Emotional attachment to a guitar.....

• Thread starter Ckackley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stryker1800

Sweet Pickle
Reaction score
all of my guitars but my xiphos were bought for me by my parents, i couldn't possible imagine getting rid of any of them even though i play my schecter damien the most now days

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't read the thread.

From experience don't sell anything you think you might regret, ever, seriously think how you would respond to a death in the family, if you have a strong sentimental attachment it isn't a death in the family but chances are it's never coming back so it is very similar. That said I will soon sell something I know I will regret but for about 30+ times what you will get for your LP, here's hoping I will win the lotto tonight and never have to sell it.

I have o idea how old you are but guitars really are not that expensive, if you have any sentimental attachment to an object don't trade it, wait until you can afford what you want, it can wait.

If you read all that and don't get it chances are you can sell/trade it and not give a shit down the road.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
:bowdown:Words of wisdom all around. This about seals it. The LP stays. :) Reading everyone's posts go me thinking about everything I've done with that guitar and how excited I was when I got it. You guys rule, as usual.

Ok read the thread now :yesway:

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
cool..my $0.02 worth : i still have the 1st guitar my parents bought me and it is a classical guitar which is going on 15 years. it is with me at work in my office and every now and then i use it.

this guitar will never be sold or modified or anything else because it is part of me.

I agree with everyone else, do not do anything if you are not 100% sure.

Some axes are just tools, others are just mistress, some are made to be wives....

Lasik124

Reaction score
I love my Les Paul...So much. I will never get rid of it.

metalmachine

Reaction score
i have a jackson ps3 i never play but i will never get rid of it. it was my mian axe for years and years. dont do it

willyman101

Reaction score
I just got an American Strat and I named it today haha. I just like the idea of having it in many years time. i may not play it in 20 years, but that's besides the point. Doubtless I'll play it between now and then absolutely loads and I cherish the idea of having an emotional attachment to the guitar. It just takes 'love of the instrument' to a new level...

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
My mom and dad got my Yamaha RGX621 for me on my 18th birthday after pretending to forget it all day. 14 years later that guitar hasn't left my possession and it never will.

I've got an Ibanez that my now-ex got for me and it will also never leave my possession.

If you've got an emotional tie to the guitar, dont' sell it.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I have a Squier subsonic baritone I picked up on a trip to New York back in 2002 and I've had a love/hate relationship with it but these days it's mostly love. It's a simple fixed bridge strat with humbuckers and is very similar to ESP's Jon Donais sig it's perfect for me as it's not too over the top on features and isn't too far removed from the "classic" strat (although it's neck thru which is very unusual for any Squier/Fender) and I know that I will never sell it as it's a uniquely playable reminder of a cool holiday plus it only cost me $100 in closeout.

Over the years I've sold gear because I'm broke and I've let go of some cool pedals that are hard to find (Dod Buzz Box anyone?) I've also sold an original Fender Jagstang and a Jackson Roswell Rhoads which I've regretted doing ever since as they were both great guitars and are now quite rare so at this point in life I've learned my lesson and as crazy as it sounds I'd rather go hungry than sell any gear I love again.

AliceAxe

Reaction score
Gee when I saw the title of the thread I thought the subject would be similar to like how this lady fell in love with and married the Eiffel tower, that kind of attachment.

Well I was a bit in love with my first real guitar , his name his Max and he is still with me though now he's a crusty old worn out bastard, but he still holds a special place in my heart
loveyou.gif

stryker1800

Sweet Pickle
Reaction score
Gee when I saw the title of the thread I thought the subject would be similar to like how this lady fell in love with and married the Eiffel tower, that kind of attachment.

well there was that one time, had a few to many drinks and there was an acoustic there... and that sound hole .... :idea:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i got my first guitar for my 16th birthday in 86. it was in the sears catalog for $169 and i drooled over it for a year. it was a cheap (but decent) explorer copy called the effector by cort - anybody remember that? all black and had built in effects - 7 buttons.

it was my poorboy phil collen def leppard guitar. the whole reason i started playing in the first place. some other bands i liked at the time were using gibsons - metallica & scorpions.

i tore it up over the years and one day decided i would restore it. took it apart, put it in the case and thats where it has been for the last 6-7 years. i have and had many guitars over the years including finally getting a real ibanez destroyer dt-555bk (see my albums). this effector i will keep for as long as i live cause i know i will miss it if i ever got rid of it. too many good times & memories.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I had the same Strat with me for 8 or 9 years now. It's been re-fretted, modified electronics, different pickups and has chips, dings and scratches all over it.

But I've played it in everything I've done at some point. It's just 'MY' guitar, it doesn't play great and don't look great either but I can get a tone and feel out of it like nothing else. I've never considered selling it.

')