Engl Amps owners thread :D

lewis

Reaction score
I really like my E530.

I told you it was a good idea to keep the E530. What poweramp are you planning on saving up for? If you are planning on getting a specific one.
Will be something that offers stereo.
Thinking atm Rocktron Velocity 300. 150watts per 2x12 which works out about right.

Needs to be rack mountable. If Tube poweramps werent so much money I would go with that but Im sure SS poweramps are fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
Thinking atm Rocktron Velocity 300. 150watts per 2x12 which works out about right.

Needs to be rack mountable. If Tube poweramps werent so much money I would go with that but Im sure SS poweramps are fine.

Look for an old Mesa Boogie 50/50 poweramp. It's a solid poweramp and not too heavy on your pocket.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score

Damn, the dude I bought my E530 from was also selling a Rocktron Velocity 300 for £180. Didn't you say you had a Peavey 60/60 poweramp? Or did I misunderstand?

lewis

Reaction score
Damn, the dude I bought my E530 from was also selling a Rocktron Velocity 300 for £180. Didn't you say you had a Peavey 60/60 poweramp? Or did I misunderstand?

No?. When was that? haha

Unless you are mistaking me for someone else.?

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Yeah, I got am Engl Pro 1x12 cab to replace my Mesa and it clicked. The amp sounds so much better with this than the recto!

68hPISyXd49ZtTiEKLNtPQd2kxe2e3FujLVP8xApYDho71dznaf67V7rnS9mnKLQIXIf0QtotU5XWQ6SJJU52yZI_GQZC8HUnxR_OwPRCvxTq53Me33_GSo7gKeehPFEklKB95Pq6rupoRgJYxLwOnWUyOjY5JEcPW47gBOo1JasXjWmONnfh2JosaWnhOP-aHhgY_dMHxrW26uDKt4vldMc_leOGg9yV-z299Qh3xygVFnorJDZ2VH6GL7GkK8OnsCVjMurkLIPlsRUyKOg5VJh9t_OrSYNA9k6jqetN06vX0qTkkW-is2MPGIipCusVsNf0ka8SRTQWuu2MyJZCyXX9BKhmp1RBWMEPF5SMI7-gS-KXuC_5PdhAp_q3HPvzIcc7yzA3kv4NvGS3z7Hz6D4ljxJ3WRmCFlUfSjhAccrEzI3yeMVtHzzswHkkLCrZ0Z8NdrA3Rrr6fQAf5HzTAA8oSpvmia_DZevTESZYehvd307of1GsEdrYvfpfkVU0BAj9MIzaS2BTLTAkaj7_2cXCSAgNvHC2B7vhX99uMP2J_QQ-qpypXNl4jKKcee5pLQ_E5-Ll1coHE-FjESJzaQCKdsFCujWdNA7vDy0ycW55MYjDCDGURNW=w883-h1070-no

lewis

Reaction score
Im going to be ordering two new Chinese Silver dragon preamp tubes for my E530 for extra Bite/twang and gain.
Using an 8 string that is basically drop B with a low F# and an extra high

anyone else had good experiences with these chinese preamp tubes?.

lewis

Reaction score
anyone have any Idea where I can order those chrome Engl knobs found on the E570 preamp?

I have the E530 and want to swap the stock black knobs out for ones mentioned.

lewis

Reaction score
Those chrome knobs on E570 are very hard to see. I could never see the position. Much prefer the black knobs of E530.
ah wow thanks for that heads up

So if I was going to swap them out, I would need to find different chrome knobs with obvious black markers as to where we were on the dial.

Line 6 chrome knobs are exactly the same. No indicator on the knob itself

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't think any chrome dome knobs can have obvious black markers -- it's just the nature of curved highly reflective surfaces. The E580 had the right idea, chrome knobs with leds around the knob to indicate the current positioning -- when they made the 570 it seems like they borrowed the knobs without the same necessary foresight.

lewis

Reaction score
I don't think any chrome dome knobs can have obvious black markers -- it's just the nature of curved highly reflective surfaces. The E580 had the right idea, chrome knobs with leds around the knob to indicate the current positioning -- when they made the 570 it seems like they borrowed the knobs without the same necessary foresight.
ah yeah!

