Emmure -- "Speaker of the Dead" thread

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^I understand where you're coming from on that. I suppose it's simply because I don't rip on people or bands that a large group of present people like, make sense?

It's just kind of annoying that a thread created for fans of Emmure always has to have a bunch of people who don't like them come in and just rip on everything. Make sense?

Chill out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
^I understand where you're coming from on that. I suppose it's simply because I don't rip on people or bands that a large group of present people like, make sense?

It's just kind of annoying that a thread created for fans of Emmure always has to have a bunch of people who don't like them come in and just rip on everything. Make sense?

Chill out.

This thread was made for everyone. It has been stated before - It isn't an 'Emmure praise thread'. With that being said, it is NOT a 'Let's talk about how Emmure are a bunch of wiggers hur hur hur' - I agree.

I'm pretty calm, I'm just tired of ignorance.

I'm going to steer clear of this thread, ie. no more posts from me. Just keep what I said in mind...

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
please close this thread.

everytime i click on it to see if something new has come up and all i find is that it has degenerated further. Im sorry i posted in it at the beginning at all.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^I'm sure that's on the way, like every other Emmure thread lol.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This thread was made for everyone. It has been stated before - It isn't an 'Emmure praise thread'. With that being said, it is NOT a 'Let's talk about how Emmure are a bunch of wiggers hur hur hur' - I agree.

I'm pretty calm, I'm just tired of ignorance.

I'm going to steer clear of this thread, ie. no more posts from me. Just keep what I said in mind...

Dude, stop trying make it look like there's something wrong with us for not liking Emmure.

I talk shit about Emmure to my friends etc and I haven't been trolling as much as I used to. Is it such a bizarre concept for people to actually just think that 'X' band look like this or that or that their music is something or rather? You can like the band as much as you like, along with many others, but why do you have to find some kind of reason for people making these slurs? People think certain people are douchebags, whether they convey that opinion out loud is a different matter. It's life. Deal with it.

This thread is reaching the end of its tether to be quite frank.

Let's not forget guido slam.

wigger slam is such an awesome genre name. I'm having a hard time not tattooing it across my stomach.

Hurr hurr hurr apparently somebody decided not to heed my warning, and as a result, you're all getting two weeks. I'm not fucking around.

This thread is not over. The purpose is to discuss the CD. You're not allowed to come in here and dogpile the band and cause as much instability as possible, to force the thread closed. It doesn't work like that. A couple of you have been warned or banned by me directly but apparently you didn't get it. If any one of you three pull this shit again, I'm banning you for good.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
The song doesn't sound like much, but the tone sounds fan-friggin-tastic IMO. :eek:
It sounds fucking huge, almost like Nolly's BRJ mixes.

Now this might be my ignorance and unfamiliarity with djent and most modern core-y music but I don't get the hate on this. It's got groove, it's not a bunch of kids wearing skinny jeans, and it reminds me of a lot of the stuff posted in the recording section on these forums :lol: Maybe there aren't enough polyrythms and other funky stuff?

Hell, this > all the excuses for modern "death metal"!:metal: At least this'd get a crowd jumpin'.

Steve08

Reaction score
It sounds fucking huge, almost like Nolly's BRJ mixes.

Now this might be my ignorance and unfamiliarity with djent and most modern core-y music but I don't get the hate on this. It's got groove, it's not a bunch of kids wearing skinny jeans, and it reminds me of a lot of the stuff posted in the recording section on these forums :lol: Maybe there aren't enough polyrythms and other funky stuff?

Hell, this > all the excuses for modern "death metal"!:metal: At least this'd get a crowd jumpin'.
My own problem (note: totally my opinion, feel free to disregard this) is that they just basically lack riffs. A ton of breakdowns and syncopated chugging isn't a riff, in my mind. It's just rhythmic bludgeoning in an effort to be brutal without any genuine aggression, which I find excessively boring, and when that comprises the vast majority of a band's catalog, well... you get the point.

