ENGL Fireball 100, Blackmore or a Randall XL series? quick!!!

• Thread starter UltimaWeapon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
I ordered a Randall T2HH about four months ago and still didnt got it, today the Guy who manages the orderings told me if my ordered amp didt came today at the stock then i can choose one of some selected amps and there is good chance to get one of these ENGLs too.... so i need to know which would you choose till 19:00 (middle europe time zone):hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::shred::shred::shred::shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Depends what you're doing. Personally, the FB100 was AMAZING, it just didn't have as many features that I want in an amp (3 channels, non shared EQ, etc). If you aren't really into doing leads so much, the FB100 fucking SLAYS. It was like getting kicked in the fucking chest, and it's loud as fuck too. I remember reading in another thread that someone didn't think it was loud enough. I'd say that's complete lunacy :lol: I tried one out this weekend at The Axe Palace and that was probably one of the loudest amps there.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Ok till now the FB100 wins 2+
Im playing leads... a lot XD... or just trying to play, but i think the third channel can be solved with an OD pedal... Abou tthe Randalls i like the system of swithcing like on T2 (2 channels, 3 modes and with only one Button press on the foot-controller), but on the engls i like their "FAT32" sound XDXD

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
To me, it makes more sense to boost for your rhythm if you're going to pick and choose when to use an OD :lol: The low cut tightens it up. For leads, I like a fatter sound with more bass for my leads. That's why I like 3 channels without a shared EQ :lol:

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
To me, it makes more sense to boost for your rhythm if you're going to pick and choose when to use an OD :lol: The low cut tightens it up. For leads, I like a fatter sound with more bass for my leads. That's why I like 3 channels without a shared EQ :lol:

Or an Axe Fx :squint: t r a i t o r

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Ok till now the FB100 wins 2+
Im playing leads... a lot XD... or just trying to play, but i think the third channel can be solved with an OD pedal... Abou tthe Randalls i like the system of swithcing like on T2 (2 channels, 3 modes and with only one Button press on the foot-controller), but on the engls i like their "FAT32" sound XDXD

if you wanna boost for leads, try an EQ pedal or rack instead

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I can only compare the ENGL to a Mesa. I have an Fireball 100 and a Mesa triple Rec so dont listen to all these other guys that dont own both. I know you didnt ask about the Mesa but Ive been a/b ing them constantly. The fireball 100 has amazing tone for metal and sounds ridiculously good at bedroom levels. It gets loud but it aint no Mesa! My Mesa Triple Rec has way more bottom end and I mean waaay more. But thats what Mesa does best is bottom end. The ENGL does not have a shit ton of bottom end but it does have a killer and I do mean KILLER tone. The ENGL fireball 100 is a lead players dream whereas the Mesa is a low end full headroom players dream when played at higher volumes. The ENGLs mid voicing helps it have an incredible tone though.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
So, you come in here with a comparison he didn't ask for and tell him to completely ignore our opinions even though we've played the amp and then you agree with us that it is a good amp? Uh...yeah.

I didn't mean that it didn't sound good for lead, what I meant is that if you want to dial in a different lead sound from your rhythm (which I do) then you don't have that option. If you want 1 sound for your distortion, the Fireball 100 will do it, amazingly.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
So, you come in here with a comparison he didn't ask for and tell him to completely ignore our opinions even though we've played the amp and then you agree with us that it is a good amp? Uh...yeah.

I didn't mean that it didn't sound good for lead, what I meant is that if you want to dial in a different lead sound from your rhythm (which I do) then you don't have that option. If you want 1 sound for your distortion, the Fireball 100 will do it, amazingly.

Misunderstanding. You have played one and your input should be listened to. Sorry bout that dude. I see what you mean with the one EQ for both channels and third lead channel is important if you do leads. Agreed! But after having a Mesa and hearing the lead sounds on the Fireball Im sort of blown away by it. I can pretty much only compare it to my Mesa. You most likely do have more experience than me with different amps but IMO the lead sounds on this thing are ridiculous. They may not be as cutting as other amps but they are hot! I gave him a comparison he didnt ask for cause I do have a fireball 100 so I felt I should chime in. I thought the Mesa had killer lead tones but I now think the Mesa is better for low end stuff at high volumes and the ENGL is where its at for hot leads and lower volume tight metal stuff but I havent played as many amps as some other guys I can only compare it to what I have I guess. The only thing I too would like about the fireball 100 is a separate EQ for the two channels.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough :lol:

Personally I'd prefer the Fireball for rhythm, and I haven't played the Triple, but I have played the Dual and I wasn't too wowed with the high gain tones, although admittedly I didn't spend even a day with it.

