ENGL 570 Preamp appreciation

• Thread starter DarkCide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkCide

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cigilovic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi DarkCide,
Not really. I believe the more recent ones shipped with black knobs. Although they may seem to be an improvement, it's still very difficult to spot exact pot positions. I was going to change these a more standard, easier-to-read knobs, but I gave up.

EQ-wise, I don't feel the need to tweak all day long. I also asked ENGL about the year of manufacture. It was made in 2021, right after I wrote this article, it was discontinued. :/

Gmork

Reaction score
Always wanted to try the 570. I had an e530 and it was one of my favorite tones i ever got!! Loved that thing!

jonsick

Reaction score
I have just gone rack myself. Engl E570 and E840 for the win!

What MIDI controller are you using? I just need 8 or so switches for various sounds but crucially would like it to fit into a rack space so I can store it in the rack.

DarkCide

Reaction score
I have just gone rack myself. Engl E570 and E840 for the win!

What MIDI controller are you using? I just need 8 or so switches for various sounds but crucially would like it to fit into a rack space so I can store it in the rack.

Rolls Midibuddy. I made my own tap delay pedal and double sided taped it next to the Midibuddy to use with the Replifex.

boltzthrower

Reaction score
I wonder why they discontinued the E570/E670. I own/owned E570/E670, Powerball, Fireball, Savage and the E530 and the E570/E670 are my favorite pre and head, ever.

Rayaus

Reaction score
I got really lucky to get a new E570 2 years ago right before they were going to get discontinued. It's a European model, so I have to run an adapter for it to run on 120v, but it's been an amazing preamp for me.

I mostly use the high gain channels, and to me, it sounds perfect for a modern, tight and clear tone, and super saturated and compressed leads.

Elric

Reaction score
The Engl rack stuff is top notch but always felt overpriced to me in the US. My rack stuff is Synergy+Fractal so I am down w/ rack stuff. The Engl Powerball is one of my faves of the Synergy modules.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
If it is what you really want, don't give up and enlarge your search method...
Agreed. I found and purchased one last month, after spending a significant amount of time searching for one locally/online. It was definitely worth the time and effort I spent looking for it. I paired it with a Fryette 2/50/2, Avatar G212 Contemporary (configured with a pair of 8ohm Celestion Vintage 30s and multi-jack back plate) and a Fractal FM9 Turbo for effects/MIDI control. I pretty much have my dream rig now and could not be happier.

wlfers

Reaction score
I used to run a 530, then a 570 into a VHT 2/90/2. Beast tone and everyone always asked what my amp was.

Had an issue with some Engl gear, and promptly discovered that Engl customer support was nonexistent in America at the time (has that changed?). So I went AxeFx and was able to dial similar/better tone in minutes. If you like rack tube gear, the 570 sounds fantastic.

lewis

Reaction score
I'm obsessed with longterm getting another E530 because I regret selling mine.

This looks like a steroid version. What an absolute BEAST!
Bet this thing sounds mental.

boltzthrower

Reaction score
I used to run a 530, then a 570 into a VHT 2/90/2. Beast tone and everyone always asked what my amp was.

Had an issue with some Engl gear, and promptly discovered that Engl customer support was nonexistent in America at the time (has that changed?). So I went AxeFx and was able to dial similar/better tone in minutes. If you like rack tube gear, the 570 sounds fantastic.
Ha! Exact same story here, 2/90/2, E530 replaced by E570 then replaced by Axe FX. Been rockin’ the 2/90/2 & Axe FX for 10 years now and nothing has been able to dethrone it, not even the FM3.

boltzthrower

Reaction score
I'm obsessed with longterm getting another E530 because I regret selling mine.

This looks like a steroid version. What an absolute BEAST!
Bet this thing sounds mental.
Compared to the E570, the E530 is more loose/saggy/vintage sound/feel. And the E570 clean channel is better.

Latest posts

')