Engl Amps owners thread :D

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Can you post your MXR settings? I tried one in the loop of my Thunder but it only seems to add noise and not really shape the sound. Maybe I'm using the input gain and volume sliders wrong?

Your amp's loop might be set to parallel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
So I'm considering getting an Ironball. How do you guys think the clean channel would react to a fuzz up front?

I'm a black/death metal player 85% of the time but when I get the urge to doom... Yeah.

My friend was concerned that it wouldn't be enough headroom, but the jump in volume to a Fireball 100 would be pretty dramatic I would think.

EDIT: I think I've settled on an E530 with a 6l6 power amp instead.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
Can you post your MXR settings? I tried one in the loop of my Thunder but it only seems to add noise and not really shape the sound. Maybe I'm using the input gain and volume sliders wrong?
Generally speaking I do not touch Volume and Gain sliders. The settings really depend on the guitar and the pickup and the amp itself. For example with my Jackson SL1 and ESP M-II I do not need the EQ in the loop.
But if I do have it engaged (for example with other guitars) the settings are like these:
I lower 16kHz to -5 and 8kHz to -3 as a starting point. Then for Savage SE I keep everything else flat, with Invader I used to lower 31,25Hz to -6, 62,5Hz to -3 to get rid of the boomy frequences and boost 1kHz +1 for better cut; with E520 preamp I boost 250Hz and 500Hz to somewhere between +1 and +2 to make it thicker.

So nothing drastic. Recently I tend not to use the EQ in the loop and rather keep the amp's sound as natural as possible.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
My friend was concerned that it wouldn't be enough headroom, but the jump in volume to a Fireball 100 would be pretty dramatic I would think.

EDIT: I think I've settled on an E530 with a 6l6 power amp instead.
I don't know about headroom but with 2xEL84's one could doubt it.
Anyhow I wouldn't be afraid of a volume jump if you went for Fireball 100. ENGL amps have very good master volume taper. Choose whatever suits your sonic needs better.

If you decide to go with E530, I'd suggest to pick some fat poweramp, preferably 100W. I played it through my E920/50 (with EL34) and although it sounded good, it was nowhere as thick as my 100W heads.

Zeriton

Reaction score
This seems to be a problem with all ENGL amps I've ever had...

My ENGL Invader has some weird popping and crackling sound all the time off-standby. I can't see anything wrong with the valves so not sure.

My ENGL Powerball did exactly the same thing...

Any ideas guys? :(

EG1s

Luke
Reaction score
I am looking to buy an Ironball if anyone is willing to sell. Thanks

Luke

Jaek-Chi

Reaction score
This seems to be a problem with all ENGL amps I've ever had...

My ENGL Invader has some weird popping and crackling sound all the time off-standby. I can't see anything wrong with the valves so not sure.

My ENGL Powerball did exactly the same thing...

Any ideas guys? :(

If it's only happening on standby and not when you have the amp on and are playing, i wouldn't imagine its the tubes. I may be wrong, but doesn't sound like it.

I've owned both and Fireball and a Savage and i've not experienced this issue thankfully.

Best of luck with the fix mate.

sonofabias

Reaction score
I don't know about headroom but with 2xEL84's one could doubt it.
Anyhow I wouldn't be afraid of a volume jump if you went for Fireball 100. ENGL amps have very good master volume taper. Choose whatever suits your sonic needs better.

If you decide to go with E530, I'd suggest to pick some fat poweramp, preferably 100W. I played it through my E920/50 (with EL34) and although it sounded good, it was nowhere as thick as my 100W heads.

:cool: Hi sinnersmoon I'm using an e920 power amp as well as an e520 pre , which I'll add to my rack very soon in addition to my GSP 1101 . I wondered about thickening up my low end as you mentioned , with an eq pedal as well as a bit more head room , I've explored the possibility of adding a 2 X 100 e920 or a Lee Jackson SP1000 in order to facilitate the increase . My current guitars in use are a ESP Horizon custom and my Ken Smith BT Custom 6 . :shred:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I played Invader II today and I loved it. Channel 4 with high gain selected especially. I like the amp, but I don't need all of those features and its waaaay out of my price range.