I'm much more a fan of the Mark series, the Mark IV absolutely slayed for leads.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
ooooOoooOOOoookay :D
But what about the Blackmore? it has a 4 channel with shared EQ... and also accesable with one push-press-hit on the pedal. How much changes the sound of the engles? I mean to compare a Fireball vs Powerball... or Powerball vs Invader... whats the main feature?

I want to ask also if i would have a 2 channel with a shared eq, and i would adjust the rhytm sound on the amp then how can i kick the solo??? A OD, rack??? (if rack then which one) or EQ would be better???
Because my sound style on rhytm and lead is different... When it goes for leads i like it with a little bit of compression, Short Delay...

The good Thing about the Randalls is that they have a MIDI in and out for footcontrol, so no prob for switching to leads rhytm or whatever FX XD

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
The FB100 sounds warmer then my T2 but they are actually pretty similiar. Both really clear and tight with cool gain voicings and shared eq. T2 has midi though, which is totally awesome. Theres really no point in investing in a midi rig if you dont gig though

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I say get the FB100. Unless you like the ENGL sound, then maybe the Blackmore might be more your thing.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
The FB100 sounds warmer then my T2 but they are actually pretty similiar. Both really clear and tight with cool gain voicings and shared eq. T2 has midi though, which is totally awesome. Theres really no point in investing in a midi rig if you dont gig though

I just like the simplicity XD why would i push 10 buttons on the loor to ge from clean to Lead with tons of effects :D im not saying that i use such a setting but u know its easier :D for that reason i bought the Morley Mark tremonti pedal... no switch no trouble :)

But how can i get a cool hearable lead sound? When i was recently on a gig, guys from Secret Sphere used a Valveking which didnt cut through the band level and the sound engeneer had to volume the lead guitar up when it came to Lead parts, Then came Freedom Call which was awesome, The lead guitarist used a Peavey XXX (probably reconnected with preamp or something because the channel setting was always on green) and the tone was soooo amazing, i could hear every single note perfectly, not like a mess. And i heard that Engles (low ended) have problems cut through band levels...

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
The FB100 sounds pretty awesome. I was able to compare it side by side with the FB60 through the same cab. The FB60 is much tighter, has more gain on tap, and more compressed. The FB100 didn't have the same amount of gain on tap, but was much more open, much more mids.. It sort of reminded me of the Invader tone-wise. Now I know you didn't say anything about the FB60, but I thought it was a cool comparison and good knowledge to share. I sort of summed it up like this: The FB100 seems more like the Invader with shared eq and just the 2 channels. The FB60 seems like the Powerball with shared eq and 2 channels.

I vote FB100. It had a sick lead tone. Definitely tight like Engl is known for too, but not with the same compression like their known for. It seems the newer stuff they're coming out with is more organic sounding.

I know I was a little off topic here, but I didn't compare the FB100 to any Randalls right then and there. The T2 is great, but I would pick an Engl over a Randall anyday.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I would pick an Engl over a Randall anyday.
:agreed:

Get the Fireball dude. Ive had mine for under a week and I cant leave it alone. Im still dialing it in. Like JJ said, if you need a lead channel you might want to look into a 3 channel ENGL though cause with this amp the lows are actually extremely tight and the bottom is actually real good if the gain is set to noon or lower and then the leads scream when the gain is high like at 3 o clock. Fireball 100 rules. I was gonna get an EVH 5150 iii but Im glad I went with the Fireball.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
i almost forgot... what about the Marshalls JVM410h? In the last time i didnt heard anything good about the relabilities, but the 4th channel is awesome (i played on it XD muhaha).

The thing with the fireball 100 is that i need solos :/ i cant play just rhytm... and the other thing is that the FB100 isnt at stock untill another 30 days :(((( sh*t...

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I would get the ENGL FB100.

You can always put a nice EQ and delay in the FX loop and have an instant lead tone.

')