Engl Amps owners thread :D

Stooly

Reaction score
Replied on R/T too...

But I doubt you'll be able to set the bias hot enough. You can use them, but they'll be biased really cold. You may need to replace the bias resistor.

True, I can't even get the bias hot enough now. 35w/542v=.065 x .7= 45mv according to my bias meter. Maxed bias I'm getting about 32mv. Tried another set of JJ 6550s I had laying around and they were 30mv.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stooly

Reaction score
Replied on R/T too...

But I doubt you'll be able to set the bias hot enough. You can use them, but they'll be biased really cold. You may need to replace the bias resistor.

I finally heard back from Engl support on Facebook. Quote from them:

"Now to your question. In the Savage 120 we have 2x 6550 tubes with around 40 watt rms each which is not the same as the peek output. This is why the power of this amp is classified with 120 watt. Regarding the KT120 tubes I just talked to our technicians and unfortunately we cannot give a recommendation to use this tubes in the Savage 120. The specs of these tubes do not fit 100% to the requirements of the Savage. I hope this will help you! All the best! Martin"

Chiba666

Reaction score
Well my rockmaster seems to have crapped out, it takes power, tube lights are on so I'm guessing a preamp tube has blown. It looks pretty tight in there, anyone had experience of how to get into the chassis of one.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I finally heard back from Engl support on Facebook. Quote from them:

"Now to your question. In the Savage 120 we have 2x 6550 tubes with around 40 watt rms each which is not the same as the peek output. This is why the power of this amp is classified with 120 watt. Regarding the KT120 tubes I just talked to our technicians and unfortunately we cannot give a recommendation to use this tubes in the Savage 120. The specs of these tubes do not fit 100% to the requirements of the Savage. I hope this will help you! All the best! Martin"

Yeah... the "120" part of the Savage 120 is very misleading. Total power output is like 60-70W. Not 120W. I think it may have originally been intended for 120W with 4 6550 power tubes on paper when designed... but was cut down to 2 6550s to save on cost. You can hear the Savage 120 is not as loud as other 100W amps like a Dual Recto or 6505 for reference. Can be a good thing for recording or home use.

n4t

Reaction score
Your estimate of 60-70 is a bit low. Bump that up to 80-90w for the Savage.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Your estimate of 60-70 is a bit low. Bump that up to 80-90w for the Savage.

On paper... yes. But when you've heard the amp at full tilt... I'd be surprised if it hits 80W. Theoretically it should push 90W total power output. Engl actually increased the size of the OT in 2011 to help with this volume issue.

Stooly

Reaction score
Of course I've never had any problem keeping up using my EVH 50w either. Plenty damn loud for any situation, except maybe for playing outdoors unmicced. Which was why I thought about putting the KT-120 tubes in to get closer to 120w. I guess I could have a resister mod done to accommodate the bias, but probably don't need it.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Reaction score
Hey dudes! Owner of an Invader 100 (the original model) here. I'm looking to downsize my rig, so I was wondering if you guys were in the know of an amp that has a similar sound to Ch 3 (it rips, I love it). The 6505 is an obvious choice, but that wouldn't exactly be downsizing! I'm looking for the 50 watt range, as I record using a Randall ISO412, and I don't want to blow out the single 60w speaker in there.

Does the Fireball have a similar sound? Specifically the 60 watter?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving my e530- but I can't help but wonder, what of the Engl amp lineup is the next step? Is there an amp in the lineup that is very similar?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Hey dudes! Owner of an Invader 100 (the original model) here. I'm looking to downsize my rig, so I was wondering if you guys were in the know of an amp that has a similar sound to Ch 3 (it rips, I love it). The 6505 is an obvious choice, but that wouldn't exactly be downsizing! I'm looking for the 50 watt range, as I record using a Randall ISO412, and I don't want to blow out the single 60w speaker in there.

Does the Fireball have a similar sound? Specifically the 60 watter?

Totally secondhand info: the fireball 60 is pretty scooped compared to most anything.

Again, I'm just reapeating info, I have zero actual experience with it.

MetalHead40

Reaction score

^^^
We should talk! I've always wanted to give the Invader 100 a go and I have a FB100.

I'll PM you.

chopeth

Reaction score
New to the family

rnfWVQc.jpg

wlfers

Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving my e530- but I can't help but wonder, what of the Engl amp lineup is the next step? Is there an amp in the lineup that is very similar?

Get the e570. Much better in my opinion, and I owned both simultaneously. Sounded less fuzzy, better attack, and midi is a plus

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
Get the e570. Much better in my opinion, and I owned both simultaneously. Sounded less fuzzy, better attack, and midi is a plus

If you love E530, chances are you wouldn't be happy with E570. It depends on what you're after.
I owned E570, Invader 100 and Savage SE at the same time.
I kept the Savage SE and I have recently bought E530.

E570 is certainly more versatile with way more options than E530. But I found Lead I and Lead II to be somewhat closer to the Invader's Ch3 and Ch4 than to Savage.
I love Savage's Lead channel. Tight and focused with lots of mids.
Invader's Ch3 sound bigger, it fills the room better but it didn't have the mids I wanted. Ch4 is all about mids (great for leads) but I couldn't tame the highs at higher volumes.
I found E570 having similar issues. Lead I is tighter than Invader's Ch3 but it didn't have the mids I liked and Lead II had those shrill highs I couldn't dial out. I tried to swap the tubes and different poweramps (I liked it through Savage SE's power section the most).

I haven't spent enough time with E530 yet but I really dig Lo/Hi mids and Contour switch (I like it on). It can do some nice low gain tones, too (with my G&L single coil strat). I don't need them but they're there. I need good clean and great, tight hi gain for metal rhythm.
Lack of MIDI is not an issue for me. It can be easily solved by an external unit.
What was better designed in E570 is the loop and preamp defeat. E530 has Send as Output which is not very fortunate. E570 has a dedicated section for the loop.
Also I like different qualities in the rhythm and the lead tone. Thus I need to use pedal(s) to fine-tune the lead tone, if I dial a good rhythm tone on E530. With E570 and its options you may find it easier to have both good rhythm and lead tone.

So if you're looking for an amp that is close to E530, look at the Savage 120 (which E530 is ultimately based on).

lewis

Reaction score
quickly tried my E530 into a my 2x12 for the first time the other day using the built in small poweramp. Wow

blimey I loved it. Had used it in the past going direct using IR's (Torpedo CAB) but going into a physical cabinet gives a sound that crushes any direct/IR setup.

Im 100% going to save for a poweramp now. Buy another cab, and run it into two 2x12's at the same time!!. Was godly!

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
I really like my E530.
quickly tried my E530 into a my 2x12 for the first time the other day using the built in small poweramp. Wow

blimey I loved it. Had used it in the past going direct using IR's (Torpedo CAB) but going into a physical cabinet gives a sound that crushes any direct/IR setup.

Im 100% going to save for a poweramp now. Buy another cab, and run it into two 2x12's at the same time!!. Was godly!

I told you it was a good idea to keep the E530. What poweramp are you planning on saving up for? If you are planning on getting a specific one.

')