ENGL E530 Issues..

• Thread starter megalex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

megalex

Reaction score
I am having some hissing issues with the E530. There is a slight hiss specially when i increase the treble and the lead volume. So these are the setups..

ENGL530 -> Mesa 20/20
ENGL530 -> GSP1101 -> Mesa 20/20

When connected straight to the Mesa 20/20 there is some hissing but not as much..
When connected to the GSP1101 the hissing is amplified 10 fold.

Should i get a hush ?? is my cabling wrong?

Im using the send/receive on the E530 and GSP1101.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
swap your cables in and out to isolate whether a cable is the culprit. the 1101 is a preamp, right? are you running a pre into a pre? or just using the 1101 for effects?

megalex

Reaction score
I tried swaping cables and it didn't work.. I just want the effects.. I tried a different cabling method.. wich is.

ENGL send -> GSP1101 return.
GSP1101 LR out -> ENGL LR return.
ENGL out -> Mesa 20/20

now this got rid of the hissing.. but now it seems that the fx loop is messed up.. i get some effects like delays and reverb but no chorus or pitch sifter or noise gate !! weird !!

People sugest to get a hum eliminator does this work for hiss ? is hum and hiss the same thing?

Reaction score
I tried swaping cables and it didn't work.. I just want the effects.. I tried a different cabling method.. wich is.

ENGL send -> GSP1101 return.
GSP1101 LR out -> ENGL LR return.
ENGL out -> Mesa 20/20

now this got rid of the hissing.. but now it seems that the fx loop is messed up.. i get some effects like delays and reverb but no chorus or pitch sifter or noise gate !! weird !!

People suggest to get a hum eliminator does this work for hiss ? is hum and hiss the same thing?

What you should do is go back to basics, hook up just the Engl to the power amp. Does it his now? Next, run the 1101 with the amp mod section globally off completely, in the Engl's FX loop. Turn down the Engl's FX trim pot, and gradually turn it up. Make sure the 1101 output isn't past -10 Db, because I think it can be switched to +4 Db, and the Engl FX loop is set up for -10Db. Sounds like a level/imp. mismatch somewhere.

grants

Reaction score
Although this is an old thread, I am resurrecting it for the Digitech users. I have the 2101 preamp and although I must say that it causes quite a bit of annoying noise (even though not the same model).

')