Engl E530 issue

• Thread starter Natron808
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Natron808

Reaction score
Hey guys. The Engl E530 I was waiting on finally showed up today. There's just one issue. None of the Line Out jacks seem to be outputting any signal. The headphone jack will even output enough signal to power headphones or, as I just tried out for 3 seconds, a guitar cabinet. This thing CLAIMS to have a 1.5W amp for the Line Outs that is much stronger than the headphone out but the signal coming out of those jacks is so weak that even running direct into a computer, you can baaaarely hear anything with the volume dimed. What gives? Am I missing something here? Yes, the switch on the back is set to the "connected to a guitar cab" setting. Anything else I might be missing?

EDIT: Or am I misreading the manual here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demeyes

Reaction score
You have the channel volumes up, and the line output knob on the back turned up?
That should give you sound. I've never run mine into a cab on it's own without a power amp though so I'm not sure what option you will need to have the switch on the back set to. Though I have recorded the line outs and had no problem getting a nice healthy signal on the input to my pc.

Natron808

Reaction score
You have the channel volumes up, and the line output knob on the back turned up?
That should give you sound. I've never run mine into a cab on it's own without a power amp though so I'm not sure what option you will need to have the switch on the back set to. Though I have recorded the line outs and had no problem getting a nice healthy signal on the input to my pc.

Oh I'm just a moron and read the manual to say you can use the Line Outs to power two cabinets. Durr you have to use the headphone jack with a stereo cable and blah blah.. nevermind. I'm dumb.

SargeantVomit

CIRRHOSIS THRASH
Reaction score
The "connected to a cabinet" switch has absolutely nothing to do with the line out levels, that switch is to control the headphone output on the front face of the amp. You're line outputs are #25+#26 and #27+#28 in the manual and are the 4 connectors to the right of that switch for the headphones on the back. You should also tell us what the rest of your recording chain is.

Natron808

Reaction score
The "connected to a cabinet" switch has absolutely nothing to do with the line out levels, that switch is to control the headphone output on the front face of the amp. You're line outputs are #25+#26 and #27+#28 in the manual and are the 4 connectors to the right of that switch for the headphones on the back. You should also tell us what the rest of your recording chain is.

Yep. I admit I incorrectly interpreted what the manual said and hooked a few things up incorrectly. Everything is A-OK right now. It's not hooked up to a power amp but I have the instrument out going to my other guitar amp just so I can hear what I'm playing in the room. The two Line Out connections are going to my Echo Layla 8-track recording interface which is going into my PC. I fiddled for a while to get the levels right, recorded a few things, applied some cabinet impulses... sounds fantastic! I just jumped to stupid conclusions way too quickly.

My first rack preamp. I was confused and ignorant. hah.

')