ENGL E670FE Special Edition Founders Edition

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Looking pretty slick:

E670FE-Special-Edition-003-2400x1600.jpg

ENGL Amplification launches the ENGL E670FE Special Edition Founders Edition: the ultimate high gain amplifier

ENGL Amplification, Germany’s leading manufacturer of tube electric guitar amplifiers since 1983, is extremely proud to announce the launch of the ENGL E670FE Special Edition Founders Edition: the ultimate 100-watt, all-tube high gain amp.

The new E670FE is an updated version of Engl’s legendary E670 Special Edition. The Special Edition amp spent years in the studios of Edmund Engl – the founder of ENGL amps – and was played by many iconic professional guitarists, who all had their own unique thoughts and requests when it came to tone and performance. Over the years, Edmund Engl and senior designer Horst Langer tweaked the Special Edition multiple times, and now it is finally available – on ENGL’s 40th anniversary year – to the public as an amp in ENGL’s standard portfolio as the Founders Edition.

The E670FE – supreme in a stunning black finish with chrome knobs and an in-your-face red-lit front panel illumination – has been tuned and revoiced, but still retains the crushing tones that made the previous Special Edition iconic. The amp, which features five ECC83 preamp tubes and either four 6L6 or four EL34 power amp tubes, delivers a massive range of sounds across its five channels (Clean, Crunch, Lead I, Lead II, and Tubedriver) and nine voicings, from crystal-clear cleans to searing high-gain distortion and everything in between.

The multiple sound-shaping options on board – ranging from powerful EQs and separate gain controls on each channel to Gain Boost, Hi Gain, Mid Shift, Contour, Bright, Mid Edge, Modern Classic, Mega Lo Punch, and Depth Boost switches, alongside a built-in Reverb – help make the Founders Edition one of the most versatile amplifiers on the market. Perhaps the special pick of the bunch is the Tubedriver channel, which bypasses most of the amp’s inner workings to offer the most pure circuit and all-tube tones imaginable.

On top of that, the E670FE – which is handcrafted in Germany to the highest of quality standards using only the finest components and materials – packs a wide array of practical features for the demanding modern guitarist who accepts only the best. The amp is MIDI programmable, so players can save their favorite settings in up to 128 presets with the use of an optional external MIDI controller. There is also a threshold-footswitchable noise gate, a Power Tube Monitor, three tube buffered FX Loops, a line output and multiple cabinet output options on board.

Edmund Engl, the founder of ENGL Amplifiers, said: “We’re thrilled to introduce the E670FE Special Edition Founders Edition. This amplifier is the culmination of our 40 years of experience in crafting high-quality amplifiers that deliver uncompromising tone and versatility, and it is sure to take any guitar player’s tone and performance to the next level!”

Specifications:

ENGL E670FE Special Edition Founders Edition

• Five Channels: Clean, Crunch, Lead I, Lead II, Tubedriver
• All Tube, 100 Watts
• Preamp tubes: 5 x ECC83 (12AX7)
• Power amp tubes: 4 x 6L6 or 4 x EL34
• Three Tube buffered FX Loops (Serial FX Loop, FX Loop I and FX Loop II are variable from serial to parallel)
• Noise Gate with footswitchable threshold
• Power Tube Monitor
• MIDI In / MIDI Thru / S.A.C Port / Dual footswitch Jack
• Sound shaping options: Gain Boost, Hi Gain, Mid Shift, Contour, Bright, Mid Edge, Modern Classic, Mega Lo Punch, Depth Boost
• Controls: Gain (separate for each channel), Bass, Middle, Treble (Clean, Crunch), Bass, Middle, Treble (Lead I, Lead II), Reverb, Volume (separate for each channel), Presence A, Presence B, Master A, Master B
• Controls (Rear): Noise Gate threshold level, FX Loop I Balance, FX Loop II Balance, Tube Driver EQ
• Outputs: 1 x 4 ohms, 2 x 8 ohms, 1 x 8 ohms, 2 x 16 ohms, 1 x 16 ohms
• Line output
• Handcrafted in Germany

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Saw this last night. Looks pretty interesting. I always wanted an SE but their reliability issues and them being discontinued (ie: lack of parts), plus terrible tech support in the US has always kept me from getting one. They say these are handcrafted in Germany, so I'm curious if the QC is going to be significantly better this time around...

Last edited:

narad

Reaction score
Saw this last night. Looks pretty interesting. I always wanted an SE but their reliability issues and them being discontinued (ie: lack of parts), plus terrible tech support in the US has always kept me from getting one. They say these are handceafted in Germany, so I'm curious if the QC is going to be significantly better this time around...