How does the Fireball 100 compare tonally? Obviously it doesn't have the features of the invader, but is it similar feel when you get into the high gain side of things?

Reaction score
Anybody played a Gigmaster 15 or 30?
They seemed like to me Engl's answer to the 5150 (but with that clickable power scaling on the back, which is fun).

Dionysian

More gear than sense
Reaction score
H8Gh1Uw.jpg

I just got this ENGL Blackmore in a really great deal. The vertical 2x12 with V60's works really well. I just wish it was 10cm wider!

Zeriton

Reaction score
If it's only happening on standby and not when you have the amp on and are playing, i wouldn't imagine its the tubes. I may be wrong, but doesn't sound like it.

I've owned both and Fireball and a Savage and i've not experienced this issue thankfully.

Best of luck with the fix mate.

Nah it's happening when I'm playing all the time. Not happening on standby :(

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
:cool: Hi sinnersmoon I'm using an e920 power amp as well as an e520 pre , which I'll add to my rack very soon in addition to my GSP 1101 . I wondered about thickening up my low end as you mentioned , with an eq pedal as well as a bit more head room , I've explored the possibility of adding a 2 X 100 e920 or a Lee Jackson SP1000 in order to facilitate the increase . My current guitars in use are a ESP Horizon custom and my Ken Smith BT Custom 6 . :shred:
E520 preamp is not thick as per se which is not always a bad thing. It's tight and it has good note separation even under high gain. It cuts well but one must keep highs under control (I keep preamp's presence maxed and treble usually around 9 or 10 o'clock - the sound retains the aggression but it's not harsh). EQ in the loop to bring up some lower mids works well but there are also other things I would look at.
First of all I recommend 4x12 cab. More speakers and cab's bigger volume bring thicker sound naturally. V30's work well but try K100's or mix the two. You may be pleased with the results.
Poweramp is the second thing. I loved it through Laney VH100R's poweramp. That amp is one fat mofo and if Laney had its power section in a rack version, I'd be all over it.
Then I really liked it in the return of my Invader. It was better than through Savage SE. Savage SE has tighter poweramp (than Invader) that is compensated by broader mids of its preamp (E520 lacked some mids comparing to Savage SE's preamp). This combination results in very punchy, in-your-face sound.
I had a possibility to A/B Mesa Boogie 395 with my handmade 60W EL34 poweramp and although Mesa sounded a bit fuller it wasn't a big difference and so I kept my poweramp. E920/50 poweramp sounds similar to my old poweramp but it has warmer, rounder sound and less presence which is good because ENGL preamp has more than enough bite. It may sound even unpleasantly piercing at high volumes that's why some highs are cut by EQ in the loop. Warmer preamp tubes help as well. Also PI tube is often overlooked but it has an impact. For example EH or JJ sounded quite sharp in that position (I prefer Sovtek 12AX7LPS). Also I preferred E920/50's volume maxed and regulate the overall output by preamp volume. It sounded better to me that way.
I would love to try ENGL E920/100 and compare it with its smaller brother.
Recently I've bought Masotti Slave 100 poweramp but I won't have a possibility to try it before Easter. I'll let you know.

Note: all my guitars are alder-bodied.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I played Invader II today and I loved it. Channel 4 with high gain selected especially. I like the amp, but I don't need all of those features and its waaaay out of my price range.

How does the Fireball 100 compare tonally? Obviously it doesn't have the features of the invader, but is it similar feel when you get into the high gain side of things?

Does anyone have experience with these two amps?

vividox

Reaction score
I've really been considering the dark side lately - selling my Fireball and picking up an Axe FX. All I do is record (never play live) and I can't help but think the Axe FX would be a hell of a lot less trouble insofar as cables and recording is concerned. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much tube sound that I prefer, it's the sound of pushed air. And you can get that using an Axe FX and a cab just as easily as using a tube amp and a cab...

On the other hand, I could just be getting tired of my Fireball in general. I've considered upgrading to a Savage and seeing what that's like.

