Engl Amps owners thread :D

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
:wavey:From what I've heard , the 570 is better for live' applications . According to what I've heard the 580 has a bit of a lag when switching channels and or pre sets . I'm very curious about the Masotti power amp ! Does your 520 and 920 have the midi options which were available at the time ? Both of my engls have it . The MPS as well as midi in out and through . I've never used them before , I wondered if you understand how to program either of them , Engl's very sketchy with information on discontinued gear and the guides tell you very little about programming ? I'm using a z15 for switching .:agreed:
Yes, I've read that too but I spoke with a guy who owned it and he said that he had not noticed any latency with preset switching. I'd like to see it by myself.

Neither my E520 or E920 has a MIDI. I use an external unit for it. However programming of any ENGL is very simple - choose a button, set up the channel, confirm with WRITE, choose A or B set on the poweramp, confirm with WRITE and you're good to go.
It works like that with an external unit (non-ENGL), Savage SE using Z7 MIDI interface and also with Invader that has built-in MIDI.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sonofabias

Reaction score
Yes, I've read that too but I spoke with a guy who owned it and he said that he had not noticed any latency with preset switching. I'd like to see it by myself.

Neither my E520 or E920 has a MIDI. I use an external unit for it. However programming of any ENGL is very simple - choose a button, set up the channel, confirm with WRITE, choose A or B set on the poweramp, confirm with WRITE and you're good to go.
It works like that with an external unit (non-ENGL), Savage SE using Z7 MIDI interface and also with Invader that has built-in MIDI.
Thanks again, it's good to know about the 580, that very question about latency prevented me from picking up one last year . What kind of eq pedal are you using for your 520? :cool:

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
:cool: Thanks
Are you using any type of noise gate ?
No, I don't feel the need to use a gate.
I used to use Hush when I had Rocktron Xpression but I didn't like how it affected the tone.
The same with the noise gate built into Invader. I don't like it.
It takes away some of the nature of the tone and leaves an artificial trace in it. In that case I prefer to have a low, natural hiss. If I'm not happy with the noise, I look for low noise tubes.
The truth is that I have never tried ISP Decimator but currently I'm happy with the level of noise, so I'm not even tempted to get one.

sonofabias

Reaction score
No, I don't feel the need to use a gate.
I used to use Hush when I had Rocktron Xpression but I didn't like how it affected the tone.
The same with the noise gate built into Invader. I don't like it.
It takes away some of the nature of the tone and leaves an artificial trace in it. In that case I prefer to have a low, natural hiss. If I'm not happy with the noise, I look for low noise tubes.
The truth is that I have never tried ISP Decimator but currently I'm happy with the level of noise, so I'm not even tempted to get one.

I have the same impression about the Invaders noise gate .

Jayd41

Reaction score
Invader II owner checking in.

This is by far the greatest amp I've ever owned!

There isn't a tone that this amp can't do well!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Invader II owner checking in.

This is by far the greatest amp I've ever owned!

There isn't a tone that this amp can't do well!

I'm considering, but what's your take on the additional wizard module thinger?

Jayd41

Reaction score
I'm considering, but what's your take on the additional wizard module thinger?

It makes the amp SOOOO versatile, it really is crazy.

I can tweak every channel to sound just how I like it.

It gives you extra gain stages to play with also.
I would highly recommend it.

sonofabias

Reaction score
It makes the amp SOOOO versatile, it really is crazy.

I can tweak every channel to sound just how I like it.

It gives you extra gain stages to play with also.
I would highly recommend it.

:lol: That's pretty sick , considering how flexible the Invader v1 is ...!:agreed:

sonofabias

Reaction score
E520 preamp is not thick as per se which is not always a bad thing. It's tight and it has good note separation even under high gain. It cuts well but one must keep highs under control (I keep preamp's presence maxed and treble usually around 9 or 10 o'clock - the sound retains the aggression but it's not harsh). EQ in the loop to bring up some lower mids works well but there are also other things I would look at.
First of all I recommend 4x12 cab. More speakers and cab's bigger volume bring thicker sound naturally. V30's work well but try K100's or mix the two. You may be pleased with the results.
Poweramp is the second thing. I loved it through Laney VH100R's poweramp. That amp is one fat mofo and if Laney had its power section in a rack version, I'd be all over it.
Then I really liked it in the return of my Invader. It was better than through Savage SE. Savage SE has tighter poweramp (than Invader) that is compensated by broader mids of its preamp (E520 lacked some mids comparing to Savage SE's preamp). This combination results in very punchy, in-your-face sound.
I had a possibility to A/B Mesa Boogie 395 with my handmade 60W EL34 powera
mp and although Mesa sounded a bit fuller it wasn't a big difference and so I kept my poweramp. E920/50 poweramp sounds similar to my old poweramp but it has warmer, rounder sound and less presence which is good because ENGL preamp has more than enough bite. It may sound even unpleasantly piercing at high volumes that's why some highs are cut by EQ in the loop. Warmer preamp tubes help as well. Also PI tube is often overlooked but it has an impact. For example EH or JJ sounded quite sharp in that position (I prefer Sovtek 12AX7LPS). Also I preferred E920/50's volume maxed and regulate the overall output by preamp volume. It sounded better to me that way.
I would love to try ENGL E920/100 and compare it with its smaller brother.
Recently I've bought Masotti Slave 100 poweramp but I won't have a possibility to try it before Easter. I'll let you know.

