Emmure -- "Speaker of the Dead" thread

GeoMantic

Reaction score
typically not my cup of tea, and nothing like deathcore I usually enjoy - All Shall Perish, My Autumn, Black Dahlia, Danza (oh please please forgive me if they aren't DC) etc, but I've actually enjoyed this CD and got a few "new favorite tracks" that will get a lot of play for a week or two before they are forgotten :lol:
Plenty of drive and I like melodic "leads" layered on top of breakdowns in a few tracks.

I can see why a lot people hate their image or this style, there are tons of bands that sound similar and many probably think that labels should sign real muscians with real talent instead. But if you randomly discover ONE band or one album to add to your wide library of genres, I guess it's not too bad.

With that being said, if I were to listen to every similar deathcore band and all of their albums, I'd go crazy pretty soon and would hate all of it.

There is nothing deathcore about The Black Dahlia Murder. I can see how their first two albums had some metalcore influence, but Nocturnal and Deflorate are straight melodic death.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

templton89

russki 3Dartist dude
Reaction score
There is nothing deathcore about The Black Dahlia Murder. I can see how their first two albums had some metalcore influence, but Nocturnal and Deflorate are straight melodic death.
alright my bad, but that just goes to show that I dont really know or care much about all those different genres and sub-genres. If I like music, I like it regardles of what it's called and how musicians look (Tokio Hotel is an exception :lol:).

to me it's all "modern metal" :scratch:

Reaction score
This.

Emmure aren't even deathcore, that's the funniest part.

There's this completely separate genre of heavy music that is emerging which has, in my opinion, nothing to do with heavy metal.

I'm not trying to stir shit here but Emmure to me just sounds like wigger slam.

Call it Wigger Slam, it's still awesome.

Even if this genre had nothing to do with metal whatsoever (which is definitely does), it's still awesome.

I hate metalheads sometimes. I'm sure everyone who likes this band who grew up on Thrash and Death Metal like I did will know a shitload of people that make you feel like this too.

It's fucking heavy. There's nothing to hate. It's not even easy to play (even the simplest bands are no easier than most classic metal bands) The drums, the changes, it's hard to get tight. The drums are infinitely harder than most metal that came before and a good portion of metal now and the songs, contrary to popular belief actually do have to be well written or they just wouldn't work.

Honestly, metalheads complaining about Deathcore remind me more of regular folk complaining about metal than anything. There are so many parallels in the criticism and experience of liking it as a genre.

It's easy to play, no talent, the bands all sound the same.

Born of Osiris sound different to JFAC who sound different to Despised Icon who sound different to Emmure who sound different to Suicide Silence. Deathcore is as varied as Thrash ever was.

*I fucking love hair metal

Reaction score
This album is aight. I like it. Some of it is really fuckin heavy some of it is catchy and some of it makes you go "wtf"
i like it.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I don't feel any heaviness in their songs tbh... But then again I don't think most deathcore in this vein is heavy either. To me heaviness is expressed differently (fast grooves, not slow as hell tritone syncopations), but that's OT so I'll shut up. I have to admit that a handful of 'riffs' (is that the appropriate term for this? genuinely asking, not trolling) made me bob my head though. Some songs felt like extended versions of Veil of Maya's 'breakdown songs' like Martyrs, Wounds etc, and I appreciate those songs.

The Number of the Blog also did an amusing review of the album, apparently it was voted by readers for him to review. I'm afraid I'll have to agree with him on some counts. I don't know how much of it is serious since that column is usually rather negative anyway, but this time they seem to be particularly negative. Is this critical reaction shared by many? I've seen a lot of hate for the album, but it seems to be doing well, so what gives?

Sunday One-Listen Album Review: Emmure – Speaker of the Dead | The Number Of The Blog – Fucking Metal

I do have to admit some of their rhythms are kind of catchy, but tbh I feel like their older albums had more "feel" to them whereas this one is more "calculated" (to appeal to a broader audience maybe?), or at least that's how I feel.

Not something I can appreciate, and I don't see any value in this music, but people seem to be into it so whatever. I just wanted to drop in and see what this is all about to understand the whole shitstorm, and I can see why people are so polar about it.

Btw, does anyone know what the deal is with the album cover? I don't get it.

Steve08

Reaction score
I don't feel any heaviness in their songs tbh... But then again I don't think most deathcore in this vein is heavy either. To me heaviness is expressed differently (fast grooves, not slow as hell tritone syncopations), but that's OT so I'll shut up. I have to admit that a handful of 'riffs' (is that the appropriate term for this? genuinely asking, not trolling) made me bob my head though. Some songs felt like extended versions of Veil of Maya's 'breakdown songs' like Martyrs, Wounds etc, and I appreciate those songs.