I get my fix of aggression and brutality from stuff like Cryptopsy, Angelcorpse, Suffocation and Anaal Nathrakh, so this kind of music doesn't appeal to me much at all. I guess if I had to summarize what I don't like about Emmure is that, if someone tabbed out all the riffs in a given song and put it into say Guitar Pro, it'd be totally boring. The riffs (which are pretty much the most important aspect of metal, period) don't stand on their own merits. And a good production job, which, yeah, should ultimately enhance the music, isn't enough to make me get into something, although I'm not saying that I don't care about production whatsoever, because I do. :lol:

again, I'm not trying to say anything blatantly negative about the band or start an argument, just wanting to provide a bit of discussion and share my thoughts.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
^ Well, I might get hate from everyone else on here, but all the chugging seems to work for the overload of djent maniacs on here :lol: That's why it surprises me how some bands get so much shit, too.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
My own problem (note: totally my opinion, feel free to disregard this) is that they just basically lack riffs. A ton of breakdowns and syncopated chugging isn't a riff, in my mind. It's just rhythmic bludgeoning in an effort to be brutal without any genuine aggression, which I find excessively boring, and when that comprises the vast majority of a band's catalog, well... you get the point.

I get my fix of aggression and brutality from stuff like Cryptopsy, Angelcorpse, Suffocation and Anaal Nathrakh, so this kind of music doesn't appeal to me much at all. I guess if I had to summarize what I don't like about Emmure is that, if someone tabbed out all the riffs in a given song and put it into say Guitar Pro, it'd be totally boring. The riffs (which are pretty much the most important aspect of metal, period) don't stand on their own merits. And a good production job, which, yeah, should ultimately enhance the music, isn't enough to make me get into something, although I'm not saying that I don't care about production whatsoever, because I do. :lol:

again, I'm not trying to say anything blatantly negative about the band or start an argument, just wanting to provide a bit of discussion and share my thoughts.

I completely agree. I'm a fan of a lot of different styles of music, and all of varying levels of complexity/technicality.

When I want my fix for simplistic metal, I still tend to want something with an emphasis on melody. Not that's it's wrong or anything to enjoy Emmure, I just really don't get it.

Steve08

Reaction score
^ Well, I might get hate from everyone else on here, but all the chugging seems to work for the overload of djent maniacs on here :lol: That's why it surprises me how some bands get so much shit, too.
The only djent I'm a fan of is AAL, Tesseract, Chimp Spanner, Keith Merrow as well as Textures and Cloudkicker if you'd count them haha.

But yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from.

GeoMantic

Reaction score

I know what you're saying, I'm not a big djent fan either. I honestly can't listen to Meshuggah.

I know this isn't an Emmure vs Meshuggah thread, but your point makes sense. However, understand that there is quite a bit more going on in a Mushuggah or song than there is an Emmure song. Meshuggah put more thought into syncopation, song structure, complex rhythm, etc. They were also one of the first of their kind, wheras with Emmure, I don't see them doing anything that any other band on the scene wasn't already implementing.

Not hating or flaming, but that's how I see the answer to your question.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't find anything flaming or hating about that. See, this is valuable discussion. Well done. :agreed:

I don't think anybody would debate that Meshuggah were innovators and also show a level of pretty advanced technical prowess; while Emmure is certainly retreading a lot of what's been done before and most doesn't showcase technical ability... however, it's apples and oranges. I know it was being thrown out there as an insult originally but honestly, yeah, I find their target audience to be more like Limp Bizkit's was (after they went mainstream). I saw a "slam" crowd live for the first time last week and I gotta say... they wanna just hear stuff that's got groove for them to sway to or go nuts in the pit to. Hell, they were playing dubstep over the PA between bands. Emmure scratches that itch well enough. To try and compare them to anything even remotely technical is to completely miss the point.

