Engl Amps owners thread :D

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Well, congratulations all you. Y'all just shamelessly and remorselessly coerced me into................ rejoing the Engl family. :hbang:

So yeah, my holdings in Engl property are quite humble compared to many of your offerings, but hey, I'm happy to be back!

Pics!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalExorcist

Chronic Chugger
Reaction score
...or it didn't happen, got it! :-D

10857927_869748086304_1572953192534490664_n.jpg

The space heater "cabinet" underneath must mean I'm auditioning for Rush, all I can figure. :flame:

j/k, trying to get more frugal with my equipment as I migrate more toward home studio playing. Rather than a head and a load box across the room as I was doing before, simplifying to just a good preamp within arm's reach is a lot more convenient and gets hidden variables out of my mind. Next investments studio monitors, DAW, plugins, and other basics to get my studio going.

sonofabias

Reaction score
:rolleyes:
Well, congratulations all you. Y'all just shamelessly and remorselessly coerced me into................ rejoing the Engl family. :hbang:

Little backstory, I got an Engl e530 earlier in the year and was enthused to finally have my dream preamp. Then I got into a band again, and suddenly I needed live gear and thus needed to trade in the e530 (cue tragic, sad music). Then life happened, had to 'retire' from playing live, and I started selling off the live gear I acquired. Lo and behold, the store I traded it into had it for the right price, I traded in all the live gear and miscellaneous gear I had acquired, and my e530 is back in my possession.

So yeah, my holdings in Engl property are quite humble compared to many of your offerings, but hey, I'm happy to be back!

:agreed:Glad to hear it , Happy Holidays

Cobhc221

Reaction score
...or it didn't happen, got it! :-D

View attachment 44046

The space heater "cabinet" underneath must mean I'm auditioning for Rush, all I can figure. :flame:

j/k, trying to get more frugal with my equipment as I migrate more toward home studio playing. Rather than a head and a load box across the room as I was doing before, simplifying to just a good preamp within arm's reach is a lot more convenient and gets hidden variables out of my mind. Next investments studio monitors, DAW, plugins, and other basics to get my studio going.

thats sick man! welcome to the Engl Familia! now GO and shred!

oracles

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Reaction score
The newly acquired, bigger brother to my Ironball:
image_zps951d8524.jpg

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
holy shit.....i had a chance to buy a Savage SE and missed my shot at it....How is that thing?

It`s a great amp. Different from Invader.
Cleans are really nice. Not as warm as Invader`s but still nice. A little bit of chorus and delay together with on-board reverb and I`m set. The loop is not as transparent as Invader`s but the difference is really really small. It stays clean longer than Invader.

Crunch 1 is clear and low/mid-gain tones are surprisingly nice. I didn`t expect them to be that good. Quite touch-sensitive and very dynamic. It cleans up well when you play softly and you can bring the roar just by hitting the strings harder.
Invader is more hairy, dirtier on Ch2.

Crunch 2 is your heavy crunch rhythm channel. Quite open sounding, a bit bassy with looser low-end than the Lead channel. With rough/smooth button engaged you can get nice lead tones. Actually I use it for leads with OD in front (drive 0, level somewhere between 10 and 11 o`clock) to get more liquid tone and to add a little bit of saturation/sustain with the touch of on-board reverb.

Lead channel - very tight and articulate even with too much gain. No need for boost even for 7 string guitar and OD does not make very difference. The fastest riffs or staccato rhythm are possible without becoming mushy or muddy. It already feels like boosted. More mids, bass is rolled off a bit and the tone is more compact/compressed. But not in a bad way. You may have a feeling that the tone is not fat or thick enough but it`s just more concentrated, focused. For metal rhythm I prefer this to Invader. :hbang:

You need to find the right balance between the gain knobs because Crunch 1 gain is linked with Clean gain and Lead gain is linked with Crunch 2 gain. So the higher the gain is set on Clean/Crunch 2 channel, the more gain you can get for Crunch 1/Lead channel. But in case of Crunch 2 + Lead it`s not just gain. Their gains have a bit different characters that you need to mix.

Master/Channel volumes are really great. They have a very large range and the sound is not going from mouse farts to deafening volumes in 1 mm. Actually this is very bedroom-friendly amp. More than Invader. I can practise even after 10pm with my kids sleeping in the next room and the sound is pretty good.

The only thing I wish this amp had is footswitchable loop. There are 2 loops there (one for Clean+Crunch 1 and one for Crunch2+Lead or you can assign one loop as a master loop that can be used by all channels) but they are not footswitchable. It is manageable but it would be easier that way.

With my current setup if I had to choose between Savage SE and Invader for a gig where I couldn`t use any pedals, I`d go for Savage SE.

jonsick

Reaction score
I used to have an Engl Powerball.

I sold it ridiculously cheap during times of strife on HC. I later got hold of a TSL100. I then realized how much I hated the Powerball.

