Emmure -- "Speaker of the Dead" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

richcastle66

Prog is Life
Reaction score
Really? There are plenty of deathcore records that don't sound all that great production wise :shrug:
It's not any different to other genres, some stuff has crap production, some sounds fantastic.
The Born of Osiris stuff has always had pretty bad production.
Their first album sounded boxy and incredibly "fake", and the second album has virtually no bottom end what so ever.
I've only got one Veil of Maya album, "All Things Set Aside" and the production on that is pretty bad too.

thats because it was their very first album, barely even produced. the tone on their newest album, [id], is awesome.

Blood Ghost

Reaction score
I'm really digging the tone, and I may pick the album up. The only thing they do that really turns me off is that one chord:

f _|-----------|
c_|-----------|
g#|-----------|
d#|-----------|
A#|-----------|
F_|--0-0-0-0--|
A#|--1-1-1-1--|

They do have some really sick grooves, and I wanted so badly to like their older albums, but I always find myself skipping the track when I hear that chord. I dunno, there's just something I really dislike about it, it sounds displeasing to my ears. If this is kept to a minimum on the new record though, I'll buy it.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
I feel like I've heard this before. It may just be me though.:lol:

Seriously though, it's totally fine with me that people enjoy this stuff. I just don't understand it. I'm not even opposed to breakdowns thrown in songs (when done tastefully). One or two is fine, but I find it hard to get excited about more of the same.

One question though, does anyone know why they moved to sevenstrings? I'm not saying they need to use everyone one of the strings the entire song, but I can't understand when bands like Emmure and Carnifex move to 7, but still only seemingly utilize 3 or 4 of them.

I guess it is a good thing that 7 string players are getting more attention, I'm just afraid that it's starting to stereotype the instrument, similar to what happened with the whole nu-metal thing.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score

Seriously though, it's totally fine with me that people enjoy this stuff. I just don't understand it. I'm not even opposed to breakdowns thrown in songs (when done tastefully). One or two is fine, but I find it hard to get excited about more of the same.

One question though, does anyone know why they moved to sevenstrings? I'm not saying they need to use everyone one of the strings the entire song, but I can't understand when bands like Emmure and Carnifex move to 7, but still only seemingly utilize 3 or 4 of them.

I guess it is a good thing that 7 string players are getting more attention, I'm just afraid that it's starting to stereotype the instrument, similar to what happened with the whole nu-metal thing.

2 possible reasons:

1- The "oh yeah I got seven strings!!!!" factor
2- Needing to play low notes but not having enough scale length on a six string guitar

So yeah, valid reasons I guess but I prefer the approach of Nevermore/ATB, more strings = more notes.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
2 possible reasons:

1- The "oh yeah I got seven strings!!!!" factor
2- Needing to play low notes but not having enough scale length on a six string guitar

So yeah, valid reasons I guess but I prefer the approach of Nevermore/ATB, more strings = more notes.

But in a lot of cases, the sevenstrings they are using still have a 25.5" scale length, and you can buy baritone scale 6's.

Whatever they prefer I guess:scratch:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whenever I do "chugga chugga chugga" rhythm parts, I sometimes add 5th fret harmonics on my higher strings to break it up some.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Pretty sure they didnt 'move' to seven strings, their guitarist has been using 7 strings since 1998. The other guitarist uses a Jim Root tele!

You might as well say 'why dont they play in drop B' while you're at it, it's simply personal preference. The guy got into 7 strings through Fear Factory. Probably not unlike many others on this forum.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don't think that chord will ever be at a minimum on any Emmure song, let alone an entire album lol.

I don't particularly dig the chord, but I love the way Emmure uses it. Same with Whitechapel, Caliban and Suicide Silence.

Plus, whatever tuning they're using... it makes the chord sound demonic.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score

don't agree about nevermore. the riffs were way more complex and busy when they were on six strings and tuned to Eb. The height of their complexity was PoE.

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score

Go ahead Josh.. Keep bashing Carnifex. :lol:

GeoMantic

Reaction score
Go ahead Josh.. Keep bashing Carnifex. :lol:

They are literally the worst band I have ever heard live, and that's saying something considering all of the local bands in the area. I'm pretty sure the "hxc" fans ruined it for me when I got hit like 4 times before they even started playing anything. I almost made the mistake of seeing Emmure open for somebody, I don't remember what band I was going to see, but then I decided to just go outside.

I'm just not a fan of the scene that's involved with these bands in general. There are a few bands I can listen to and enjoy live, but this kind of stuff I seriously can't understand.

Just when it can't get any more bland and predictable, it somehow does.

That being said, it's probably something I'm not understanding, it's whatever.

Reaction score
they got one more album with victory.......then its major label time for them
Apparently Victory Records isn't a major label anymore, this thread proved that.....:scratch:
(do some research)

I'm not a huge Emmure fan, the raving and ranting about this tone isn't a surprise. Their popularity is growing so they are getting a bigger budget for recording. I will agree it's starting to finally sound enjoyable to the ear. I personally think the clip defines what this album is going to be and every album before it. Let's see how this posts change when people in here get an It Leaked account.

')