Engl 412 Pro vs 412 XXL

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Engl 412 XXL cab? I'm going to be getting a new cab with a head I'm about to buy, and I can't work out which cab to go with

Judging by the Engl website, the XXL mainly appears to be an oversized Pro cab; does this mean it'll be very much the same as the Recto 4x12 I've already got? If not, what are the differences? Is it worth going for the XXL over the Pro? Can I ask any more questions? I don't think I can? And... I've turned into an Aussie?

Any help would be appreciated, guys :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
what head are you getting?

get an orange cab :agreed:

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
I've hopped on the Invader 100 bandwagon; played one a month or so ago and was really impressed with it. And if I could get a Orange cab with an Engl deal, I know I've seen enough posts on here to know that I wouldn't need to be asking this question :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
used orange 212? should be a bit less then the ENGL methinks?

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
The thing is, part of the deal is that I buy a head and a cab. And since I'll be touring it, I can't really be seen to play the head through another manufacturer's cab, otherwise I'd be saving my pennies and just use my Recto cab

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
aaah i seeee the dilemma!

is size an issue with touring it? any way to test them both out?

:ugh: now im asking a bunch of questions :lol:

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
well, i have a 4x12 Engl pro cab and it's pretty great. I used to use my mesa oversized recto 4x12 cab (w/vintage 30's) all the time but i used the Engl cab on a tour last summer and my drummer said to me that the Engl cab cuts so much better than the mesa cab and he was able to hear me a lot better when we would play out...being as most of the venues we played at had no drum monitors.

just personal preference though has led me to using my mesa cab more often. i love both cabs and the Pro cab would be a great choice. no experience with the XXL however.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
aaah i seeee the dilemma!

is size an issue with touring it? any way to test them both out?

Nah, size isn't an issue at all. I've been using the Recto cab and a Road King up until now, and the cab is much bigger than most. I'm just looking for something that will sound different, 'cause I don't want two cabs that sound identical! :lol:

well, i have a 4x12 Engl pro cab and it's pretty great. I used to use my mesa oversized recto 4x12 cab (w/vintage 30's) all the time but i used the Engl cab on a tour last summer and my drummer said to me that the Engl cab cuts so much better than the mesa cab and he was able to hear me a lot better when we would play out...being as most of the venues we played at had no drum monitors.

just personal preference though has led me to using my mesa cab more often. i love both cabs and the Pro cab would be a great choice. no experience with the XXL however.

That's exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear; thanks man! So the Pro cab has more of a mid-range presence than the Mesa?

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
kinda. i mean, both cabs have the same speakers, V30's but the Engl cab is A LOT smaller and heavier than the mesa cab so that might add to its punchy-ness and the overall ability to cut better, seeing as Engl's generally have a more mid-focused sound, where as mesa cabs, especially recto cabs are made to accentuate the recto's more scooped tone.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
It's heavier? Wow, wasn't expecting to hear that at all

Unless someone else chimes in with their experience of the XXL, I'll be going with the Pro cab methinks :yesway:

')