Engl E650 Blackmore or Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

Bunce

Reaction score
I'm buying a new amp. Having trouble deciding between a Engl E650 Blackmore or Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier. I know they are both great amps however does anyone know which one will buzz and hum less? Also which amp would suit down-tuned guitars. Genres such a Djent or Melodic Hardcore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Both are excellent choices for what you want to play, though I suggest you try them out before deciding on one. Engls certainly feed back less than Mesas.

Tonally, the Mesa has strong lows, a near abscence of lower mids, an upper mid spike and plenty of treble. It is very loose and 'purrs'. If you're trying it be prepared to work with it, because Mesa EQs don't react the way normal amps do.

The Engl is the opposite in all aspects, and as such both would do excellently mixed together. With Blackmore you get more restrained lows and highs, and plenty of lower mids. It is super-tight, defined and 'roars'. Not to mention it is the least compressed of all the Engls.

That is my experience of the amps anyway. Good luck, I'm sure either you'd find great :)

Reaction score
It really depends on your playing style.

You could use either of those amps for downtuned djent or melodic hardcore.

Both of them will probably hum, just buy an ISP Decimator for $80 and choose between the two amps based on the sound of the distortion, from youtube clips.

I think the ENGL is a clearer, thats the only thing that would sway me.

Bunce

Reaction score
Thats a good help. How about Cabs? I have the option of buying an Engl E412SS or i have a Hiwatt Maxwatt M412 which is slightly open backed

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
Both are excellent choices for what you want to play, though I suggest you try them out before deciding on one. Engls certainly feed back less than Mesas.

Tonally, the Mesa has strong lows, a near abscence of lower mids, an upper mid spike and plenty of treble. It is very loose and 'purrs'. If you're trying it be prepared to work with it, because Mesa EQs don't react the way normal amps do.

The Engl is the opposite in all aspects, and as such both would do excellently mixed together. With Blackmore you get more restrained lows and highs, and plenty of lower mids. It is super-tight, defined and 'roars'. Not to mention it is the least compressed of all the Engls.

That is my experience of the amps anyway. Good luck, I'm sure either you'd find great :)

I must of had a broken Blackmore, because it was more compressed than the Fireball 100 I had.

The Black more is like a really refined and compressed 5150, but minus the balls. Throw a TS style boost in front of the Recto if you try one out. It tightens it up a good bit.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
3ch 150W seperate EQ wins out in my books

Bunce

Reaction score
My thoughts are that I will get the Engl because it is slightly cheaper plus i do enjoy the warmer sound of the ENGL. The other Guitarist in my band uses a 6505 so i think this will work well

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
My thoughts are that I will get the Engl because it is slightly cheaper plus i do enjoy the warmer sound of the ENGL. The other Guitarist in my band uses a 6505 so i think this will work well

I went from having a 6505+ and a Blackmore to a 6505+ and a Rectifier. Mixed, the 6505 and Recto sound better together than the Blackmore.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Thats a good help. How about Cabs? I have the option of buying an Engl E412SS or i have a Hiwatt Maxwatt M412 which is slightly open backed

With an open back, alot of the tightness of the sound escapes out the back, leading to a 'flubby' tone. The Engl Standard cab has V60s, which are very scooped and harsh. I'd reccomend an Orange PPC 4x12 or Mesa Stiletto 4x12.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd take the Triple but the two sound vastly different, it s a pretty difficult comparison.

I find the Mesa's quieter and they respond a little better to changes in pickups and pedals which I really like, so that's why I'd say Mesa.

The Blackmore, you have to remember a chunk of what your paying is going to the man himself, same with buying a Morse over an Invader or something.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What did Blackmore play before ENGL? I bet you can find that amp, for less :yesway:

jam3v

wat
Reaction score

I wouldn't try to "match" the tone of the other guitarist, or use the same equipment he does. It usually works better if you approach it the other way, from my experience.

For example, I've always used scooped Mesa rigs while the other guitarist in my band has always used mid-heavy Marshalls and Soldanos. We don't compete for frequency - his amp fills in where mine lacks and vice versa.

P.S. Again, just my experience, I could be totally wrong.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Rectifiers work excellently with Peavey 6505s in live situations :yesway:

')