Note: all my guitars are alder-bodied.

:wavey: I'ts NGD for me ! My e520 preamp was delivered today, spent most of the afternoon tweaking it . Seems much more aggressive than what I've heard about it in the past, especially when compared to the e530 . I think pairing it with the.e920 contributes making this one very mean sounding preamp . The lead channel's very tight but still clear and in your face angry . The clean channel's crisp snd airy , if you will again much better than I expected. It's not the three dimensional crystalline clean channel of the Invader or SE but it's a very close second. The rhythm channel has something to be desired which I can't put my finge on . If I did any mods it would be particularly to this channel. If you thought modifying the 520 what would you want to have changed? I know there are mods for the 530, I had this done to my PeaveyrRockMaster preamp.

Attachments

• mod_1446603132933.jpg
    mod_1446603132933.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 18
  • CAM00751.jpg
    CAM00751.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 22

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Ironball Bag

So when perusing Engl's website. I was thrilled to see that a bag was offered for the Ironball. However, it seemseems pretty expensive to buy one and have it sent from Germany. I can't seem to locate any in the US. Does anyone know where one might be able to find this stateside for a reasonable price?

sonofabias

Reaction score
Ironball Bag

So when perusing Engl's website. I was thrilled to see that a bag was offered for the Ironball. However, it seemseems pretty expensive to buy one and have it sent from Germany. I can't seem to locate any in the US. Does anyone know where one might be able to find this stateside for a reasonable price?

:wavey: Try Velvet distribution, they're the Engl distributor for the US or contact the main engl store in LA . :cool:

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
:wavey: I'ts NGD for me ! My e520 preamp was delivered today, spent most of the afternoon tweaking it . Seems much more aggressive than what I've heard about it in the past, especially when compared to the e530 . I think pairing it with the.e920 contributes making this one very mean sounding preamp . The lead channel's very tight but still clear and in your face angry . The clean channel's crisp snd airy , if you will again much better than I expected. It's not the three dimensional crystalline clean channel of the Invader or SE but it's a very close second. The rhythm channel has something to be desired which I can't put my finge on . If I did any mods it would be particularly to this channel. If you thought modifying the 520 what would you want to have changed? I know there are mods for the 530, I had this done to my PeaveyrRockMaster preamp.

Happy NGD!
Although being quite old (it was produced from 1988 till 1993 or 1994) this preamp does not sound vintage at all. It is capable of classic 80s metal with ease and beyond. It reacts well to different guitars and preamp tubes.
Rhythm channel is pretty useless because it's too bassy and loose.
I have already thought of moding it. I would clone the lead channel to replace the rhythm one and mid boost button to be active only for leads.

sonofabias

Reaction score
Happy NGD!
Although being quite old (it was produced from 1988 till 1993 or 1994) this preamp does not sound vintage at all. It is capable of classic 80s metal with ease and beyond. It reacts well to different guitars and preamp tubes.
Rhythm channel is pretty useless because it's too bassy and loose.
I have already thought of moding it. I would clone the lead channel to replace the rhythm one and mid boost button to be active only for leads.
:agreed:
I really think it's capable of more modern metal as well , believe me we're not 80's style . :scratch: I had a major problem with the lead channel cutting in and out when I took it to rehearsal in my rack last week . It went from full output to almost nothing even while cranked , I had to switch over to the 1101 which I have to say after hearing the 520 at full volume is somewhat of a let down , At that point I was ready to stop using the 1110 because of how clear and brutal the 520 and 920 sounds with what else...that Engl distortion , such clarity , definition and depth which blew my band away and confused my singer who was thrown because everything was so clear LOL . I took it home , started to change tubes , especially V4 . Clean/rhym channels were unaffected by the problem . I went through nearly a week of testing and playing with the lead channel which worked for short periods of time before low OP no distortion happens again . I think there's probably something like a simple short somewhere because when the lead chann. works , it's full OP , then it cuts out . This is really a disappointment , I have a gig tonight and I really wanted to use it . So far know one in the area wants to even look at it for me much less mod it . My tech who worked on the Peavey for me is no longer working so I may have to send it back , I shouldn't have to pay to repair something I just bought . It's killing me because the 520 is so flexible , more so than I first thought and according to my friend , the clean's better than the 530 which has fewer options . Any suggestions ? I called Voodoo mods , they don't do it ?

That's one of the mods I considered doing , that's also one of the mods I had done to my Peavey Rockmaster pre amp , had the crunch chann. pot changed to 500k , plate voltage to 320v . Hope I can resolve this because it sounds to damn good , it was like sex with a very hot girl and then ....nothing ..........damn . I do very much appreciate your advice ! :cool:

')