Engl Amps owners thread :D

Reaction score
To be honest, I used a Decimator with my Powerball and it was perfect. I know they did revisions on the noise gate but ISP has come out with some neat stuff too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
I don't feel any need for a noise gate with my Invader 100 or Savage SE. The one built in the Invader is not that good anyway.

vividox

Reaction score
To be honest, I used a Decimator with my Powerball and it was perfect. I know they did revisions on the noise gate but ISP has come out with some neat stuff too.

Yeah, I mean, I would assume that an external noise gate with all its various options is probably a better noise gate than a built in version with one knob. But the built in version is ridiculously convenient, it helps conserve pedal board space, and to be fair, I don't really play a style that demands the best noise gate on the planet.

Also, I really prefer the updated look of the Fireball 100W / Powerball II / Special Edition / Invader to that of the Savage / Fireball 60W / Richie Blackmore Sig. Yes, I realize how little this matters when guitar tone is one the line. :lol:

vividox

Reaction score
Mostly, my wife and I are buying our first house in a few months, and after furnishing it and taking care of some of the things that came back on the inspection, I have little hope of buying a new amp in the next year or so. So I figure if I'm holding out that long anyway, might as well look forward to the Savage II.

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
Boink
nl7ub7.jpg

Cobhc221

Reaction score

Cobhc221

Reaction score
I threw a question at ENGL this weekend, just got a response, and thought I'd share:

Me: I've got an ENGL Fireball 100W that I've loved for the better part of 7 years now. I'm looking to upgrade at some point in the future and really like everything I've heard from the Savage. However, some of the new updates (featured on the Fireball 100W and Powerball II) are lacking on the Savage (noisegate, updated look of the front, etc). I was wondering if you guys had any plans to give the Savage an update in the near future?

ENGL: thank you for your e-mail and for playing our amps! I can totally understand that you miss our latest amp features like the noise gate on the Savage 120. We already thought about updating this amp but there are a few other things that we need to work on before we can start this project. I think that we will not find enough time to work on this in 2016. But there definitely is the plan to change the Savage in the future. I hope this will help you!

So, [extremely hopeful voice] 2-3 years down the road? [/ehv]

im actually looking forward to this

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
So, I have a lot of small tweaking planned in order to get the fully saturated tones I have in my head. For example I am replacing my two Eminence Legend loaded Krank 1x12's with Mesa mini-rectifier cabinets and the SD distortion pick ups in my DK-7Q with Lundgren M7's. Currently I have a TS-9dx in the front of the amp and it just isn't pumping my nads. I saw a demo with an MXR 10 band eq in the effects loop and was floored. Anyone else use this? It seems like the tweek that would have the greatest immediate positive impact.

Thanks,
Ted

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score
Here's mine, sounds killer. Going the Kemper route now though, so this is all for sale.

20070930498_c162990c07_b.jpg

vick1000

Reaction score
Just bought a E530 to go with my GSP1101 and Mesa 2:50. Some people online are recommending a tube swap out of the box. Does anyone know if that makes a big improvment?

vick1000

Reaction score
So got the E530 today. Put it in the loop of my GSP1101, and I am getting some serious whining noise with any decent amount of gain (lead gain at noon/hi gain enabled). The gate clamps on it slowly too.

The E530 has some serious physical noise too (not from the speakers), not 60hz hum either, reminds me of loose choke windings, very strange. I will have to mess with things some more, and eliminate gear to see what's what.

EDIT: OK, the E530 and 2:50 by them selves do not have the high pitched whine in the signal. There is still some preamp noise, but it's typical high gain noise, and a gate out front squashes it easily. Using the GSP in the E530 FX loop also has no added noise, but the GSP gate does squat for some reason, and of course you get no pre-preamp FX.

Considering swapping the GSP for a Pod HD Pro X, but I do love the sims on the GSP.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
So, I have a lot of small tweaking planned in order to get the fully saturated tones I have in my head. For example I am replacing my two Eminence Legend loaded Krank 1x12's with Mesa mini-rectifier cabinets and the SD distortion pick ups in my DK-7Q with Lundgren M7's. Currently I have a TS-9dx in the front of the amp and it just isn't pumping my nads. I saw a demo with an MXR 10 band eq in the effects loop and was floored. Anyone else use this? It seems like the tweek that would have the greatest immediate positive impact.

Thanks,
Ted

I'm using MXR 10 band eq with my ENGLs. It is a very powerful tool but I prefer to use it as a spice - I'm trying to tweak the amp as good as it gets and then fine tune the sound with MXR.
So basically I use it to get rid of some nasty high frequencies that make the sound shrill.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
I'm using MXR 10 band eq with my ENGLs. It is a very powerful tool but I prefer to use it as a spice - I'm trying to tweak the amp as good as it gets and then fine tune the sound with MXR.
So basically I use it to get rid of some nasty high frequencies that make the sound shrill.

Thanks! It seems to allow for a "thicker" sound in the video, without adding muddiness.

optiman

Reaction score
My Ironball makes a clicking noise when I turn it on, like if the standby was switched on. I don't think this is normal when an amp is turned on (powered up). Any Help?:mad:

TedintheShed

Reaction score
My Ironball makes a clicking noise when I turn it on, like if the standby was switched on. I don't think this is normal when an amp is turned on (powered up). Any Help?:mad:

Where do you hear it? In the speaker? From the head? ;when flipping on the power switch? Standby?

optiman

Reaction score
Hey Ted, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes Its coming from the speaker. I also can't get any clean sound out of it. After a few minutes it just starts making all kinds of noises and hisses like it's pissed at me for turning it on.
The click is the amp turning on, the noise comes out through the speaker, I have never heard any tube amp do this. My bad for not making that clear.

I need to get into the tubes but I have never done that before, looked in the manual and on the Engl site, no luck. Emailed support three days ago and still patiently waiting. If you have any tips as for doing this or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Help.....:shred:

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
Hey Ted, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes Its coming from the speaker. I also can't get any clean sound out of it. After a few minutes it just starts making all kinds of noises and hisses like it's pissed at me for turning it on.
The click is the amp turning on, the noise comes out through the speaker, I have never heard any tube amp do this. My bad for not making that clear.

I need to get into the tubes but I have never done that before, looked in the manual and on the Engl site, no luck. Emailed support three days ago and still patiently waiting. If you have any tips as for doing this or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Help.....:shred:

It looks like faulty power tube.

angl2k

Reaction score

Can you post your MXR settings? I tried one in the loop of my Thunder but it only seems to add noise and not really shape the sound. Maybe I'm using the input gain and volume sliders wrong?

')