The Number of the Blog also did an amusing review of the album, apparently it was voted by readers for him to review. I'm afraid I'll have to agree with him on some counts. I don't know how much of it is serious since that column is usually rather negative anyway, but this time they seem to be particularly negative. Is this critical reaction shared by many? I've seen a lot of hate for the album, but it seems to be doing well, so what gives?

Sunday One-Listen Album Review: Emmure – Speaker of the Dead | The Number Of The Blog – Fucking Metal

I do have to admit some of their rhythms are kind of catchy, but tbh I feel like their older albums had more "feel" to them whereas this one is more "calculated" (to appeal to a broader audience maybe?), or at least that's how I feel.

Not something I can appreciate, and I don't see any value in this music, but people seem to be into it so whatever. I just wanted to drop in and see what this is all about to understand the whole shitstorm, and I can see why people are so polar about it.

Btw, does anyone know what the deal is with the album cover? I don't get it.
Popular and trendy music always does well. Stuff like Attack Attack and Asking Alexandria are even more popular than Emmure and people enjoy them as well. /shrug

My good friend Jack (shameless plug: who is in a much better deathcore band called Slice the Cake) had this to say, which sums up my thoughts entirely although I'm not a fan of this band in the first place (I also wrote another, more detailed post to this effect about a page ago if you care at all haha):

This is coming from someone who is an unashamed fan of Emmure's last three albums.

Emmure's new album is one of the most boring, undeserved of Sturgis production, rehashed, generic and generally average albums I have ever heard. There are literally 3 songs on the album that AREN'T composed entirely of the exact same "riff" they've used on all their other albums and those three are all mediocre nu-metal songs anyway.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Popular and trendy music always does well. Stuff like Attack Attack and Asking Alexandria are even more popular than Emmure and people enjoy them as well. /shrug

My good friend Jack (shameless plug: who is in a much better deathcore band called Slice the Cake) had this to say, which sums up my thoughts entirely although I'm not a fan of this band in the first place (I also wrote another, more detailed post to this effect about a page ago if you care at all haha):

Slice the Cake are awesome!

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It will be in my Top 5 of 2011, guaranteed.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
"Lights Bring Salvation
A lot of people who are reading this might have heard or read about my beliefs in a planet called Nibiru, and that it is on collision with Earth. But a lot of you might not be aware of something called the Ashtar Command. To fully grasp this song, it will take a lot of personal research on both these subjects. But to knock this down into a few words, the song is about the “what if” of a possible star or planet crashing into the Earth, and if we are going to be saved. If some of us are and some of us are not, who will you reach out to save your soul?"

thats some powerful stupid right there
trying to mysterious and cryptic and failing...hardcore. Better get on that "personal research"

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
"Lights Bring Salvation
A lot of people who are reading this might have heard or read about my beliefs in a planet called Nibiru, and that it is on collision with Earth. But a lot of you might not be aware of something called the Ashtar Command. To fully grasp this song, it will take a lot of personal research on both these subjects. But to knock this down into a few words, the song is about the “what if” of a possible star or planet crashing into the Earth, and if we are going to be saved. If some of us are and some of us are not, who will you reach out to save your soul?"

thats some powerful stupid right there
trying to mysterious and cryptic and failing...hardcore. Better get on that "personal research"

The part where he condenses it down to those last two sentences isn't stupid at all. I don't buy his (or most anyone's) conspiracy theories, but writing a song on that premise is fairly interesting. Did Frankie execute it well? That's debatable, especially if you're a diehard fanboy, but the premise itself seems like a fascinating topic to me.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
The part where he condenses it down to those last two sentences isn't stupid at all. I don't buy his (or most anyone's) conspiracy theories, but writing a song on that premise is fairly interesting. Did Frankie execute it well? That's debatable, especially if you're a diehard fanboy, but the premise itself seems like a fascinating topic to me.

did you read his other descriptions? i highly recommend it. This one is like Tolstoy compared to some of the others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^

Either way, I'm not going to spend my time doing personal research on something Frankie Thanos Bison D. Lamp made up in his head. :lol:

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Dudes, don't deny your favorite game characters aren't part of YOUR schizophrenic identity.
Kirby does that shit to me every time I try to sit down and enjoy my meal. Fucker just takes over and MUNCH there goes my food. I can't help it!

')