Engl Amps owners thread :D

Sumsar

Reaction score
On the Engl E530 for metal: I have one (and a powerball) and use it for death and black metal. Now I did at some point thought that it didn't have quite enough gain but I resently got a mxr gt-od (garden variety tube screamer) and it gives it the last 10% that it is not born with.
It is great for home practicing but live I have had troubles with it, because you set the gain around 8 or 10 (out of 10), you can get quite a lot of feedback.

So yes it can do very modern tones, especially with a TS, and it can be had very cheap, especially used, compared to other Engl amps. However it is not the best preamp for the job.

Edit: Also for comparison with the Powerball I: On the e530 I set the gain to max most of the time, on the Powerball I rarely set it above 3 or 4 (as in ~10 o'clock) and get about the same tone / amount of gain. Just to highlight what I mean by "lacking gain".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jorock

Reaction score
This thread wins! Owner of an invader 100 but there's already tons of pics here of it lol

Mmcgrouty

Reaction score
I've had my Ritchie Blackmore for a week now, it's everything I was hoping it would be. Great amp.

chopeth85

Reaction score
i ve got a savage SE and a Diezel Herbert and if i'd had to have only one amp, i wouldnt know which one would be the best...

the savage SE has one of the best lead channels ive ever tried...its full, thick, organic but uber tight and aggresive..even at uber low volume you can set it to play bands like arch enemy with any kind of boost.

the clean channel ( pre amp mode ) is deep and rich, really musical with pedals like chorus, reverbs or delays

the crunch channel is really musical and beautiful, it was a great surprise ! with the proper eq you can get great hard rock and classic rock stuff

the lead one is tight and dry , perfect for extremely fast stacatto riffs and the lead 2 is magical as i have said previously , if you like engl trademark sound.

hope that it helps !

Konstantine

Reaction score
My current, simple but satisfying setup. The e530 really shines with this older mesa unit.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Looks like i havent posted my fairly new toy here...am i too greedy to also want an Invader???

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
broootal ://.....i hope its just a fuse man
It was a faulty powertube. So the amp`s got a new set. Now it`s roaring again.
The only thing that bothers me is that the tech could not fix the reverb. He says, it`s not the reverb unit itself but somewhere on the board but was not able to identify where. :scratch:

Cobhc221

Reaction score
It was a faulty powertube. So the amp`s got a new set. Now it`s roaring again.
The only thing that bothers me is that the tech could not fix the reverb. He says, it`s not the reverb unit itself but somewhere on the board but was not able to identify where. :scratch:

balls.....might have to ship it to ENGL to get fixed maybe?

BrutalExorcist

Chronic Chugger
Reaction score
Engl practice rig of doom. I got the PA speaker for free in a deal long ago, and it's been an office chair since. Decided to try the stereo cable trick with the power amp and set the switch on the back to "routed to headphones or hifi cab". Sound is much better than I expected and sounds amazingly huge for practice.

Attachments

• 11986440_954002270244_8869725380208090497_n.jpg
    11986440_954002270244_8869725380208090497_n.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32

Zeriton

Reaction score
NAD! The Invader came today (after a long wait for a rubbish Yodel service). Haven't had any time to play it or take more pics, so more to follow!

WHrK9Ir.jpg

Any suggestions for settings? Usually I just do it by ear but there's so many options!

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
NAD! The Invader came today (after a long wait for a rubbish Yodel service). Haven't had any time to play it or take more pics, so more to follow!

WHrK9Ir.jpg

Any suggestions for settings? Usually I just do it by ear but there's so many options!

Settings?? Depends on what channel and what your into. Channel 3 I always keep the mid's maxed out though, because it's pretty scooped sounding and if you like more mid's you have to keep it dimed on that channel. If your on channel 2 you don't have to do that, because it's more Marshall like and plenty of Mids, but not as modern. I also use the bright setting on channel 3 and 4. Bass on those I never have more than half way. Usually less with plenty of Mids and treble at like 1 or 2 o'clock. Presence and Depth depends on your taste. Usually never keep the Depth more than like 10 or 11 o'clock. Presence usually up more than half way. I have KT77's in mine though.

Carvinkook

Reaction score
I'm baaackk! Haha, there's just something about these Engls!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 31

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
Settings?? Depends on what channel and what your into. Channel 3 I always keep the mid's maxed out though, because it's pretty scooped sounding and if you like more mid's you have to keep it dimed on that channel. If your on channel 2 you don't have to do that, because it's more Marshall like and plenty of Mids, but not as modern. I also use the bright setting on channel 3 and 4. Bass on those I never have more than half way. Usually less with plenty of Mids and treble at like 1 or 2 o'clock. Presence and Depth depends on your taste. Usually never keep the Depth more than like 10 or 11 o'clock. Presence usually up more than half way. I have KT77's in mine though.
Interesting... I`d like to know also other links in the chain - guitar, pickup and cab. My CH3 settings are different. Bass not more than 9 or 8 o`clock (depends if I`m boosting with TS or not), Mids 4 o`clock and Treble depends on Channel and Master Volume. If I play loud (Channel volume between 9 and 10 o`clock and Master between 1 and 2 o`clock), I keep my Treble (and Presence) really low. Like completely all the way down. Otherwise it`s too trebly. At practice settings (Channel volume slightly lower than 9 o`clock and Master at 9 o`clock or lower), I raise Treble to 9 o`clock and Presence between 10 o`clock and noon depending on guitar. Depth is usually at 8 o`clock. This amp has insane amount of low end and with higher Bass and Depth settings it`s getting boomy.
Bright switch depends on the guitar. It`s sounds better on with some and off with the others. I put JAN 5751 in V1 to keep CH1 clean longer and have more usable gain range for other channels. Hi gain button is always off (rarely used for CH2). I use JJ E34L in powersection right now but I want to try TungSol`s EL34 next.

Other channels:
CH1: Gain 9 o`clock, Bass 9 o`clock, Mids 10 o`clock, Treble 11-12 o`clock, Volume 12 o`clock, Bright on
CH2: Gain 8 o`clock, Bass 10 o`clock, Mids 12 o`clock, Treble depends on situation, Volume 10 o`clock, Bright off - I`m using this channel almost exclusively for rock.
CH4: Gain 2 o`clock, Bass 11 o`clock, Mids 11-12 o`clock, Treble 9 o`clock (or lower depending on volume), Master 9 o`clock or slightly lower, Bright usually on.

Guitars:
Jackson SL1 - Painkiller in the bridge, SD HotRails in the neck and SD Classic Stack in the middle - B standard (at the moment)
Jackson SL3 - SD SH-5 in the bridge, neck and middle the same as SL1 - Eb standard
LTD M-400 - EMG 85 in the bridge and EMG 81 in the neck - drop C
Jack & Danny - Chinese El-cheapo 7-string with no name pickups and unknown wood (but it sounds good, so :hbang:) - B standard
Cab: Zilla 2x12 Fatboy with V30

Zeriton

Reaction score

Yeah I have similar settings. As mentioned from another thread:

Channel 3, hi gain ON, bright ON
Gain - 9:00
bass - 10:00
Mid - 5:30 (maxed)
Treble - 2:10
Volume - 12:30
Presence - 2:00
Depth - 9:10

I quite like this tone. It's definitely usable for the type of thing I play (progressive death metal I guess)

')