Engl Amps owners thread :D

Stooly

Reaction score
Smolski Sig is a modified Powerball II with out the bass boosts on the lead channels, and supposedly more gain. However they both sounded very similar to me. Much more alike than different. A cool amp.

Well, I went into Guitar Center to try out the used Smolski in a sound booth. After some tweaking, I was able to get it in the zone. The noise gate actually worked which was surprising.
One thing I noticed was the note clarity was a little smeared and the bass hard to dial in tight. Even after a lot of knob tweaking. That may be able to be dimed in with tube swaps, who knows. I think I still prefer my Powerball v.1, but overall a pretty cool amp.
Afterward, I plugged into a 5150 block letter that they had sitting in there and I actually preferred it. Tighter low end and clearer on the notes for a fraction of the cost.
I'll keep searching for a Savage, if I can find one for a deal, if not I may try a Peavey Invective.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
I know there are many amps out there, but of the ones I've tried/owned thus far, the Savage 120 has been unbeatable. I also have a FB100 and absolutely love it, but the Savage is MUCH tighter and has WAY more attack when plugging straight in.

I picked up my Savage used and its a 2014 model with the larger OT which I have never compared to an older model before they tweaked, but this thing will flat out rip your face off. Its an extremely vicious sounding amp for any metal but especially death and thrash:evil: Cops some REALLY nice classic rock tones too :yesway: Very versatile amp.

I hope the new Savage is not too different from its predecessor should they actually develop/release one.

mitou

Reaction score
Another happy Savage owner here. Killer amps. I used to have a Diezel Herbert and quite honestly I prefer the Savage. My first amp was a Powerball and I liked that one a lot too.

2ypc8dd.jpg

Stooly

Reaction score
Just paid for a used Savage so it should be here in a few days. I can't wait to hear this thing roar...

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Another happy Savage owner here. Killer amps. I used to have a Diezel Herbert and quite honestly I prefer the Savage. My first amp was a Powerball and I liked that one a lot too.

2ypc8dd.jpg

I actually bought a Herbert MKI at the same time I did the Savage 120 and the Savage stayed while the Herbert left. Not that the Herbert was a bad amp, I just thought the Savage was much much tighter, more raw sounding, and every bit as versatile as the Herbert.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
I love my Ironball, but want a thicker tone. Looking to go full size. If I stick with Engl should I go Invader or Savage?

oracles

Reaction score
I love my Ironball, but want a thicker tone. Looking to go full size. If I stick with Engl should I go Invader or Savage?

If all you're doing is all out high gain, Savage.

If cleans and versatility is important to you while still retaining the capability to do high gain really well, Invader.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
If all you're doing is all out high gain, Savage.

If cleans and versatility is important to you while still retaining the capability to do high gain really well, Invader.

I've never played an Invader (would love to give an Invader 100 a go) but the Savage is also extremely versatile IMHO. Amazing high gain for any metal period, decent cleans, and phenomenal classic rock tones on Ch 1 crunch.

blackzar84

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just got my beautiful metal monster, a Powerball first version.
I would like to control the head via footswitch but I don't really know what can be controlled via pedal and what can only be clicked from the front panel.

Now I ain't gonna pay 180 bucks for the Z5 so I was considering 2 of these stereo double switch footswitches from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/nl/lead_foot_fs2.htm

Each one of them would go to one of the jack inputs on the back of the head, but I am not sure of what I would be controlling actually.

Can anybody share some wisdom ?

blackzar84

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I would like to control the head via footswitch but I don't really know what can be controlled via pedal and what can only be clicked from the front panel.

Now I ain't gonna pay 180 bucks for the Z5 so I was considering 2 of these stereo double switch footswitches from Thomann:

Each one of them would go to one of the jack inputs on the back of the head, but I am not sure of what I would be controlling actually.

By the way, how do you guys post pictures?

oracles

Reaction score
I've never played an Invader (would love to give an Invader 100 a go) but the Savage is also extremely versatile IMHO. Amazing high gain for any metal period, decent cleans, and phenomenal classic rock tones on Ch 1 crunch.

The Savage is definitely a versatile amp, however not in the same way the Invader is. The Savage cleans are as you described "decent" but the Invader cleans are nothing short of beautiful. The Invader isn't as gained out as the Savage is, but it's definitely still capable of doing the high gain thing, just with a different flavour than the Savage. Not better or worse, just different. I love both amps, but for versatility, I'll always go Invader over Savage.

blackzar84

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Chiba666

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive got a switching pedal coming from Bright onion for my Rockmaster. 2 x z4s were required at over £120. £55 for a custom build, check them out

')