Emulating instruments other than the guitar

• Thread starter progmetalhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progmetalhead

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of trying to assemble a home studio for myself and I need some advice.

I'd like the capability to emulate instruments/sounds I do not have access to (pianos, choirs, etc). What are my options to accomplish this? Getting authentic sounds is very important to me, and cost doesn't matter (to a point...). I will be recording on my iMac. I'm still deciding on an interface and DAW.

From the research I've done thus far, I really like the concept of a midi guitar for its convenience.

Also, I only care about the recording aspect. I'm not worried about live performances at this time.

Any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
If you're only about recording, get plugins and program the music, save time and money instead of playing it with a MIDI guitar. You can save for the MIDI guitar later if you want to play live and get your recording gear immediately.

If it's any help, I use Ableton Live Lite 8 and it works for what I want, but I'm saving up for Suite.

Trypios

Reaction score
I use Nuendo, XLN audio addictive drums, NI Komplete (it has a huge library of sounds), LA scoring strings, Spectrasonics Trillian (bass), East West quantum leap RA (ethnic instruments), East West quantum leap symphonic choir and voices of passion. Very happy with the sounds thus far.

PS I also have a Caparison TAT special midi ready for sale :)

progmetalhead

Reaction score
Well I've been looking at the recommendations and I have to say that the EastWest programs sound fantastic. I guess my follow-up question is, how exactly do these programs work? Do I control the music through a keyboard or do I just write the music on a staff or what?

Trypios

Reaction score
Both methods work, though most people who don't play the keyboard use a third option called 'piano roll'. It's a grid that consists of a vertical axis presenting the note assignments (with piano keys) and a horizontal axis which is the quantization (note length). My poor English and explanation can make the piano roll sound difficult, but it's very easy to learn in a few minutes.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
The absolute *best* string and wind orchestral synth I've ever used is Synful.

Synful

Listen to the samples and be blown away.

At near $500US, it is not inexpensive if you're a hobbyist, but if you're recording and not playing in real time, you will not find another product which sounds so real.