And I agree with UnderTheSign's original point. There's a lot of technical djent out there, but there's also a lot of syncopated chug 'djent'... infact, much moreso than the innovative kind. Not that that's a problem but yeah, it's "shake your ass" metal. If you're looking for Spawn of Possession or something, go find it.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the key point with this stuff is to just look at it with some objectivity, see it for what it is and try not to see it as any kind of metal. It's when you try to fit it into some already-existing concentric format that it won't go, like a square peg in a round hole, and that's when hairy leather-wearing meatheads like me get irked.

Of course, I'm one to talk, I've been TOTALLY suckered into the "PFFT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!?" malarky (I even did it the other day on another forum!), but as the months have gone by since this band hit it "big" I think I've just become more diplomatic and relaxed about their presence because I'm taking them for what they are - which is something I absolutely don't like, and think is fucking ridiculous, and doesn't fit into the realm of anything I perceive as good, so I just don't listen to it.

It's hard though, to not just look at this band like one gigantic joke, like their soul purpose in this industry is to troll metal in its entirety. But maybe that's the trick - Don't look at it as metal, or hardcore, or any of the infinite bullshit spin-offs. They have down-tuned guitars, but that's really the only parallel.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
...it's "shake your ass" metal..

This. Breakdowns, not to enhance the song, but just for the sake of them. Crushing two-step beats so kids can dance, melodic parts so the scene queens will get jiggy with the guys.

And I love it. Each little unnecessary part they throw in makes me happy. Like I stated earlier, one doesn't enjoy Emmure for the technical riffing.

Back to SOTD, though, I was listening to the CD in my truck, and noticed the phenomenal layering. I really think this is what they've been missing. Little backing tracks that at first listen go unnoticed, until you find yourself humming them while raking leaves or what-have-you.

MetalMyke

Reaction score
Emmure was pretty much one of the first deathcore bands I started listening to, so they will always be one of those guys I listen to, minus Felony. Honestly, this album is pretty solid. I think Emmure takes pride in their simplicity, while guys like me are constantly trying to shove as many leads, sweeps, and tapping ornaments into our breakdowns, they just chug-chug and I think thats what kinda sets them apart. That and Frankie is one pissed off .............

Steve08

Reaction score
This. Breakdowns, not to enhance the song, but just for the sake of them. Crushing two-step beats so kids can dance, melodic parts so the scene queens will get jiggy with the guys.
This is fair enough I think. Not really into that myself but as long as they're sincere in their intentions, I don't have a problem.

... although, I have to ask, what is a two-step? I've heard that term a whole bunch but I have no clue as to what they actually are :lol:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
This is fair enough I think. Not really into that myself but as long as they're sincere in their intentions, I don't have a problem.

... although, I have to ask, what is a two-step? I've heard that term a whole bunch but I have no clue as to what they actually are :lol:

It's like a half-assed punk drum beat. Nothing special :lol:.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Glad to see the majority of discussion now is intelligent lol.

Emmure literally was the first deathcore band I heard.

Me and a couple dudes from my band went to see Bury Your Dead. Emmure was one of the openers. I looked them up on YouTube the night before, GTTG was still their most recent album, so it was the "10 Signs You Should Leave" video. My drummer asked me what they sounded like, and honestly all I could come up with was, "Uhh, like... death...core?"

Had never heard the term before, it just worked.

templton89

russki 3Dartist dude
Reaction score
typically not my cup of tea, and nothing like deathcore I usually enjoy - All Shall Perish, My Autumn, Black Dahlia, Danza (oh please please forgive me if they aren't DC) etc, but I've actually enjoyed this CD and got a few "new favorite tracks" that will get a lot of play for a week or two before they are forgotten :lol:
Plenty of drive and I like melodic "leads" layered on top of breakdowns in a few tracks.

I can see why a lot people hate their image or this style, there are tons of bands that sound similar and many probably think that labels should sign real muscians with real talent instead. But if you randomly discover ONE band or one album to add to your wide library of genres, I guess it's not too bad.

With that being said, if I were to listen to every similar deathcore band and all of their albums, I'd go crazy pretty soon and would hate all of it.

')