Engl Amps owners thread :D

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
:agreed:
I really think it's capable of more modern metal as well , believe me we're not 80's style . :scratch: I had a major problem with the lead channel cutting in and out when I took it to rehearsal in my rack last week . It went from full output to almost nothing even while cranked , I had to switch over to the 1101 which I have to say after hearing the 520 at full volume is somewhat of a let down , At that point I was ready to stop using the 1110 because of how clear and brutal the 520 and 920 sounds with what else...that Engl distortion , such clarity , definition and depth which blew my band away and confused my singer who was thrown because everything was so clear LOL . I took it home , started to change tubes , especially V4 . Clean/rhym channels were unaffected by the problem . I went through nearly a week of testing and playing with the lead channel which worked for short periods of time before low OP no distortion happens again . I think there's probably something like a simple short somewhere because when the lead chann. works , it's full OP , then it cuts out . This is really a disappointment , I have a gig tonight and I really wanted to use it . So far know one in the area wants to even look at it for me much less mod it . My tech who worked on the Peavey for me is no longer working so I may have to send it back , I shouldn't have to pay to repair something I just bought . It's killing me because the 520 is so flexible , more so than I first thought and according to my friend , the clean's better than the 530 which has fewer options . Any suggestions ? I called Voodoo mods , they don't do it ?

That's one of the mods I considered doing , that's also one of the mods I had done to my Peavey Rockmaster pre amp , had the crunch chann. pot changed to 500k , plate voltage to 320v . Hope I can resolve this because it sounds to damn good , it was like sex with a very hot girl and then ....nothing ..........damn . I do very much appreciate your advice ! :cool:

Bummer... I'm glad you dig it when it's working. It probably is a loose connection or some bad solder. Hard to say. I'm no technician.

Btw only first three preamp tubes have an effect on the sound. V4 is buffering the loop.
... and I prefer clean channel of E520 to E530, too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
hey guys! i hope you're all doing well!

who here has heard about engl making an update to the engl Savage 120? i've heard that they plan on doing something to the amp but are very hush hush about what it will be.

deets anyone?

vividox

Reaction score
hey guys! i hope you're all doing well!

who here has heard about engl making an update to the engl Savage 120? i've heard that they plan on doing something to the amp but are very hush hush about what it will be.

deets anyone?
I sent them an e-mail about this a few months ago:
I threw a question at ENGL this weekend, just got a response, and thought I'd share:

Me: I've got an ENGL Fireball 100W that I've loved for the better part of 7 years now. I'm looking to upgrade at some point in the future and really like everything I've heard from the Savage. However, some of the new updates (featured on the Fireball 100W and Powerball II) are lacking on the Savage (noisegate, updated look of the front, etc). I was wondering if you guys had any plans to give the Savage an update in the near future?

ENGL: thank you for your e-mail and for playing our amps! I can totally understand that you miss our latest amp features like the noise gate on the Savage 120. We already thought about updating this amp but there are a few other things that we need to work on before we can start this project. I think that we will not find enough time to work on this in 2016. But there definitely is the plan to change the Savage in the future. I hope this will help you!

So, [extremely hopeful voice] 2-3 years down the road? [/ehv]

angl2k

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls,

I've been eyeballing a Two Notes Torpedo Live for use with my Savage. But the Torpedo can only handle 100 watt RMS and the Savage is 120 watt according to Engl.

But looking at the power tubes of the Savage it has 2 6550 tubes.
So taking the plate dissipation of a 6550 which seems around 35-42 watt, shouldn't the output be around 70-82 watt? Or are my calculations wrong? Any help is appreciated!

Jayd41

Reaction score
So channel 2 of the Invader II can cover pretty much all the ground.

I made a video of how versatile this channel is...

The best part is... as great as this channel is... there are 3 other amazing channels on this amp!

If I could only have 1 amp the rest of my life... this would be it, no question.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls,

I've been eyeballing a Two Notes Torpedo Live for use with my Savage. But the Torpedo can only handle 100 watt RMS and the Savage is 120 watt according to Engl.

But looking at the power tubes of the Savage it has 2 6550 tubes.
So taking the plate dissipation of a 6550 which seems around 35-42 watt, shouldn't the output be around 70-82 watt? Or are my calculations wrong? Any help is appreciated!

they mostly round them off at times. most savages come with KT88's

Cobhc221

Reaction score
So channel 2 of the Invader II can cover pretty much all the ground.

I made a video of how versatile this channel is...

The best part is... as great as this channel is... there are 3 other amazing channels on this amp!

If I could only have 1 amp the rest of my life... this would be it, no question.

even though i own an engl invader 150......i kinda want this now...

sonofabias

Reaction score
even though i own an engl invader 150......i kinda want this now...

:cool: I do as well , after giging with a 150 for several years I cannot help but be intrigued by the thought of how it could be more flexible . I hope Sam Ash has one locally I could try just to compare . :agreed:

Cobhc221

Reaction score
hey guys. i just saw an Engl E580 used and im kinda interested in it. any details on it?

Zeriton

Reaction score
Got myself an EVH 5153 100W the other day (I'll get the ENGL part don't worry :p)

Own an ENGL Invader 100 anyway. The EVH 5153 I love the sound of. Just a very different sound/flavour is all.

The thing that surprised me the most comparing the two though was the clean channel. Everyone always hypes up the 5153's clean channel as being sparkly clean and Fenderish. Tweaking it for a few days now, I still think the Invader comes out far on top. Gives me either warm cleans, or sparkly Fender cleans with the bright engaged.

In short: still love my Invader :D

Cobhc221

Reaction score
Got myself an EVH 5153 100W the other day (I'll get the ENGL part don't worry :p)

Own an ENGL Invader 100 anyway. The EVH 5153 I love the sound of. Just a very different sound/flavour is all.

The thing that surprised me the most comparing the two though was the clean channel. Everyone always hypes up the 5153's clean channel as being sparkly clean and Fenderish. Tweaking it for a few days now, I still think the Invader comes out far on top. Gives me either warm cleans, or sparkly Fender cleans with the bright engaged.

In short: still love my Invader :D

when i was looking for an amp to buy, the EVH was in my sights for a long time. but when i saw a used Invader 150 for a stellar price....i couldn't pass it up. everything about it trumps the EVH in every way possible.

lewis

Reaction score
used my ENGL E530 preamp live last night for the first time (with a Torpedo CAB) going direct to the PA.

Sounded awesome!!. Used an 8 string. This tube preamp is amazing value for money

Cobhc221

Reaction score
used my ENGL E530 preamp live last night for the first time (with a Torpedo CAB) going direct to the PA.

Sounded awesome!!. Used an 8 string. This tube preamp is amazing value for money

i almost bought one of those for $300 :D

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to add MIDI switching to my ENGL Ironball. Normal switching consists of 4 functions:

clean/lead channel
Lead channel gain boost boost on/Off
Master Volume Boost on/off
Reverb on/off

These functions are paired off and controlled with a two button foot switch that is connected with a TRS 1/4" male jack.

Now, if I am reading this right (as I have no experience with MIDI) the ENGL Z-11 MIDI switcher 1/4" input jacks are set up as TRS input as well, thus each input controls two functions listed above. I have found no other MIDI swicthers set up with 1/4" TRS inputs.

So the Z-11 isn't the easiest or cheapest thing to obtain, so I was wondering if I purchased a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher and used an insert cable to hook the 4 channels channels of the Voodoo labs switcher using the four 1/4" TS and the Ironball switching functions using two 1/4" TRS would this work to switch the functions?

Thanks,
Ted

')