Engl e530 + AxeFX?

• Thread starter X14Halo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

X14Halo

Reaction score
I have an Axe-FX II but I am having some trouble getting a good tone out of it, mainly because there are just too many options to tweak.
After hearing some awesome clips of people using an engl e530 with cab impulses, I have decided to grab an e530 preamp.
I was planning on using it direct into my computer with some impulses, but I heard that I can plug it into my AxeFX and just use the cab sims and other effects on the Axe.
Does anybody have any experience with this kind of setup?

Also, if I am connecting the e530 to my computer or to the Axe-FX, do I need to use a special cable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
I have an Axe-FX II but I am having some trouble getting a good tone out of it, mainly because there are just too many options to tweak.

Learn to tweak. Why would u buy a 2k$ piece of gear that you cant even use? Learn how the signal go through the different effects (comp, od, hi lo pass filters etc.) Then you will be happy.

What makes you think youll be able to tweak the e530 properly? Less knobs? Its easier cause you know what the fewr knobs do, so just learn how the axe fx works and dont spend another 500$ on a piece of gear you dont need.

Saying that, i jsut received my e530 today and that pre amp is pure awsomeness.

X14Halo

Reaction score
Yea, I kinda feel like an idiot, but I guess I will wait to see how the e530 sounds with and without the Axe. If there is not much improvement at all then I will probably return the e530 so it's no big deal.

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
What are you running the axe fx through? amp fx loop? Straight into computer? FRFR? Solid state/tube power amp?

X14Halo

Reaction score
Since I live in an apartment with thin walls....I am running it into my computer via USB. This feature is one of the main reasons I got the Axe.

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
Since I live in an apartment with thin walls....I am running it into my computer via USB. This feature is one of the main reasons I got the Axe.

That's most likely your problem. If you record it in a mix in your DAW with drums and bass, it will most likely sound good. If you can crank it through an amp you'll probably also like it more.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I don't have an Axe-Fx, but I do run my Engl e530 through my Rocktron Xpression for use of the speaker sims... personally, I find that set up to be awesome...

The speaker sims in the Xpression are "clear" enough to really let the e530 do it's thing... a little turn of a knob, and I've got more awesome tones...

I should point out that I run as well the e530 into a power amp (or use the on board amp) to power a couple of 2x12's... so, I get the best of both worlds with sims and the real deal either going at the same time or separate...

I hear the Axe-Fx has not only great preamp/amp models, but speaker, cabinet and effects that are world class... so why not use it that way? Just make sure you have some really good studio monitors....

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
How long have you had the AFX?

I say stick with it...keep learning and turning (knobs)! :lol:

You will get there.

Reaction score
How long have you had the AFX?

I say stick with it...keep learning and turning (knobs)! :lol:

You will get there.
+1...probably the most helpful comment on this page for someone in the op's position, you dont need to talk down to someone thats getting into something new, if you create bad experiences people go away, if someone is just learning to play a guitar you dont tell them they suck or show how much better you are, you need to help them out, you tell them to keep at it or stick with it. you move them in the right direction.

to the op, just mess around, try as many settings in as many configurations as possible, you will eventually find something you love, ive never played an axe fx, but i have played an e530, and known many people who have, and havn't found one who doesn't highly reccomend it, especially for metal.

have you made sure you have some type of cab emulation i.e. impulses? what lvls do you have your gain set at

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
You get that e530 and run it with the Axe yet?

I'd love to hear an update on your findings...

:shred:

X14Halo

Reaction score
It just got delivered! But I am at work, so it will have to wait until later tonight. Ugh...I can't wait....

mniel8195

Reaction score
this is how the axe fx and axe fx II work!

drive-amp-cab done you may use some low and hi cut in the cab but thats all it takes really.

X14Halo

Reaction score
this is how the axe fx and axe fx II work!

drive-amp-cab done you may use some low and hi cut in the cab but thats all it takes really.

Yea, don't get me wrong...I can get some amazing clean tones and lead tones out of the Axe, but I just find my high gain rhythm tones to be lacking a bit, so I guess we will see what the e530 can do in place of the amp block, and just using the Axe for cab sims and effects.

SevenSkull

Reaction score
I have both (Axe Standard+E530) and generally the combination sounds ok, but you can achieve a similar preamp distortion just with the AxeFx sims.

Sometimes I connect the E530 into the effect loop of my Axe, put some pedals in front for boosting(which the E530 benefits from). Biggest problem then is that the AxeFx can't do a power amp simulation only while using an external preamp so there's something lacking compared to a regular amp sim.
It's much easier to use the AxeFx only an tweak a bit. Getting a good rhythm high gain tone is not a problem, but IMO a suitable cab sim is the most important part.

X14Halo

Reaction score
Damn...oh well. I guess I'll see how it sounds tonight and I can always return it for a full refund within 45 days.

mniel8195

Reaction score
i cant imagine not getting a amazing sound out of the axe. try the 5150 or 5150 III settings with a 808 boost. mids and presence and the rite about og gain can do wonders for your rythm sound. What cabs sims are you using in the axe?

mniel8195

Reaction score
i would def return the engl! in my mind there is no reason to own it if you have an axe fx. i would spend that money on power amp if you needed it

xeonblade

Reaction score
Buy 20000$ car with manual transmission and then buy 5000$ car with automatic transmission to pull ur 20000$ car? Makes sense.

')