Anyone wanna try talking me down from the cliff?

sonofabias

Reaction score
E520 preamp is not thick as per se which is not always a bad thing. It's tight and it has good note separation even under high gain. It cuts well but one must keep highs under control (I keep preamp's presence maxed and treble usually around 9 or 10 o'clock - the sound retains the aggression but it's not harsh). EQ in the loop to bring up some lower mids works well but there are also other things I would look at.
First of all I recommend 4x12 cab. More speakers and cab's bigger volume bring thicker sound naturally. V30's work well but try K100's or mix the two. You may be pleased with the results.
Poweramp is the second thing. I loved it through Laney VH100R's poweramp. That amp is one fat mofo and if Laney had its power section in a rack version, I'd be all over it.
Then I really liked it in the return of my Invader. It was better than through Savage SE. Savage SE has tighter poweramp (than Invader) that is compensated by broader mids of its preamp (E520 lacked some mids comparing to Savage SE's preamp). This combination results in very punchy, in-your-face sound.
I had a possibility to A/B Mesa Boogie 395 with my handmade 60W EL34 poweramp and although Mesa sounded a bit fuller it wasn't a big difference and so I kept my poweramp. E920/50 poweramp sounds similar to my old poweramp but it has warmer, rounder sound and less presence which is good because ENGL preamp has more than enough bite. It may sound even unpleasantly piercing at high volumes that's why some highs are cut by EQ in the loop. Warmer preamp tubes help as well. Also PI tube is often overlooked but it has an impact. For example EH or JJ sounded quite sharp in that position (I prefer Sovtek 12AX7LPS). Also I preferred E920/50's volume maxed and regulate the overall output by preamp volume. It sounded better to me that way.
Recently I've bought Masotti Slave 100 poweramp but I won't have a possibility to try it before Easter. I'll let you know.

:cool: Thanks for the info , ie: 920/520 . I'll have the 520 in a couple of days , from what I'm told it has NOS 12ax7 ( siemans , telefunkens ? ) I'm aware of the high volume pierce of the 520 ( I had one around for several months , years ago ) , this is the first Engl power amp I've owned so I'm looking forward to pairing the two . I've actually looked around for a 920/2X100 for the very same reason , I'm playing live' quite a bit right now as well as being in 3 bands which means I very much require the flexibility along with the extra headroom . Please do let me know about the Masotti , I listened to some great demos of their heads several months ago , so much so that I contacted them for more information on their products . I'm also looking at a Lee Jackson SP1000 2X100 power amp as a lighter alternative with massive headroom . :agreed:

sonofabias

Reaction score

For my cabs I have two Engl XXL pros , both with V30's , which I'm going to mix with either K100's or Eminence Swamp Thangs . I've also had my eye on an E570 pre which is being held for me when I can afford it as well ! :hbang:

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
For my cabs I have two Engl XXL pros , both with V30's , which I'm going to mix with either K100's or Eminence Swamp Thangs . I've also had my eye on an E570 pre which is being held for me when I can afford it as well ! :hbang:

Funny thing is that both Masotti poweramp and E570 popped up at roughly the same time. But I had the funds only for one of them. So I went for Masotti since it's rarer.

Somewhere in the future I'd love to have an E570 or an E580. On paper E580 has everything I want from a preamp.

sonofabias

Reaction score
Funny thing is that both Masotti poweramp and E570 popped up at roughly the same time. But I had the funds only for one of them. So I went for Masotti since it's rarer.

Somewhere in the future I'd love to have an E570 or an E580. On paper E580 has everything I want from a preamp.

:wavey:From what I've heard , the 570 is better for live' applications . According to what I've heard the 580 has a bit of a lag when switching channels and or pre sets . I'm very curious about the Masotti power amp ! Does your 520 and 920 have the midi options which were available at the time ? Both of my engls have it . The MPS as well as midi in out and through . I've never used them before , I wondered if you understand how to program either of them , Engl's very sketchy with information on discontinued gear and the guides tell you very little about programming ? I'm using a z15 for switching .:agreed:

')