Eminence V12 or Texas Heat speakers - good or bad

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
I tried searching for them and got nothing. I figured this would have been covered already, if I was doing it wrong, I'd be more than willing to read through an existing thread.

I'm looking around for options for a new guitar cab. I can't decide on whether or not I want a 2x12 or a 4x12. I'd like to keep the cost under $500 so I'll probably end up going the 2x12 route.

I'm looking at Saxon cabs right now, they're in Canada and they're priced very reasonably. Avatar is pretty much out of the question - they're not a great deal at all since shipping over the border is stupidly expensive.

So getting to the point, a Saxon 2x12 loaded with Eminence V12's would seem to be a pretty good deal. Texas Heats are also pretty cheap (they're both listed at $79 each). I want a strong low end, it doesn't need to be super super tight, relaxed mids are alright, and as long as the highs aren't uncontrollable I'll be happy. I play death metal, so a little scoop isn't out of the question and I don't need a super smooth "pretty" tone at all. I know Swamp Thangs are the heavy hitters of the Eminence line, but that's another $200 added to the cabinet cost.

Maybe my best plan of action would be to get an unloaded 2x12 and stick the 2 Celestion 70/80's I already have in it and wait around for a while and upgrade speakers later. I'll probably just do this, but does anybody have any experience with either the Legend V12 or the Texas Heat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forced Chaos

Reaction score
My bandmate has a 4X12 loaded with Texas Heats and it has low end for days. I forget what wattage they are rated at but it's high. I have the Vader 2X12 with Legends and I really like those speakers. Not as much low end as the TH's but they are super tight and rated at 120 watts a piece. I'd actually like to replace one of my Legends for a TH and then have the best of both worlds.

groph

Reaction score
My bandmate has a 4X12 loaded with Texas Heats and it has low end for days. I forget what wattage they are rated at but it's high. I have the Vader 2X12 with Legends and I really like those speakers. Not as much low end as the TH's but they are super tight and rated at 120 watts a piece. I'd actually like to replace one of my Legends for a TH and then have the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim from Saxon emailed me back tonight (I sent the email only a few hours ago) and says that an unloaded 2x12 will run me $265, grand total, and one loaded with either V12's or TH's will be $428.

Texas Heats are 150W apiece so I'd be left with a 300W cab. Now the question is, how much better than Celestion Seventy/80's are Texas Heats or Legend V12's? Are they worth the extra $163? I'm assuming it's a good enough upgrade but the speakers are all pretty much the same price. I paid $80 ish for each 70/80, brand new from a store.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I had a cab with Seventy/80s, and i HATED those speakers. I use Eminence V12s now and couldnt be happier. These ARE worth the extra charge, believe me!!

groph

Reaction score
Sounds like I should go for the Eminences then.

I haven't really had the chance to test the 70/80's out in a high volume setting but they sound fine at low volume. My cab also sucks balls, it's an unfinished open back 2x12 so I can't really do a "controlled" test of how much my speakers suck.

I guess if I get a new cab from this guy I should load it with 2 V12's and pawn off a 70/80. I can stick one of them in my Peavey Bandit as when I tried that the amp sounded 4000 times better.

col

blah.
Reaction score
I swapped a V30 to a Texas Heat in my Matamp 2x12 (paired with a G12K100) and the tone changed to a warmer, thicker and bassier one. :2c: Now it sounds pretty much as big as my Matamp 4x12.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I haven't really had the chance to test the 70/80's out in a high volume setting but they sound fine at low volume. My cab also sucks balls, it's an unfinished open back 2x12 so I can't really do a "controlled" test of how much my speakers suck.

Yeah, at bedroom levels, the 70/80s arent that bad, they do well actually. But at band-levels, they have a NASTY breakup, like everything negative that comes with the breakup on G12T75s and V30s, minues the good stuff, compressed into one speaker. uuuaaahh...

')