EMG Vs Fishman

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Fishman = all day, errryday

EMGs have been the quickest pulled set of pickups I've ever owned (twice)

Blackouts > EMGs imo
Then Fishmans > Blackouts > EMGs

By the way, you made that guitar look so classy with the upgrades!

PariahMusic

Reaction score
Fishman = all day, errryday

EMGs have been the quickest pulled set of pickups I've ever owned (twice)

Blackouts > EMGs imo
Then Fishmans > Blackouts > EMGs

By the way, you made that guitar look so classy with the upgrades!

Lol wow. But yeah, I think that's the general consensus as far as active pickups. I liked the lead tone I got out of the EMGs a lot..but yup can get the same and better out of the fluences.

Thanks! Classy is a great word for it haha I'm in love.

Strobe

Reaction score
I love Fishmans and own 5 different sets - Tosins, Moderns (both 7 and 6 string), Classics, Strat, and Tele set. That said, I still have a guitar with EMG 81/85 in it, and it will be staying that way. EMG's have a sound to them. Sometimes that's the sound I want, even if I prefer most aspects of the Fishman sets.

PariahMusic

Reaction score
I love Fishmans and own 5 different sets - Tosins, Moderns (both 7 and 6 string), Classics, Strat, and Tele set. That said, I still have a guitar with EMG 81/85 in it, and it will be staying that way. EMG's have a sound to them. Sometimes that's the sound I want, even if I prefer most aspects of the Fishman sets.
Yup I hear you. I'm a fan of flexibility. They both have their place. Certainly keeping the EMGs in my Hellraiser Hybrid C8

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
I never played the fishmen myself so I am only relating to your video.

I actually like the EMGs better as I don't like these mid-focused djent tones that much.
While the EMG sound beefier (it' rare that someone calls these beefy, right?) the fishman sound more...uhm....djenty(sorry for the term)

But I wouldn't call one of these two better than the other.
Just different.

PariahMusic

Reaction score
I never played the fishmen myself so I am only relating to your video.

I actually like the EMGs better as I don't like these mid-focused djent tones that much.
While the EMG sound beefier (it' rare that someone calls these beefy, right?) the fishman sound more...uhm....djenty(sorry for the term)

But I wouldn't call one of these two better than the other.
Just different.
Im mostly in it for the flexibility and wanting to try them! But I will say this...I realized the next day that my pickup height on the Fluences was a little low, so that probably influenced it some. I raised them and they are a tad more full sounding.
But yeah, in a mix, it's nothing revolutionary between the two of them. All about the flexibility for me

PariahMusic

Reaction score
And guys... please subscribe if you're into this stuff. Building this channel is a huge goal for me!

KailM

Reaction score
I liked the rhythm tones of the EMG way more. Way more beef and a warmer chug. Couldn't stand the Fishman there, TBH.

I liked the Fishman lead tones better though. Cleans were a toss up.

PariahMusic

Reaction score
I liked the rhythm tones of the EMG way more. Way more beef and a warmer chug. Couldn't stand the Fishman there, TBH.

I liked the Fishman lead tones better though. Cleans were a toss up.
Fair enough. The only things to keep in mind are the pickup height thing I mentioned above, and that the tones were created for the EMGs. I used the same patch and settings to highlight differences.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Vastly preferred the EMGs. The Fishmans sound like you have a wah pedal engaged - there's such a prominent mid range bump somewhere.

My advice would be that if those patches were designed with your EMG-equipped guitar in mind, you'd probably want to tweak it a bit (unless you prefer the mid bump sound).

My own thoughts are that Fishman pickups are cool. I have a set in one of my favourite guitars. But the EMG81 has been around for almost 30 years and has been on so many epic metal albums. It's been successful for a reason. It sounds fucking good. They didn't suddenly become shit when the whole "passives are best" thing came along. And they didn't become worse when Fishman came up with a new way of making pickups.

PariahMusic

Reaction score
Vastly preferred the EMGs. The Fishmans sound like you have a wah pedal engaged - there's such a prominent mid range bump somewhere.

My advice would be that if those patches were designed with your EMG-equipped guitar in mind, you'd probably want to tweak it a bit (unless you prefer the mid bump sound).

My own thoughts are that Fishman pickups are cool. I have a set in one of my favourite guitars. But the EMG81 has been around for almost 30 years and has been on so many epic metal albums. It's been successful for a reason. It sounds fucking good. They didn't suddenly become shit when the whole "passives are best" thing came along. And they didn't become worse when Fishman came up with a new way of making pickups.
Completely agreed that EMGs are still fine. People are bandwagon-y..thankfully, folks on this site tend to avoid that. But yeah I do still prefer the fishmans after doing some patch tweaking for them. Certainly a personal preference thing.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I'm able to get my moderns sound a bit closer to the emg 81 with some tweaks in eq. The 81 has more bass i think and less sizzle. You'd think the 81 was slicey dicey, but the ceramic modern has a bit more high mids and treble. putting on hf tilt with the modern set got it closer to an emg 81x in my experience.

In a mix it won't matter. But live, the Fluence just has more pros for me. It is very very very quiet and live, I dont even need a noise gate even if im running gobs of gain and an od pedal. The 81 can't do that.

ptxxx

Reaction score
The fluence moderns definitely have the cocked wah sound as well. Kinda like a tubescreamer eq without the boost. It's not as prevalent at much lower 6 string tunings, at namely g # for me.

Bought the modern set to put in a les paul, and I did not like them in there at all. They found a home in the ibanez baritone, as it needed a bit of tightening up in the lows.

I'm very much a fan of the 57/66 emgs in standard 6s.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Personally for 7/8 strings I'd never bother with EMGs again. Tried the 707s, 707x, 808x, 57-66-8, 81x/85x-8 and all of them were meh imo.
that being said, the fishmans were def clearer, though that patch definitely didn't do it any favors. It was super quacky/honky. Using a patch made for the emgs skews the results imo. I'd have preferred if you could've used a more neutral patch/settings that works with both of them.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
As usual, I agree with you. In my case, substitute 81 above for 85 :)

lewis

Reaction score
Im still waiting for someone to compare an emg with the RPC knob against a fishman. The difference from stock seems that the fishman is tighter and more twangier/Hifi etc.

Which the rpc basically does for emgs. Tightens low end and boosts high end for more clarity.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
How is the Greg Koch tele set on high gain? Strongly considered getting them but ended up rolling with a Tone Zone T.

')