ENGL E580

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I ran across this beauty the other day and was looking for more info about it.

ENGL E 580 Midi Tube Preamp

http://www.engl-amps.com/manuals/e580-om.pdf

From what I have read I have the impression that it sort of like an all tube modeller but I am not sure, either way it looks very fucking cool. It is very flexible with a ton of interactive features, controllable from windows PC and the factory presets are part of what give me the impression that it is more like a tube modeller than a traditional tube preamp.

I know Lozek owned one and I am not sure if he sold it yet. If this thing is half as capable as it looks I can not imagine how anything else comes close to it. The only thing I see wrong with it is the price.

Anyway I hope some of you can offer some more info if not drool with me. :drool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, its a sexy bitch. i will drool with you while someone on hear can say something that can explain why its cool/not cool, and maybe played with this one.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, mine went to the big Bay in the sky to finance my incoming Diezel rig. I'm not really sure what to tell you about the E-580, I think i feel pretty ambivalent towards it, there was nothing particularly bad about it, but at the same point I wouldn't call it an earth destroying tone-monster either. It sounded 'good' but not 'excellent', the lead tones 'worked' but didn't 'sing'.

I don't really know what else to tell you about it, maybe once you get to gear that costs this much, it just comes down to things that work for you personally, perhaps what I have in my head as great tone is just not the same as the next man. I definitely wouldn't tell you not to buy one, but perhaps make sure that you get to play it first to see if it's for you.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'm just drooling at the moment, there are other things I want a lot more right now. I just noticed it's got everything I wish my E530 had and a whole lot more and IMO if it is an improvement on a E530 then it is worth every cent because after spending some time tweaking the E530 I have really come to love the tones I get out of it. Of course I'm like everyone else always wanting more.

Latest posts