Engl Amps owners thread :D

Rawkmann

Reaction score
+1 to all of this. Engls don't excel at classic rock tones. The Artist or the Retro are the best of the pack... but I'd still recommend almost any Marshall or Bogner over them for classic rock.

My cousin and I covered that ground pretty well with them when we were doing mainly covers:

I was using an Ironball and he used a Screamer combo for that gig. Gotta crank those mids!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
+1 to all of this. Engls don't excel at classic rock tones. The Artist or the Retro are the best of the pack... but I'd still recommend almost any Marshall or Bogner over them for classic rock.

I think whats wrong is that often times when people use the Crunch channel on the invader, they aren't setting it right for rock tones. when i changed out my preamp tubes in my invader for Tung-sols, everything became usable and even the 4th channel (which i'm still working around with for solos) can be tweaked to the user's needs.

I was able to get plexi tones from channel two by backing off the gain all the way to about 3 and just boosting the volume with the Master B volume engaged on the invader.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
My cousin and I covered that ground pretty well with them when we were doing mainly covers:

I was using an Ironball and he used a Screamer combo for that gig. Gotta crank those mids!

Has nothing to do with mids as much as the overall voicing of the amp. A Marshall 2203 or Bogner XTC will do it far better, easier, and nail the the tone.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I think whats wrong is that often times when people use the Crunch channel on the invader, they aren't setting it right for rock tones. when i changed out my preamp tubes in my invader for Tung-sols, everything became usable and even the 4th channel (which i'm still working around with for solos) can be tweaked to the user's needs.

I was able to get plexi tones from channel two by backing off the gain all the way to about 3 and just boosting the volume with the Master B volume engaged on the invader.

As someone who owns an original 1967 SLP... and other Marshalls... I have to disagree. Those tones aren't in the Invader. Regardless of settings or tubes.

I love my SE EL34... and it can cover a lot of ground... but authentic plexi or classic rock tones are not it's forte. Great cleans though.

lewis

Reaction score
if dudes are arguing about if it can or cannot do plexi tones, just use its clean channel and buy a golden plexi pedal or something to run infront of it.
There we go, plexi tones haha

Seems abit of a non issue in this day and age. Its not like you need to go and buy a totally different, expensive amp anymore.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with mids as much as the overall voicing of the amp. A Marshall 2203 or Bogner XTC will do it far better, easier, and nail the the tone.

I suppose it's just a matter of if You want to Sound EXACTLY like a classic rock record or if You want a more 'unique' classic sound. Plenty of the older rock guys do just fine with Engls including a particular guy named Ritchie Blackmore. If someone asked for an amp that could cover tons of ground and still manage to get a pretty damn good 70s or 80s rock sound I'd absolutely recommend Engl. Which I think is more along the lines of what the guy who started this conversation was wanting. Also I wouldn't bother with something like a Fireball or Powerball, but from what I've heard or personally owned the Screamer, Artist, Blackmore, Retro, even their new Rockmaster would do a great job.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I often hear people say X is a versatile amp, or Y can get a good classic rock tone. It's funny because it's we're not talking in absolutes - we should be talking with respect to the competition. An amp is versatile not just because it has 3-4 channels and can do a clean/crunch/lead/metal tone, but if the tones are more diverse than say some average versatility offered by comparable amps.

Same to be said for getting "a good tone for X" -- can you play some 60s-contemporary cover set with an Engl Invader? Absolutely. But all of your 60s-80s sounds would be a lot closer to the originals if you're using a Bogner/Diezel/Elmwood/Friedman/Soldano/Orange, and probably even the right Peavey.

I think the channel switcher Engls occupy the same sort of niche as VHT/Fryette Sig-X or Ultra-lead. They run the gamut of tones, but a Sig-X just does not sound like a convincing mid-gain classic rock Marshall. There's a just some voicing inherent in the amp that is its own thing. You can get a lot closer with the aforementioned high gain amps (or the other Engls mentioned previously)

narad

Reaction score
I love my SE EL34... and it can cover a lot of ground... but authentic plexi or classic rock tones are not it's forte. Great cleans though.

Exactly how I feel. A bit closer now that I have the SE EL34 instead of the 6L6, but still way off.

lewis

Reaction score
Exactly how I feel. A bit closer now that I have the SE EL34 instead of the 6L6, but still way off.
have you tried plexi pedal into clean channel?

these are peanuts at £40 -

more extensive review -

these sound great for the money imo

Last edited:

narad

Reaction score
have you tried plexi pedal into clean channel?

these are peanuts at £40 -

I don't like the feel of most (if not all) plexi pedals, but you'd be right to think that the tone in the video is much closer to an actual Marshall than my Engl SE all dialed in for it. My Elmwoods are mostly Marshalls, and I have a Matamp that has a plexi mode, so I'm not really hurting in that regard :)

lewis

Reaction score
I don't like the feel of most (if not all) plexi pedals, but you'd be right to think that the tone in the video is much closer to an actual Marshall than my Engl SE all dialed in for it. My Elmwoods are mostly Marshalls, and I have a Matamp that has a plexi mode, so I'm not really hurting in that regard :)

that elmwood looks amazing and seems to nail that plexi sound from that vid :)
The darkness riff was nostalgic and yeah tonally it nails it

narad

Reaction score
that elmwood looks amazing and seems to nail that plexi sound from that vid :)
The darkness riff was nostalgic and yeah tonally it nails it

Yea, it's voiced a bit heavier in the low mids than a Marshall, but seems EQ'able to something pretty close. I'm hoping to get mine modified by Friedman to be a bit tighter and have some optional heavy saturation.

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score

lewis

Reaction score

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
')