Ah screw that then. Was only a passing thought.
Will keep the stock black ones.

pfizer

Reaction score
Man, all these ENGLs are making me salivate.

Thought I'd ask here, instead of making a separate thread; what ENGL amp + cab would you all recommend for maximum versatility? I play mostly hard rock, thrash and metal, but I've been playing quite a bit of SRV and John Mayer, as well as the occasional djenty, prog type stuff. I'm currently using a Yamaha THR10x for a practice amp and a Boss Katana Amp Head running through a cheap, no-name cab. Both have served me quite well, but I'm looking to upgrade.

Also looking to run a Line 6 Helix or Headrush pedalboard, just for convenience and ease of use.

narad

Reaction score
Man, all these ENGLs are making me salivate.

Thought I'd ask here, instead of making a separate thread; what ENGL amp + cab would you all recommend for maximum versatility? I play mostly hard rock, thrash and metal, but I've been playing quite a bit of SRV and John Mayer, as well as the occasional djenty, prog type stuff. I'm currently using a Yamaha THR10x for a practice amp and a Boss Katana Amp Head running through a cheap, no-name cab. Both have served me quite well, but I'm looking to upgrade.

If you want the more classic stuff, the Artist Edition, if modern, probably the Steve Morse model. I don't think the super feature-laden high gain models like the invader or special edition do a convincinc job of classic rock/blues tones, and naturally the powerball and fireball are no good there.

lewis

Reaction score
anyone know if the E810 1U poweramp is any good?

I read some reviews on Thomann and some were mentioning overheat problems due to fan location inside or something?

Would love a E530 + E810 Pre/Poweramp rack setup but its like £800 odd and I dont want to spend that much on a tube poweramp if it has design flaws leading to it breaking.

Would rather rely on SS in that instance.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
If you want the more classic stuff, the Artist Edition, if modern, probably the Steve Morse model. I don't think the super feature-laden high gain models like the invader or special edition do a convincinc job of classic rock/blues tones, and naturally the powerball and fireball are no good there.
Invader does a very good classic rock tone.

Rawkmann

Reaction score

I'd look at an Engl Screamer for the 'classic' sort of sound that's versatile enough for higher gain metal. IMO, it's the most underrated amp in Engl's lineup.

narad

Reaction score
Invader does a very good classic rock tone.

I can't agree with that. If I were to compare the Invader with Diezel anything, Elmwood anything, Friedman anything, Orange rockerverb, Orange dual dark, Splawn anything, or the Engl Artist Edition, I'd say it has the least convincing classic rock tone of all of these by far. Nothing that's ever come out of an Engl Invader sounded like a passable 60-70s Marshall. Too thin and aggressively voiced, even on the crunch channel.

I'd look at an Engl Screamer for the 'classic' sort of sound that's versatile enough for higher gain metal. IMO, it's the most underrated amp in Engl's lineup.

Yea, I think the screamer could be good but I haven't had the chance to play one. The Artist Edition is seriously good though..it's like a JCM800 in Engl clothing.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I can't agree with that. If I were to compare the Invader with Diezel anything, Elmwood anything, Friedman anything, Orange rockerverb, Orange dual dark, Splawn anything, or the Engl Artist Edition, I'd say it has the least convincing classic rock tone of all of these by far. Nothing that's ever come out of an Engl Invader sounded like a passable 60-70s Marshall. Too thin and aggressively voiced, even on the crunch channel.

Yea, I think the screamer could be good but I haven't had the chance to play one. The Artist Edition is seriously good though..it's like a JCM800 in Engl clothing.

+1 to all of this. Engls don't excel at classic rock tones. The Artist or the Retro are the best of the pack... but I'd still recommend almost any Marshall or Bogner over them for classic rock.

')