Bare knuckle PU's. So theres going to be lot of soldering when that day comes. :) But my problem is, that i can't find PA-2 Wiring Diagram for passive pickups.

Can anyone help me, how should i solder this thing in my Iba? My guitar specs are:
- 1 volume
- PA-2 boostswitch
- 2 Humbuckers
- 3-way PU-switch (fender style)

it'll go like this in the signal chain:
Pickups - Switch - Volume pot - PA-2 - Input jack

You can also follow this diagram - http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-PA-2_r0230-0016D.pdf. Follow Diagram #1, just bypassing the tone pot. The connections to the switch from the pickups will be the same, and the output wire from the switch to the volume will be the same as you currently have it. Your output wire from the volume to the tone will now be the input to the PA-2.

Hope this helps...

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
I have an 81-7 bridge, and a 707 x for neck, best combo for seven string ever. :]

On my 8 i have two 808 x's (same thing as a 707 x, but an 8 string) and it sounds absolutely perfect.

DropTheSun

Reaction score
it'll go like this in the signal chain:
Pickups - Switch - Volume pot - PA-2 - Input jack

You can also follow this diagram - http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-PA-2_r0230-0016D.pdf. Follow Diagram #1, just bypassing the tone pot. The connections to the switch from the pickups will be the same, and the output wire from the switch to the volume will be the same as you currently have it. Your output wire from the volume to the tone will now be the input to the PA-2.

Hope this helps...

Thanks! :yesway:
I thought it would go like that, so I already soldered all the wires as you said. But haven't tested it yet (I'm waiting my new pu's to arrive) . Good to know that it's done right.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! :yesway:
I thought it would go like that, so I already soldered all the wires as you said. But haven't tested it yet. Good to know that it's done right.

No problem!!! Good luck and keeping fingers crossed for ya! You shouldn't have any issues with it.
:metal::yesway::hbang::shred::wavey:

flv75

Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm reading your impressions about the EMG 707 and I see that your experience with this pups is good ...
For me is really different , I have a Schecter Loomis with 707 on both bridge and neck ,I've no problem with their sound (maybe clean tones are not so good ...), the thing that I don't understant is the incredible squealing at medium high volume in every position of the picks : I have a 6505 but it's not a gain problem (generally 4,5 for me) ... When I open the volume pot without playing there is a massive feddback/squeal that I can stop only with a noise suppressor ... I've played with a Jackson 7 with a 707 and the problema is the same ... i've played with and old Ibanez modded with a 707 and the shit was the same ... What is you experience with the EMG 707 ? Some guys say that the pups are really quite , other have my problem ... and you ?

ps:sorry for my repulsive english ;)

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm reading your impressions about the EMG 707 and I see that your experience with this pups is good ...
For me is really different , I have a Schecter Loomis with 707 on both bridge and neck ,I've no problem with their sound (maybe clean tones are not so good ...), the thing that I don't understant is the incredible squealing at medium high volume in every position of the picks : I have a 6505 but it's not a gain problem (generally 4,5 for me) ... When I open the volume pot without playing there is a massive feddback/squeal that I can stop only with a noise suppressor ... I've played with a Jackson 7 with a 707 and the problema is the same ... i've played with and old Ibanez modded with a 707 and the shit was the same ... What is you experience with the EMG 707 ? Some guys say that the pups are really quite , other have my problem ... and you ?

In response to this, it could be likely that the pickups are microphonic, causing all the excess noise your experiencing and describing. Though an issue of a pickup being microphonic is usually found on passive pickups, it can, does and has happened to EMG/active pickups as well.

I experienced this same issue on one of my guitars, but I only noticed it being really bad once I had the EMG SPC and EXG controls put in it. I kept the pickups and wound up using them in another guitar, and they sound fine on thier own... My experiences with the 707's is a good one, and I have sets of them in several of my guitars.

Do you get the same noise when using another guitar - say another 7 w/o EMG's, with say DiMarzio's or Duncan's? Or like a 6-string with anything in it for pickups? Reason I ask is it may also be a wiring, cord, voltage or electrical issue somewhere other than the guitar. It's something else to try and pin-point to see if it IS the pickups or something else causing the noise. I'd also check all the connections in the guitar's control cavity as well, as it might be in there if not the amp or anything else...

Just a few ideas to start with and look at. Hope this helps and good luck!

Schmeer

Riff .....istrator
Reaction score

You don't have to use a ton of gain for a pickup to feedback. I usually play with the gain set about half way up, and all of my guitars will feed back if the volume on the amp is loud enough.
If you experience squealing when you turn up the guitars volume (while not playing), I'd say that's pretty normal. On the other hand, if it continues to squeal while you are playing there's probably something wrong.

flv75

Reaction score
Thank you very much guys !
In my experience I can say that this is a controversial aspect of the EMG ,
people has different opinion about the squeal problem of this pups ...
I've controlled the cablation of my Loomis many times , all is ok : generally
I don't use a tons of gain for my distortion cause I love a tight sound for
the best definition of my playing style . The thing I would to understand is
only one : in a live situation with a high volume and a ponderate amount of
gain , what is the general working of the EMG 707 ? Are Them silent like a
tomb or the bastards squeal like a pig ? I'm talking about when you stop to play , when the volume is open without playing ...
Cheers !

heilarkyguitar

Brown note
Reaction score
Thank you very much guys !
In my experience I can say that this is a controversial aspect of the EMG ,
people has different opinion about the squeal problem of this pups ...
I've controlled the cablation of my Loomis many times , all is ok : generally
I don't use a tons of gain for my distortion cause I love a tight sound for
the best definition of my playing style . The thing I would to understand is
only one : in a live situation with a high volume and a ponderate amount of
gain , what is the general working of the EMG 707 ? Are Them silent like a
tomb or the bastards squeal like a pig ? I'm talking about when you stop to play , when the volume is open without playing ...
Cheers !
A hush pedal or 2 wld fix that unless i just misunderstood you

The Necrotizer

Blasphemous Bastard
Reaction score
Anyone here experimented with a 707 in a SC607B (All Mahog. Body) ??? I wouldn't mind trying one out, but not sure whether to put it in the bridge or middle, Im leaning towards the bridge, I love the 81-7 lead tones I can get when using the middle pick up, its freaking fluid legato central :shred:, but when I use the 81-7 in the bridge, I find I can either set my EQ so my Low B is nice but the other strings lack balls, and if I EQ the top six strings nicely, the low B is a touch muddy and loses clarity. Same problem when I use both pup's together, I have to EQ out a fair bit of bass and boost the mids, which results in the treble strings sounding far too tinny.
Will a 707 in the bridge help add clarity and bring out my harmonics more when using the bridge or both pickups simultaneously?

')