On its own, it sounds fantastic. Put it with a band, especially with another guitarist, and you may as well not show up. It's inaudible. It just disappears into any mix at all.

And I'm not the only Powerball user to have similar complaints.

I'm back to Marshall and Peavey now and doubt very much that I'll move.

Zeriton

Reaction score
I used to have an Engl Powerball.

I sold it ridiculously cheap during times of strife on HC. I later got hold of a TSL100. I then realized how much I hated the Powerball.

On its own, it sounds fantastic. Put it with a band, especially with another guitarist, and you may as well not show up. It's inaudible. It just disappears into any mix at all.

And I'm not the only Powerball user to have similar complaints.

I'm back to Marshall and Peavey now and doubt very much that I'll move.

Did you have a Framus Cobra cab with that Powerball? I may have been the guy that bought your Powerball :p

Funnily enough, I sold a TSL100. Totally hear what you're saying on the Powerball getting lost though. I have the mid-open control on 10 and tend to just use the focused channel.

I've also got a 6505 and am torn between them. The Powerball sounds better clean and for leads, and the 6505 just kills for rhythm guitar. Sometimes I find the 6505 a bit too hairy/sharp though.

Might be time to try a 5153...

jonsick

Reaction score
Arrr... I can't remember. I sold some fancy cabs, I'm fairly sure one of them was a Framus cabinet. I only have a solitary remaining 1960AV cabinet but it does the job quite well. Speaking of which, need to google/post about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I have a 6505+ too. Personally I preferred the 6505. I use the 6505+ for anything downtuned, but infinitely prefer my TSL100 for almost everything else. That amp just works for me!

The thing with the 5153 is that on its own it is pretty uninspiring. With a band, it kicks seven shades of s**t out of anything.

I was in the market for a 5153 this year but Marshall are coming out with the Jubillee Reissue series. So I'm completely torn and can't really afford both :(

Zeriton

Reaction score
Arrr... I can't remember. I sold some fancy cabs, I'm fairly sure one of them was a Framus cabinet. I only have a solitary remaining 1960AV cabinet but it does the job quite well. Speaking of which, need to google/post about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I have a 6505+ too. Personally I preferred the 6505. I use the 6505+ for anything downtuned, but infinitely prefer my TSL100 for almost everything else. That amp just works for me!

The thing with the 5153 is that on its own it is pretty uninspiring. With a band, it kicks seven shades of s**t out of anything.

I was in the market for a 5153 this year but Marshall are coming out with the Jubillee Reissue series. So I'm completely torn and can't really afford both :(

When I tried the 50w 5153 in a shop I loved it. I think for the reason people are saying they don't like it in other threads.

Really just want an amp that does it all. Considering an Invader actually. Want a great clean, light British crunch, high gain rhythm, and a smooth lead

Just bought a Marshall 6100 head. I winced a little when they reissued the 2555. It would have killed the value of my 6100 if they reissued that :p

jonsick

Reaction score
When I tried the 50w 5153 in a shop I loved it. I think for the reason people are saying they don't like it in other threads.

Really just want an amp that does it all. Considering an Invader actually. Want a great clean, light British crunch, high gain rhythm, and a smooth lead

Just bought a Marshall 6100 head. I winced a little when they reissued the 2555. It would have killed the value of my 6100 if they reissued that :p

I wouldn't be surprised if a 6100LM reissue wasn't on the cards.

I read over on the Marshall forum about the reissue destroying the used value on the originals. Really, I don't see it. Neither the DSL100 nor JCM800 reissues did anything to the used value of those amps. In fact, the JCM900 reissue did nothing either. I would be surprised if suddenly this was the only amp to experience anything at all. Though Jubilees are stupid money on the used market anyway, so maybe it would be no harm.

Personally, I'm either buying a 5153 or a 2555X this year. I'll wait until some Jubiliees actually exist in shops and actual prices are on sites (not the RRP) and go check some out.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
im really looking into getting a used E520 preamp just to have :D
I have it. It was my first tube piece of gear.
It`s a nice preamp. Although it is officially 3 channel preamp where channel 2 and 3 are sharing the EQ, it`s basically just two channel preamp - clean & lead. Rhythm channel is too bassy to be usable. Clean is ok, nothing to write home about but it gets the job done.
Lead is very close to Savage SE I have. The bass is more open sounding but mids are not as wide. It has a mid boost button that brings some nice mids but the tone loses some definition. But it has plenty of articulation and note separation anyway. On the other hand it may sound thin to some. I recommend to pair it with some fat poweramp and 4x12 cab to add the thickness.

TheFranMan

Reaction score
Another ENGL player here. Currently playing through an ENGL SE E670 EL34 model. Absolutely love it, but unfortunately may have to move it because I need the cash and I don't have the time to play it as much as I used to.

I feel like I'm about to go through a breakup hahaha

')