Weren't they always handcrafted in Gemany? But yes, I agree -- probably the only amplifier I've owned where I had sort of complicated reliability issues, and I owned two of them, both had to go to techs.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Weren't they always handcrafted in Gemany? But yes, I agree -- probably the only amplifier I've owned where I had sort of complicated reliability issues, and I owned two of them, both had to go to techs.
I assume they were made in Germany, but "handcrafted" sounds like these are getting extra attention to me. I just assumed they were made on some computer assembly line in Germany, which explains their PCB boards looking like computer parts.

narad

Reaction score
I assume they were made in Germany, but "handcrafted" sounds like these are getting extra attention to me. I just assumed they were made on some computer assembly line in Germany, which explains their PCB boards looking like computer parts.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the PCB boards are placed into the amp "by hand" == handcrafted.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Saw this last night. Looks pretty interesting. I always wanted an SE but their reliability issues and them being discontinued (ie: lack of parts), plus terrible tech support in the US has always kept me from getting one. They say these are handcrafted in Germany, so I'm curious if the QC is going to be significantly better this time around...

Nah as I had somebody point out last night if you had reliability issues you were just unlucky, ENGLs are bullet proof :rofl:

The SE I had that died on me twice with two different issues and then had more issues for the guy I sold it to told me otherwise. Not to mention it was one of the worst amps for RF interference I've every played.

There are a few amps like the Friedman, Artist Edition, and Blackmore that I would love to try but never again. Plus the price difference between Germany and the US is just insane

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I looked at the announcement and though: "What a nice amp for my birthday, it could replace my JCM 800 and PowerBall II" then i saw the price and though ok maybe some other day.

The amp has lots of features and im pretty sure it sounds amazing as all Engls do but 3500€ !?? Even more expensive than Diezels.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I looked at the announcement and though: "What a nice amp for my birthday, it could replace my JCM 800 and PowerBall II" then i saw the price and though ok maybe some other day.

The amp has lots of features and im pretty sure it sounds amazing as all Engls do but 3500€ !?? Even more expensive than Diezels.
I'm not shocked, I think the original SE was like fucking 4 grand in the US? (4200 before it was discontinued, just checked after I typed this lol)

Even more than the H&K Triamp MK2 at the time.

narad

Reaction score
I'm not shocked, I think the original SE was like fucking 4 grand in the US? (4200 before it was discontinued, just checked after I typed this lol)

Even more than the H&K Triamp MK2 at the time.

Which is hilarious in that the Triamp MK2 is a regular $800 used amp now. The SE was definitely a better amp for the stupid amounts of money they were charging.

Though I feel like Diezel set the stage with a really well engineered, great sounding, high quality german product, and the other two companies put their prices up in that range like it's the market, without ever getting QC anywhere near in the vicinity of Diezel. Maybe it's just me as an American, but I have this bias going into buying German things like it's going to be superior quality, but those two brands totally sunk that perception for me.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which is hilarious in that the Triamp MK2 is a regular $800 used amp now. The SE was definitely a better amp for the stupid amounts of money they were charging.

Though I feel like Diezel set the stage with a really well engineered, great sounding, high quality german product, and the other two companies put their prices up in that range like it's the market, without ever getting QC anywhere near in the vicinity of Diezel. Maybe it's just me as an American, but I have this bias going into buying German things like it's going to be superior quality, but those two brands totally sunk that perception for me.

Also like Diezel their markup for the US market is ridiculous... not sure about Japan. Unfortunately unlike Diezel the amps don't have universal PT that you just need to rewire so you can't buy one from Germany and just swap a couple wires.

protest

Reaction score
Nah as I had somebody point out last night if you had reliability issues you were just unlucky, ENGLs are bullet proof :rofl:

The SE I had that died on me twice with two different issues and then had more issues for the guy I sold it to told me otherwise. Not to mention it was one of the worst amps for RF interference I've every played.

There are a few amps like the Friedman, Artist Edition, and Blackmore that I would love to try but never again. Plus the price difference between Germany and the US is just insane

Artist Edition and Inferno are great sounding amps. I really like the Steve Morse as well...but I don't trust them.

I went from a Morse to the Artist Edition because I figured there was less that could go wrong, but the first time I felt just how much those PCBs flexed when I was swapping power tubes was pretty much it for me.

Reaction score
The amp's name sounds stupid: (...) Edition (...) Edition... come on Engl, a bit more effort there, how about FV for Founders Version?... or FM for Founders Make... or whatever else you could brain storm...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The amp's name sounds stupid: (...) Edition (...) Edition... come on Engl, a bit more effort there, how about FV for Founders Version?... or FM for Founders Make... or whatever else you could brain storm...
The amp is called Special Edition, there was never any hope.

Reaction score
The amp is called Special Edition, there was never any hope.
I've tested a long time ago one of the regular Special Edition heads and before I bought my Triaxis, I was leaning towards a Special Edition rack version... It's a good sounding amp nevertheless, but the naming... hopeless...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Artist Edition and Inferno are great sounding amps. I really like the Steve Morse as well...but I don't trust them.

I went from a Morse to the Artist Edition because I figured there was less that could go wrong, but the first time I felt just how much those PCBs flexed when I was swapping power tubes was pretty much it for me.

Yeah they are definitely not premium quality builds :2c:

')