Emmure -- "Speaker of the Dead" thread

Reaction score
Joey's POD tones destroy every Axe-FX tone I've ever heard on this forum. If you guys are that surprised, you should check out more of his work.

Born of Osiris was supposed to be working with Joey. If they had, this Emmure cd wouldn't have been recorded by him. They only got the chance after BOO canceled. It would have been nice to hear an album by a band I actually like produced by Joey instead of... Emmure...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Joey's POD tones destroy every Axe-FX tone I've ever heard on this forum. If you guys are that surprised, you should check out more of his work.

Born of Osiris was supposed to be working with Joey. If they had, this Emmure cd wouldn't have been recorded by him. They only got the chance after BOO canceled. It would have been nice to hear an album by a band I actually like produced by Joey instead of... Emmure...

More power to Emmure, then :hbang:

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
wow that was a long time ago, haha. Crafter from I Killed The Prom Queen was on vocals for a few months and went back to Auzzie.

he currently sings in a band called Confession who play a similar style of mosh metal.

Myke Terry was the current vocalist the last I read (he's on the last two albums) but I just saw articles saying he might have been let go? No idea now, that band seems to have a revolving door for band members!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I'm convinced that Bury Your Dead, For The Fallen Dreams, and Legend are all just the same bands with interchanging members. :lol:

DGKarehere

french dude, Brian
Reaction score
Damn....I hate Emmure but they did a good job at creating a dark atmosphere with that breakdown hahaha

I totally agree for the dark atmoshphere. It reminds me of GttG. I did'nt like Felony. Think The Respect Issue had some decent songs and GttG was like.. THE best album from them:eek:. so dark.

so stoked to listen to speakers of the dead:hbang:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
The production seems pretty cool, which is something I've always thought it cool about deathcore. However...

222----2---2
111----1---1
000----0---0

:lol:

I personally prefer

000----00
000----00
111----11 :hbang:

On a side note, if deathcore=metalcore crossed with death metal, is calling Emmure deathcore valid? I'm not hearing a lot of death metal in their stuff.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The production seems pretty cool, which is something I've always thought it cool about deathcore. However...

Really? There are plenty of deathcore records that don't sound all that great production wise :shrug:
It's not any different to other genres, some stuff has crap production, some sounds fantastic.
The Born of Osiris stuff has always had pretty bad production.
Their first album sounded boxy and incredibly "fake", and the second album has virtually no bottom end what so ever.
I've only got one Veil of Maya album, "All Things Set Aside" and the production on that is pretty bad too.

Marcus

I kill threads
Reaction score
the second album has virtually no bottom end what so ever.

I really liked that guitar tone :ugh:

But yeah I always figured that's just how they wanted the tone to sound and everything else on the album came out really nice (Now Arise sounds HUGE in my car)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I really liked that guitar tone :ugh:

But yeah I always figured that's just how they wanted the tone to sound and everything else on the album came out really nice (Now Arise sounds HUGE in my car)

Well I consider a lot of the guitar tone to really be in the bass guitar too.
The thing with that production is that most of the elements actually sound fairly well done, but unless you've got a good bottom end, the entire thing is going to sound thin and weedy.

Reaction score
I personally prefer

000----00
000----00
111----11 :hbang:

On a side note, if deathcore=metalcore crossed with death metal, is calling Emmure deathcore valid? I'm not hearing a lot of death metal in their stuff.

A fan of drop tunings I see :lol:

They're without a doubt deathcore.

Really? There are plenty of deathcore records that don't sound all that great production wise :shrug:
It's not any different to other genres, some stuff has crap production, some sounds fantastic.
The Born of Osiris stuff has always had pretty bad production.
Their first album sounded boxy and incredibly "fake", and the second album has virtually no bottom end what so ever.
I've only got one Veil of Maya album, "All Things Set Aside" and the production on that is pretty bad too.

I think the production on most of the white chapel and suicide silence stuff is pretty good (can't listen to the stuff very long but regardless), but I just meant generally the production in deathcore is quite a bit better than death metal in general.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I think the production on most of the white chapel and suicide silence stuff is pretty good (can't listen to the stuff very long but regardless), but I just meant generally the production in deathcore is quite a bit better than death metal in general.

One of things I see people commenting a lot on is how deathcore lacks the raw edge of "real death metal". I'm not surprised that on a guitar forum, this isn't brought up often :lol:.

Does anyone have any insight on how labels decide who to produce albums with? Or is it the band's decision? I've noticed that on either debut albums or label-debut albums, the production is worse than any subsequent albums. This is certainly the case for Emmure, at least.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
For me, Ke$ha is better than this stuff. Not trolling, my actual legitimate opinion. Nice tone as many have said before me, but the music is awful to me.

Looking at what Joey Sturgis's list of albums that he produced, they all seem to be awful (I admit that I don't know of a few of the bands on that list), but they all have decent production. That's really a shame, I'd like to hear that kind of tome with some bands that I like as well.

Note: when I say awful, it's just my opinion. I don't like them. Feel free to like them, live and let live.

Reaction score
One of things I see people commenting a lot on is how deathcore lacks the raw edge of "real death metal". I'm not surprised that on a guitar forum, this isn't brought up often :lol:.

Does anyone have any insight on how labels decide who to produce albums with? Or is it the band's decision? I've noticed that on either debut albums or label-debut albums, the production is worse than any subsequent albums. This is certainly the case for Emmure, at least.

The more money a band is pulling in the more money a label will spend resources on them.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
For me, Ke$ha is better than this stuff. Not trolling, my actual legitimate opinion. Nice tone as many have said before me, but the music is awful to me.

Looking at what Joey Sturgis's list of albums that he produced, they all seem to be awful (I admit that I don't know of a few of the bands on that list), but they all have decent production. That's really a shame, I'd like to hear that kind of tome with some bands that I like as well.

Note: when I say awful, it's just my opinion. I don't like them. Feel free to like them, live and let live.

this is the internet doggy, we don't like opinions here.

')